Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 new software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Max* - pretty sure I know the road you are describing - going on a tangent here.. Just in case you are unfamiliar. In Virginia, if they clock you at either 20 miles over the limit or above 80, it's Reckless Driving, which is a criminal offense not a ticket. Will cost $xxxx to hire a lawyer to get you off.. How do I know? Daughter believed she was safe in rush hour - now knows better.. My advice is don't go over 75 on that road.
For anyone else curious, I was talking about the Dulles Toll Road. Used to take it to work everyday when I worked out in the boonies.

And thanks Skipdd, I do know that. I try to go below the reckless limit at all times.

They changed the laws in recent (well maybe not so recent, 2008 I think) years. IIRC, used to be reckless = automatic $1k+ ticket. They removed that, but it's still expensive and stays on your driving record for a while.

For anyone else curious, I was talking about the Dulles Toll Road. Used to take it to work everyday when I worked out in the boonies.

And thanks Skipdd, I do know that. I try to go below the reckless limit at all times.

They changed the laws in recent (well maybe not so recent, 2008 I think) years. IIRC, used to be reckless = automatic $1k+ ticket. They removed that, but it's still expensive and stays on your driving record for a while.

Me too:). I have an office in Herndon, so I'm a frequent traveler on this route.

If the best thing that can be said of a software update is that it hasn't broken any previous functionality, maybe it's time to slow down the updates until they actually have some notable improvements and they can be tested prior to having the entire forum discuss the f-ups.

u00mem9, thanks for expressing a pet peeve I've heard more than once. If the vagueness in the release notes is to discourage negative comments from MS owners who would not otherwise notice what was "improved", I can see the logic from TMC's standpoint.
But as an owner, I prefer knowing before I update what the geniuses have in store for me. So whether the rationale is defensiveness or just plain laziness, useless release notes are at best disrespectful and at worst militantly destructive of owners' rights to know how our cars' performance will be affected by the updates.
I love my car, just don't appreciate the condescension of murky release notes.

If the vagueness in the release notes is to discourage negative comments from MS owners who would not otherwise notice what was "improved", I can see the logic from TMC's standpoint.

We've talked about this quite a bit in the past. We surmised that the lack of release notes is likely a legal one -- Tesla doesn't want to publish what they fixed, as that would be admitting that something was broken. And if it has anything to do with safety or performance, that could lead people to cause lots of legal trouble for Tesla (say for cars that are not yet updated). Also, Tesla has always been a tight-lipped company, and only supplies information on a "need-to-know" basis, including their employees! The only time Tesla has published release notes for the firmware upgrades is during a large upgrade where there are many new or enhanced features, and even then, it's more of a "user manual" than release notes, and it's always AFTER the update has been applied. You never get to see what's going to be applied before hand unless you read TMC and see what other people got. We're never going to get release notes like you're accustomed to for other technology products with bug fixes and minor changes.