Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 new software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will actually care as long as the majority of other cars on the road drive at +5-10 mph, which is the norm in most places in US. It will take quite a while until most people own a self-driving vehicle so that everyone is exactly at speed limit. For now, driving at +5 when most everyone else is at +10 is very disturbing and actually dangerous for all traffic participants - unless you enjoy the big truck image steadily growing in your rear-view mirror. You will question for a while if the driver will actually run over you, but you will understand his / her gentle nature when they eventually pass you, all along looking at you and mumbling words you do not care to hear.....

What bothers me most is that the AP1 version I had 6 months ago was nearly flawless for me.
You won't care, because if your car really is self driving you'll be lying on the back seat with your feet up reading a kindle, with 80s music blasting on your Walkman.

Today I noticed on my way to work at 6am in the morning, I was still speed restricted on the highway, but on the way home, it was unrestricted as it should be

2017 AP1 firmware 17.24.28

I was speed restricted on Friday, but not yesterday.

Yesterday I had no speed restrictions taking multiple trips on two-lane roads. I suppose this is too good to be true and won't last.

updated to .30

short story: I don't see how there are so many complaints... AP has always been great, and is even better now
that being said:

I use it exclusively on highway/freeways. it seems like a lot of people are complaining about 30 mph type speed limits... I was under the impression that AP1 in it's current form, is not intended for street driving. So i don't use it on the streets. Seems pointless with stop signs and traffic lights.

I don't know how many of the complaints are a result of loss aversion: meaning maybe when AP was less restrictive, then you take stuff away, people complain... I've always had nags, and they don't bother me at all. the +5 restriction never bothered me... but i don't use it on 55 or less anyways.

cBut the new update is noticeably better for me. Granted, I did not get a chance to drive it with the .28 update, as it is not my daily driver. So i can't compare it to that. Here is what I've seen:

lane changes are so much smoother and quicker:

before, when i activated the turn signal, it would take at least 2 seconds before it made a move to change lanes. I could only use it when I knew it was clear, and would stay clear. I couldn't depend on it to speed up or slow down to make a lane change in a timely manner. NOW? I use the turn signal, it goes. if it senses a car, it waits for the pass, then goes, or it speeds up and goes.

which segues into my second observation: it reacts quicker to cars moving into my lane... it seems like once it senses a lane change from another car, it starts to smoothly decel . Before: it would wait until it is completely in my lane in front of me, then brakes hard to maintain distance. there were times i had to deactivate AP to prevent a hard brake

nag frequency was definitely not more often

it seems to stay centered better... i know there have been many times that it would ride too far right in the lane when passing a semi.. and i would have to maneuver the car away (trying to ease it to the other side of the lane, vs deactivating AP). now? it doesn't do that anymore.

I still have yet to test blind spot reactions... i am interested if i activate a lane change right when a car is a 1/2 second from entering my blind spot, will it see it in time and react. before update, i could easily cause an accident if i didn't check my blind spot.

and zero issues with speed limits.

I don't see how there are so many complaints...
I use it exclusively on highway/freeways.
Well then there ya go!

it seems like a lot of people are complaining about 30 mph type speed limits...
There are other roads, that are not classified as "highways", that have more than a 30mph speed limit :confused:

There's a local (let's call it "road", I don't know if it's a freeway or a highway or a speedway or street, or whatever) that has a speed limit of 45mph, and in places has a concrete Jersey barrier divider, and in other places it's just a grass median. Typical flow of traffic is about 55mph, so when AP restricts me to +5mph, it becomes not very useful. At least let me do +10mph in places where there's a concrete divider! (it was no restriction prior to the update)

Well then there ya go!

There are other roads, that are not classified as "highways", that have more than a 30mph speed limit :confused:

There's a local (let's call it "road", I don't know if it's a freeway or a highway or a speedway or street, or whatever) that has a speed limit of 45mph, and in places has a concrete Jersey barrier divider, and in other places it's just a grass median. Typical flow of traffic is about 55mph, so when AP restricts me to +5mph, it becomes not very useful. At least let me do +10mph in places where there's a concrete divider! (it was no restriction prior to the update)

I had great luck submitting a bug report.

Reactions: Max*
I guess part of my point is that reading this thread, and others... this update is the worst thing to happen to the car, and everyone regrets updating, and others are glad they didn't update.. and the one guy upthread who said it was fine got dumped on...

i'm here to say, my AP1 is working better than ever with the update... the word silk comes to mind.

i'm here to say, my AP1 is working better than ever with the update... the word silk comes to mind.
That's great for you, but you admitted above that you only drive on the highway/freeway, so you wouldn't be experiencing the pain that the rest of us are experiencing on our regular commutes. Kinda like saying "I personally prefer rolling down my windows, so I don't know why everyone is complaining about the air conditioning not working well."

