Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The charging rate was always there, but my point was the font is much smaller now. Sorry, sometimes I don’t include enough words to fully explain my point.

It is like they are making space to fit some other graphic or information underneath it?

Gotcha, I thought it looked different but couldn't put my finger on it. Now that you mention the font is smaller it all makes sense. Very strange change, i like your thought process that the are planning to add something underneath it.

The charging rate was always there, but my point was the font is much smaller now. Sorry, sometimes I don’t include enough words to fully explain my point.

It is like they are making space to fit some other graphic or information underneath it?

I noticed this as well and thought it was odd.

Got 2019.40.2 a few days back on my late 2014 MS. I am seeing that the car has become way more conservative in terms of limiting regen. I am seeing the yellow dashes even at not-so-high SOC and when outside and battery temperature isn't too cold. Has anyone else also noticed it? This will result in even less range (due to limited regen) in cold weather :-(

I get the limited regen much more after work where the car sits outside. However, the outside temperatures usually don’t fall below the mid-50s. I don’t remember this happening before, and keep having to quickly hit my brakes because I expect regen to kick in harder. 87%+ SOC will lead to limited regen when before it was only present at ~95%+.

Got 2019.40.2 a few days back on my late 2014 MS. I am seeing that the car has become way more conservative in terms of limiting regen. I am seeing the yellow dashes even at not-so-high SOC and when outside and battery temperature isn't too cold. Has anyone else also noticed it? This will result in even less range (due to limited regen) in cold weather :-(
I used to see the yellow regen limit dashes disappear when all modules hit 60F. Today on 2019.40.2.1 they didn’t go away until all were at 65F.

I confirm both observation: less regen and much higher consumption

Yup, will be using a lot more brake this winter. :(

Funny how this coincided with scheduled departure so that you can charge just before leaving and preheat the battery at least once a day to limit this, but leaving work I have no option; very little regen, and it takes a much longer drive to see the cold dashes disappear.

So does this mean Tesla wants the batteries to last longer? Are they trying to limit the degradation? I thought they would want them to degrade faster so we got frustrated and bought new cars.

Then again I wouldn't be surprised if we are still guinea pigs, and they did it on half the cars, and didn't on another portion to compare the data going forward to see the differences in dendrite formation etc.

As an FYI, AP1 owners in Europe have been notified by mail from tesla that the limitation to AP imposed by Europe to AP2.x will now be applied to AP1 as well, as from update 2019.40.2.2.

It’s the first time in 4+ years of ownership that I’m not looking forward to the next update.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Looks like 2019.40.2.3 is rolling out to older model S' exclusively. Someone with an AP1 car please tell me if Tesla has revised their crippling regen changes in cold temperatures that the last few updates have brought, and the regen is back to what we expect an EV vehicle should have?

Because my 2019.40.2.1 update is such a step backward in the function of this car I want to make sure the next update is not even worse (how could it be?) before I update.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 5.56.34 AM.png

I've had my car for about 6 months, when i first got it I was excited for each update but now I am scared.

I feel like features are going to be taken away each time (Full screen browser), nothing new added (Netflix, 1 pedal driving, etc) any my car will perform worse (Worse cold weather regn and slower super charging). This isn't always the case since with the most recent updates we got scheduled departure, wheel change configuration, and Chess but my perception is that overall the car/updates are going in the wrong direction.

I just got 40.23 this morning. Will be testing things out later this afternoon.

Sounds like this might affect our AP1 with the new European regulations. Check for the following:
  1. Steering wheel cant turn as much going around sharp turns
  2. Quicker lane changes (turn signal must be engaged to the first detent and the lane change must start within 5 seconds of engaging the turn signal,"
Tesla adjusts Autopilot to comply with new EU regulations

Sounds like this might affect our AP1 with the new European regulations. Check for the following:
  1. Steering wheel cant turn as much going around sharp turns
  2. Quicker lane changes (turn signal must be engaged to the first detent and the lane change must start within 5 seconds of engaging the turn signal,"
Tesla adjusts Autopilot to comply with new EU regulations

Those changes are (supposedly) only introduced in the EU markets. US cars shouldn’t be subjected to those changes.

I've had my car for about 6 months, when i first got it I was excited for each update but now I am scared.

I feel like features are going to be taken away each time (Full screen browser), nothing new added (Netflix, 1 pedal driving, etc) any my car will perform worse (Worse cold weather regn and slower super charging). This isn't always the case since with the most recent updates we got scheduled departure, wheel change configuration, and Chess but my perception is that overall the car/updates are going in the wrong direction.
Some of us have felt that way since about mid version 7.

I've recently noticed two changes in AP1's behavior. I'm currently at 2019.40.21. First, it's possible to dial TACC down all the way to zero if I want to. It used to bottom out at 18 mph. Second, and I think related, I don't think TACC used to blend in brakes to maintain the set speed, it would only blend them in to maintain following distance. Now it seems to be braking for the set speed even if there's nobody ahead of me. This kind of bums me out since my hypermiling-lite driving style was generally to dial down the speed in advance of a known stop, to let me regen to a stop without unnecessary use of brakes. Now to achieve the same thing I'll have to disengage TACC. Still, it seems like a better behavior overall.

I see that my wife's Model 3 recently got an update where it has a new mode where it claims it'll blend in brakes to always bring the car to a full stop when you lift off the accelerator, I guess this is Tesla playing catch-up on some other vendors' implementation of one-pedal and it sounds like a good thing. The TACC changes I describe above feel like part of the same feature, so I wonder if we'll get it on AP1 cars eventually. Finally, I wonder if it presages blended regen on the brake pedal, a la Porsche. I know this is a subject of considerable controversy and I don't want to stir up a religious war (having argued both sides myself in the past!) but again, it does seem like Tesla is flirting with it a little and showing that both gravity and competition do apply to Elon Musk just like the rest of us.

Got it this morning too. Will be road tripping tomorrow. Looks like improvements in measuring battery degradation, which I hope means some improved supercharging speeds.
Took a drive and didn’t really notice anything. Stats app is showing my rated range has decreased from 264 to 261 in my 85D since the update, but for now I’ll chalk that up to just a measurement fluctuation.