Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP lane position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does drive a little further over to the left than most human drivers do, but if you look in the mirrors you can see that it drives exactly in the middle of the lane (equal space from the curb and to the centre of the road).

The no way to set an offset that i know of.. but this would be a nice "feature".
You do kind of get used to how it drives after a while though!

This is moot, because we already know that the forthcoming new software version that is currently being beta-tested behaves much more intelligently.

The only downside is that we may have to wait for a few months until we get it. Meanwhile I disable the autopilot on country roads when I see an oncoming bus or truck that drives on the centerline. I steer to the side, and after passing I re-enable the autopilot. If you want to keep the speed, you can do it just by steering, but that leads to a sideways jerk. Therefore I usually disable the autopilot altogether in such situations, particularly with passengers.

Reactions: timpharrison
I'm glad its not just me that is noticing this. I was going to write a post detailing the behaviour and see if its normal but apparently its part of the design of autopilot. I notice particularly on motorways the car biases itself slightly to the left of a lane in AP. I'm used to the feeling of sitting just to the right of an imaginary centerline of a motorway lane (in a RHD car) . In the Model 3 on AP I often feel like my body is sitting above the centerline of the lane rather than just to the right. I find myself subconsciously tugging the wheel right even when on AP, as if the tracking was off (which it isnt). Kind of annoying but I've gotten used to it now.

I thought initially maybe the camera calibration could have something to do with it.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
It can also change from release to release although does seem to have settled more recently. Actually, it can change from one drive to another! I had one release where the car would meander drunkenly up the lane wandering from side to side... thankfully that release was only limited users and didn't last very long.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I'd agree that it's centre on the carriageway, but it thinks I'm closer to obstacles on the left than I really am. It really moans driving along thin country lanes with high hedges, as well as the motorway lorry jitters

I’ve always felt it was to the left of the lane on motorways and the like. I certainly find myself breathing in when passing a lorry and sometimes cancel AP to move over. Haven’t tried the latest software yet, but I would be very happy if it has improved.

Every new owner feels the same, we are so used to driving to the right of our lane being in the centre feels wrong. It will actually move further to the right more if you are overtaking a particularly wide vehicle.

You get used to it, and it is more correct than you are.

Reactions: Obliter8
Think you will find i'm always correct :)

You probably are!

My opinion is that there is no set position within the lane that should apply at all times. If travelling on a motorway with heavy vehicles in a lane to your left then it seems best to drive slightly to the right within your own lane to allow extra space ... of course when checking mirrors you may see traffic coming up on the right lane behind you and it would then be best to move more centrally within your own lane. I'm sure many/most human drivers do this kind of thing all the time varying position to give optimum clearance. If going outside the strict Autopilot parameters and experimenting on single carriageways then you are going to position slightly left of your lane if there's approaching traffic and if there's enough width to play with ... and if the potholes and crumbling road edge on your left allows it! The fact that Autopilot doesn't currently do this kind of thing adds too much tension to a journey for me to use it routinely.

My opinion is that there is no set position within the lane that should apply at all times. If travelling on a motorway with heavy vehicles in a lane to your left then it seems best to drive slightly to the right within your own lane to allow extra space ... of course when checking mirrors you may see traffic coming up on the right lane behind you and it would then be best to move more centrally within your own lane. I'm sure many/most human drivers do this kind of thing all the time varying position to give optimum clearance. If going outside the strict Autopilot parameters and experimenting on single carriageways then you are going to position slightly left of your lane if there's approaching traffic and if there's enough width to play with ... and if the potholes and crumbling road edge on your left allows it! The fact that Autopilot doesn't currently do this kind of thing adds too much tension to a journey for me to use it routinely.

I agree 100% with this. Driving around local roads, even the A30, which is a road I drive on a lot, I tend to position the car further away from the hedges and banks that are often right at the very edge of the road. Autopilot wants to stay uncomfortably close to the left hand side of the road in those conditions, but then I suspect it's only really intended to be used on relatively wide dual carriageways and motorways, not rural A and B roads.

I've pretty much given up on using AP. For me it sits too far left and still horribly inconsistent. I engaged it a few days ago to see if anyhing had improved with the last update and I swear it almost put me into the kerb. This was on a fairly gentle bend on the A38. Fortunately I didn't buy the car for any of the claimed self-driving features so I can't really claim to be disappointed. But it is a bit cr@p in its current form. Way more relaxing just driving and enjoying the car IMHO.

Reactions: Yachtsman

Please do not use the words "left" and "right", because they are meaningless by themselves, as long as the reader does not know whether you mean left-hand traffic or right-hand traffic. Sure, if I analyze the text long enough, I can probably find out, but you and everybody else can make this easier by referring to the edge of the road, the centerline, the passing lane, the shoulder, the driver side, etc.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ricecooker