• Love
Reactions: u00mem9 and Max*
Just got an update yesterday. 17.26.17 (I think?), they removed the +5mph restriction on the road that I traveled on. So it's back to normal, thank you Tesla.

They may have went a little too far though, not that I'm complaining. I tested it on a city street with a 30mph speed limit, and there was no +5mph restriction (not that I'd ever go more than +5mph there, just was curious).

Just got an update yesterday. 17.26.17 (I think?), they removed the +5mph restriction on the road that I traveled on. So it's back to normal, thank you Tesla.

They may have went a little too far though, not that I'm complaining. I tested it on a city street with a 30mph speed limit, and there was no +5mph restriction (not that I'd ever go more than +5mph there, just was curious).

Heads-up, I have this load as well and it's not recognizing speed limit signs properly. I created a thread on this yesterday. Car read a 35 mph sign as 80 mph.

• Informative

I'm still on 17.24.30 and as of Friday morning I still had the +5mph restriction on a road along my commute that didn't have this restriction before. But this morning the restriction was gone! There must have been some kind of map update or something to fix this outside the normal software updates. I saw others experienced the same thing where the restriction existed Friday morning but by Friday evening it was gone, with no software update.

• Informative
17.24.17 AP1 update is good so far. They have been changing the speed database independent of firmware cause the speed restriction problem was fixed before the update. This update seems very smooth at slowing down in advance for stopped/slow cars, and lane changes are quick and confident.

That's great for you, but you admitted above that you only drive on the highway/freeway, so you wouldn't be experiencing the pain that the rest of us are experiencing on our regular commutes. Kinda like saying "I personally prefer rolling down my windows, so I don't know why everyone is complaining about the air conditioning not working well."
Sounds like your problem is mis-classification of roads, not a flaw in AP.
if you feel your daily commute road deserves to be classified as a freeway or highway (and so have less speed restriction) maybe you could email Tesla.

Just as a cultural aside: in Australia it's pretty much impossible to get away with exceeding the speed limit by more than 10 kph (6mph) without getting booked, so the +10kph restriction on our local roads isn't actually too onerous.
From my studies of your great nation (mainly old episodes of The Dukes of Hazzard) I had thought you had a similarly enthusiastic police force.

• Funny
Reactions: jgs
Sounds like your problem is mis-classification of roads, not a flaw in AP.
if you feel your daily commute road deserves to be classified as a freeway or highway (and so have less speed restriction) maybe you could email Tesla.

Just as a cultural aside: in Australia it's pretty much impossible to get away with exceeding the speed limit by more than 10 kph (6mph) without getting booked, so the +10kph restriction on our local roads isn't actually too onerous.
From my studies of your great nation (mainly old episodes of The Dukes of Hazzard) I had thought you had a similarly enthusiastic police force.
The police mantra goes something like this "Under 9[mph] and you're fine, over 9[mph] and you're mine"

Going +5-10mph is fairly safe, but it mostly depends on the highway, flow of traffic, and meeting ticket quota for the month

As an anecdotal evidence: We have a highway here with a speed limit of 55mph, the average flow of traffic is 75mph. If you're doing 80mph+ they'll go after you. But I've seen lots of cars fly by the police speed traps at 75mph and never get stopped.

Reactions: Austral
The police mantra goes something like this "Under 9[mph] and you're fine, over 9[mph] and you're mine"

Going +5-10mph is fairly safe, but it mostly depends on the highway, flow of traffic, and meeting ticket quota for the month

As an anecdotal evidence: We have a highway here with a speed limit of 55mph, the average flow of traffic is 75mph. If you're doing 80mph+ they'll go after you. But I've seen lots of cars fly by the police speed traps at 75mph and never get stopped.
Interesting. I wish our police were more easygoing like that. Speeding is on a par with infanticide in this country.

You can't leave hands off for more than a few seconds now.

I haven't seen change at all in the nagging behavior or frequency. Stressed environments such as poor lines, sharp curves, construction and massive change in speeds would nag more, in all other areas when you maintain around 5+mph speed limit it rarely nags.I have a freeway here with speed limit of 70 and with AP at 75, it would nag after 10 minutes..

@Max* - pretty sure I know the road you are describing - going on a tangent here.. Just in case you are unfamiliar. In Virginia, if they clock you at either 20 miles over the limit or above 80, it's Reckless Driving, which is a criminal offense not a ticket. Will cost $xxxx to hire a lawyer to get you off.. How do I know? Daughter believed she was safe in rush hour - now knows better.. My advice is don't go over 75 on that road.