Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 NDE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, while driving on motorway’s left lane, a truck suddenly changed lane and went in front of me.
In that very moment unfortunately I was not paying enough attention to the road.
Collision alarm popped up just half second before my 2016 Model S hit the back of the truck, I could do nothing to avoid the impact.
No injuries but my Tesla is almost competely destroyed.

I think I have had luck.

I also think Tesla AP1 is a VERY DANGEROUS DEVICE who should not be allowed to be used on open road.

Marco

Sounds like you would have hit the truck with or without AP1. All any driver aid can do is decrease but not eliminate the risk of an accident. Thank your lucky stars no one was hurt maybe because you were driving the safest car on the planet
Perhaps after we get FSD, AP3 will be released which will alert us to impending accidents by reading the minds of surrounding drivers LOL

Yes, sorry for that.

I know that complaints are not welcome in this forum.

I just do not understand why.

Attachments

• 1D4F534F-933E-4A85-9E6F-C005257A09DC.jpeg
    1D4F534F-933E-4A85-9E6F-C005257A09DC.jpeg
    819.1 KB · Views: 108
Wow,

Getting into an accident is bad enough, but posting pictures of your car and then admitting you were paying attention exposes you to significant liability. What do you think the attorney for the driver you hit would think if you saw this post, recognize your car and noticed that you stated you were paying attention when you hit him. You may want to consider taking down this post.

OP, I assume AP1 was actually driving the car?

There is definitely a delay before AP2 will react to a merging vehicle in my experience. That's one of the cases you need to be alert for when driving with Autopilot. Probably delays the collision alert as well. AP is completely unable to predict the behavior of other vehicles.

Reactions: IdaX
I was not sleeping neither checking my phone or doing worst things.
Just switching from radio to TuneIn Podcast on the main screen.
Police arrived, understood what happened and no one was fined.
The truck driver changed lane without noting I was arriving and Tesla AP1 did not react at all but in the last half second.

Why this simple fact is disturbing you all so much?
I love Tesla, I think Elon is a genious and I am not willing to harm him of the company.

If I report my experience is to inform other Tesla drivers that AP1 is not still safe and that very same attention as while driving manually is needed.
(and here comes my question, then what is the benefit of using AP ?)
Secondary I trust also negative experience are needed for Tesla Engineers to continue to improve their hardware and algorithms.
Exspecially if they come from an European driver: higher motorway speeds, narrower lanes, closer bend..

Observations and criticisms are welcome here. Concluding from getting into an accident while "not paying enough attention to the road" that "Tesla AP1 is a VERY DANGEROUS DEVICE" will get some push back. AP1 was designed to be a super sophisticated cruise control but never FSD. Your input is appreciated as a warning to all of us to not get distracted or lulled into complacency by the technology. Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Why this simple fact is disturbing you all so much?

If I report my experience is to inform other Tesla drivers that AP1 is not still safe and that very same attention as while driving manually is needed. (and here comes my question, then what is the benefit of using AP ?)
Secondary I trust also negative experience are needed for Tesla Engineers to continue to improve their hardware and algorithms.
Exspecially if they come from an European driver: higher motorway speeds, narrower lanes, closer bend..

The disturbing part is the fact is that you are incapable of realising your failure and comprehending that this was your sole mistake, all alone, yet you try to place blame on driver aids/driver assistance which is clearly labelled as BETA (However BETA or not... is besides the point). A system which is not designed for the so-called benefit you think it should provide.

This is in your owner's manual and on the settings menu where you enabled such function. When you enabled it, it will clearly state that it's function requires a fully attentive driver. It also says this, "Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause serious property damage, injury or death."

"Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed for your driving comfort and convenience and is not a collision warning or avoidance system. It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times. Never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model S. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death."

"Warning: Although Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is capable of detecting pedestrians and cyclists, never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model S for them. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death."

Autopilot is a broad term which Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer makes up of. Even aircraft autopilot does not mean the pilot can be any less attentive.

The "Autopilot" system has a lot of flaws... sure... however... your experience is in no way a negative experience for the system to learn anything from... because of the fact this accident was caused by the european driver who failed to remain fully attentive.

Here is a snippet from the latest version of the owner's manual... (Ex-Owner for you)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 3.10.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 3.10.19 PM.png
    174.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 3.17.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 3.17.04 PM.png
    280.9 KB · Views: 83
Sounds like you would have hit the truck with or without AP1. All any driver aid can do is decrease but not eliminate the risk of an accident. Thank your lucky stars no one was hurt maybe because you were driving the safest car on the planet
Perhaps after we get FSD, AP3 will be released which will alert us to impending accidents by reading the minds of surrounding drivers LOL
To be fair, a driver aid can also make you pay less attention to the road.
The total risk of an accident might be reduced (debatable), but the total risk profile is different.
For example, AP would greatly reduce the chance of an accident if you fell asleep at the wheel.
But AP would slightly increase the chance of hitting a pothole then crashing from a blown tire.

The disturbing part is the fact is that you are incapable of realising your failure and comprehending that this was your sole mistake, all alone, yet you try to place blame on driver aids/driver assistance which is clearly labelled as BETA (However BETA or not... is besides the point). A system which is not designed for the so-called benefit you think it should provide.

This is in your owner's manual and on the settings menu where you enabled such function. When you enabled it, it will clearly state that it's function requires a fully attentive driver. It also says this, "Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause serious property damage, injury or death."

"Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed for your driving comfort and convenience and is not a collision warning or avoidance system. It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times. Never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model S. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death."

"Warning: Although Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is capable of detecting pedestrians and cyclists, never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model S for them. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death."

Autopilot is a broad term which Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer makes up of. Even aircraft autopilot does not mean the pilot can be any less attentive.

The "Autopilot" system has a lot of flaws... sure... however... your experience is in no way a negative experience for the system to learn anything from... because of the fact this accident was caused by the european driver who failed to remain fully attentive.

Here is a snippet from the latest version of the owner's manual... (Ex-Owner for you)
Of course it is a negative experience for the system to learn from.
For one, it teaches that a disclaimer in the manual doesn't change the fact that humans lose concentration when they don't need to concentrate for long periods of time.