Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 new software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I was convinced to upgrade from my now seemingly treasured 7.1 to the latest. I feel like I've done a huge disservice to myself and the car, mainly because of the increased +5 mph restrictions.

The good thing is Tesla listens, sometimes. We need to blow up the twitter feed and be relentless with customer service complaints until we gain past AP1 functionality back.

Some are talking about gimping AP1 so AP2 doesn't seem as bad—that's pretty much conspiracy theory, and one that I'd be hella pissed about if it has any shred of truth.

The summary screen said something along the lines of "continued improvements to the software" without any detail being given. As already mentioned, there is the "improvement" of limiting autosteer to +5 mph on interstate. It still keeps too close to the right lane marker (and displays so on the screen), even when trucks are in the right lane - scary. Car keeps starting on random FM radio stations instead of internet radio. To me it is a worthless change, sorry I upgraded. I am on AP1.

My car keeps starting on FM radio stations as well. But, it was doing this occasionally before the update. It's is incredibly annoying, and it didn't start with an update. So I have no idea what causes it.

There also isn't the limitation of autosteer to +5mph on interstates with this update. With this update people are noticing more roads being limited, but that's because they changed where they get the information on road type. I imagine there are likely quite a few issues with the new source. Where it's not correct.

The release notes were piss poor on this update. We should have been informed of the change in the source for the road type. To avoid confusion.

Well I was convinced to upgrade from my now seemingly treasured 7.1 to the latest. I feel like I've done a huge disservice to myself and the car, mainly because of the increased +5 mph restrictions.

The good thing is Tesla listens, sometimes. We need to blow up the twitter feed and be relentless with customer service complaints until we gain past AP1 functionality back.

Some are talking about gimping AP1 so AP2 doesn't seem as bad—that's pretty much conspiracy theory, and one that I'd be hella pissed about if it has any shred of truth.

AP1 gets worse AP2 gets maybe slightly better.. faster road to parity. I would call that a shred of truth.

My car keeps starting on FM radio stations as well. But, it was doing this occasionally before the update. It's is incredibly annoying, and it didn't start with an update. So I have no idea what causes it.

There also isn't the limitation of autosteer to +5mph on interstates with this update. With this update people are noticing more roads being limited, but that's because they changed where they get the information on road type. I imagine there are likely quite a few issues with the new source. Where it's not correct.

The release notes were piss poor on this update. We should have been informed of the change in the source for the road type. To avoid confusion.
My ap1 vehicle started doing some boneheaded things after the update. Wonder if is because of the map updates. After traveling my normal commute 4 times, it appears to have gotten better (still on .28 not .30) there were some sections that it would ever off road, my last trip it did not (as much).

Also, speed limits off freeways are less accurate. Definite change of database. Known good speed limits, and divided highways are now frequently broken. Sigh...

Also had car freak (red car, collision alert, etc) when car pulled into turning lane ahead of me on road I use multiple times per day. Have noticed only negatives with the update.

I updated to 17.24.28 over the weekend and am also experiencing the +5 MPH limitation on an expressway I use daily to work. This makes auto steer useless since traffic typically goes +10 to +15 MPH over the speed limit. Yesterday I updated to 17.24.30 hoping it would fix this, but unfortunately it didn't.

Contrary to the conspiracy theories here, I propose another explanation. Multiple sources have suggested Tesla switched it's data provider from Garmin to TomTom. Perhaps the +5 MPH limitation is not due to a change in the software but rather the data provided by TomTom. For instance, where Garmin may have identified a road as a 4 lane divided road, TomTom may be identifying that same road as undivided. Thus the software is applying the +5 limitation differently.

I'm not saying Tesla didn't change the software, but it's also very possible they didn't and the changes we're seeing are relating to the data provider change. If this is true, the unfortunate thing is it will likely be a permanent change unless TomTom updates it's database. Given how long they've been around that seems unlikely.

I updated to 17.24.28 over the weekend and am also experiencing the +5 MPH limitation on an expressway I use daily to work. This makes auto steer useless since traffic typically goes +10 to +15 MPH over the speed limit. Yesterday I updated to 17.24.30 hoping it would fix this, but unfortunately it didn't.

