Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Racing Radi-CAL Front Competition Brake Kit Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The estimated brake temperatures from SMT are all way too high now with these new brakes, of course. I assume everyone gets the "brake temperature high" warning popping up all the time on track with their BBKs?

The estimated brake temperatures from SMT are all way too high now with these new brakes, of course. I assume everyone gets the "brake temperature high" warning popping up all the time on track with their BBKs?

Depends on the compound of your pads. If they are more aggressive than stock, they you shouldn't get any brake temp warning as you will be using the brake for a shorter duration. Right now I rarely hear the brake temp overheat warning.

Depends on the compound of your pads. If they are more aggressive than stock, they you shouldn't get any brake temp warning as you will be using the brake for a shorter duration. Right now I rarely hear the brake temp overheat warning.
Unless Tesla uses brakes pressure in their model - it won't work like that. Because brake duration doesn't depend on pads friction, only brakes pressure is different.

Unless Tesla uses brakes pressure in their model - it won't work like that. Because brake duration doesn't depend on pads friction, only brakes pressure is different.

just speculation, I've had done exact same setup except for more aggressive pads and the brake temp warning came up much later.

Seems like pressure would make sense for this system since these larger calipers would result in less pressure vs OEM right? Plus then as things heat up you have slight increase in brake fluid compressibility which is what they could be measuring as a further pressure decrease that drops below a pre-set threshold?

Seems like pressure would make sense for this system since these larger calipers would result in less pressure vs OEM right? Plus then as things heat up you have slight increase in brake fluid compressibility which is what they could be measuring as a further pressure decrease that drops below a pre-set threshold?

Even thought the calipers are larger and more piston, the piston area are generally kept the same as OEM in order to not change brake bias. I am not sure about using brake pressure to model brake temp but what you say is also a possibility.

Track mode V2 does record brake pressure it seems. You can see it from my friend's video.

• Informative
Reactions: kbecks13
So far I've only been bedding the brakes, so my comment was based on that.
Yesterday, I saw an estimated temperature of around 1200 deg. and at that point I got the warning, but the actual brake temperature was nowhere near that.

I may find the warning doesn't come up on track, but how the estimated temperature is calculated still seems to be a bit of a mystery.

That is the opposite of my experience. Frequently had overheating warning on stock calipers, have only ever seen it once on the 3 different BBK's on an extremely hot day.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
I just took it out again to do some more bedding and got the brakes over a true 1000F according to the temperature paint I put on the rotors and got the warning on screen again. I doubt I'll be getting these new brakes up to that sort of temperature on track very often, if at all so all looks good to me.

BTW, I decided to leave the anti knockback springs out, but I'm getting quite loud pad rattle so with hindsight that was maybe not the best decision. I may very well put them back in later if the rattle annoys me enough.

I'm going to bleed them again later today and then I'm off to the track tomorrow to give them a proper work out. :)

• Love
Reactions: MasterC17
I just took it out again to do some more bedding and got the brakes over a true 1000F according to the temperature paint I put on the rotors and got the warning on screen again. I doubt I'll be getting these new brakes up to that sort of temperature on track very often, if at all so all looks good to me.

BTW, I decided to leave the anti knockback springs out, but I'm getting quite loud pad rattle so with hindsight that was maybe not the best decision. I may very well put them back in later if the rattle annoys me enough.

I'm going to bleed them again later today and then I'm off to the track tomorrow to give them a proper work out. :)

do you have the spring clip?
spring clip.jpg

Yeah, I think even with AKB springs, you'll have issues with the rattling. You should ask AP if there is local distributor that has similar solution. If not, I am sure one of us can help you get them from Essex.
I'm talking to their main distributor about this but they have quite a long backlog of work so I reckon it would be quite a while before I'd see anything from them. PM me if you're willing to order a few of those and post them to the UK for me and I'll buy you a pint, or whatever it is you drink over there :D

Quick report on the brakes from yesterday. This was a short track so not overly taxing on brakes, but even with XP10 pads, the standard setup would give overheat warnings after 5 or 6 laps in the dry.

The AP setup is just totally consistent. With new calipers, pads and rotors it takes a while to get everything properly bedded of course, but I'd say by my second session yesterday it was all where it needed to be. Lots of feedback through the pedal and very stable and predictable. Temperatures never got anywhere near where they were before. I was braking much later than I could before with no concerns.

I need to get the car on a bigger circuit at some point to see how it copes with that, but for now I'm really happy (once I've fixed the rattling!)