Contrary to the conspiracy theories here, I propose another explanation. Multiple sources have suggested Tesla switched it's data provider from Garmin to TomTom. Perhaps the +5 MPH limitation is not due to a change in the software but rather the data provided by TomTom. For instance, where Garmin may have identified a road as a 4 lane divided road, TomTom may be identifying that same road as undivided. Thus the software is applying the +5 limitation differently.

I'm not saying Tesla didn't change the software, but it's also very possible they didn't and the changes we're seeing are relating to the data provider change. If this is true, the unfortunate thing is it will likely be a permanent change unless TomTom updates it's database. Given how long they've been around that seems unlikely.
I know ap1 can read signs and lane markings, and ap2 goes off of GPS data, what can't ap1 go by what it sees not by what it's told, also if Tesla wants to be the best it's hard to imagine Google maps wouldn't be the choice, although their competing platform waymo may have some conflict there.

Reactions: u00mem9
I know ap1 can read signs and lane markings, and ap2 goes off of GPS data, what can't ap1 go by what it sees not by what it's told, also if Tesla wants to be the best it's hard to imagine Google maps wouldn't be the choice, although their competing platform waymo may have some conflict there.

Reading the speed limit signs and lane markings doesn't tell you if it's a divided road or not, which seems to be what is used to enforce the +5 MPH limit on auto steer. I personally haven't experienced a problem where the car showed the wrong speed limit, just that it's limiting me to +5 MPH over that limit on roads it didn't before.

Also, assuming AP1 can read speed limit signs, I'm sure it's not foolproof and is likely intended to supplement the data from TomTom or Garmin, not replace it.

Regarding Google Maps, Tesla is already using Google maps. I think you are talking about Google routing/navigation, but unlike maps, Google does not provide an API for routing/navigation. And one shouldn't assume they are interested in sharing this technology with anyone, even for a price. They likely want people to use Android Auto to access their routing/navigation.

On my AP1 car it seems like a visual reading of the speed limit signs is used almost exclusivly. Most of the time when I turn onto a new road I don’t get a speed limit display at all until I pass a speed limit sign. Occasionally on bigger roads and highways I will get a display as soon as I turn onto the road, but any visible speed limit signs override the one that it magically comes up with. There are a few places where I regularly travel that are under construction now and even though it knows that the normal highway speed limit is 70 and that shows up as soon as I enter the highway, as soon as it sees a 55 sign from the construction the displayed speed limit drops to 55.

The only time I’ve seen this have an isuse is one spot on the highway where there is an exit that runs parallel to the highway for a few hundred yards. The speed limit on the highway is 65 at that point, but there is a 55mph sign for the exit that’s between the highway and the exit and often the car will pick up the 55mph sign while I’m on the highway. It doesn’t affect my AP speed as it knows that it’s a highway and doesn’t limit me there and as soon as it sees the real 65mph sign half a mile later it bumps the display back up.

As far as speed limitation on secondary roads goes, it seems like the speed limit plus 5 is what the car allows (although I did have one update for a few weeks that limited me to the speed limit plus 0, which was quite annoying). However, it would appear that the more recent updates are changing which roads qualify for that limitation. Many roads that used to allow unlimited AP speed are now restricted to speed limit plus 5. Not because of issues with the speed limit database or the ability of the car to read signs, but because the road classification changed somehow.

Interesting observation from my wife. Her MS 85D is currently on 17.11.10. It was driving very well last week, but she noticed a change in behavior yesterday on a business trip. AP wouldn't let her go over 5 mph on our local highways, and handling was "squirrelly ".

She just got home, and we got an update notice. Since AP got messed up, we'll go ahead and update it tonight, and see how it handles tomorrow. We do not have the new firmware number yet.

Today I noticed on my way to work at 6am in the morning, I was still speed restricted on the highway, but on the way home, it was unrestricted as it should be. Maybe they updated the database in the middle of the day? No new updates installed on my side

2017 AP1 firmware 17.24.28

Today I noticed on my way to work at 6am in the morning, I was still speed restricted on the highway, but on the way home, it was unrestricted as it should be. Maybe they updated the database in the middle of the day? No new updates installed on my side

2017 AP1 firmware 17.24.28

I was speed restricted on Friday, but not yesterday.