Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 2019.40.2.1 last week, and notice the change in regen. I first thought I had charged too much, but it must be the battery temperature. After all, it is crazy cold in the Bay Area... not!

Two things I noticed about AP1 is that lane changes seem to be done more promptly and smoothly, and the ACC seems to adjust speed more gradually than before. Is this true, or am I imagining these things?

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
No shenanigans found on my car the day after installing 2019.40.2.3. 80% charge voltage before install was 4.034/4.038/4.039 in TM-Spy, and 4.007/4.011/4.012 today. Right around 4.00V as 80% always was for me.

Here is what I think 2019.40.2.3 does (speculation, I have not seen the code and have no insider knowledge): tighter temperature control during charging. I noticed my coolant pump running during this morning’s charge as it approached 80%. Usually this would only run at 90%+ before. Same 40A HPWC charge in the same unheated garage that is around 50F this time of year.

Also 2019.40.2.3 may re-map SoC to voltage slightly differently.

The one negative thing I noticed was my Pack was reported at 76.1 kWh before 2019.40.2.3 and 75.7 kWh after. It is too small a drop to be a voltage capping so it may also be a recalibration or re-evaluation of the overall pack health?

Regen didn’t seem to change from 2019.40.2.1. Still much less with a cold battery.

Tesla is probably learning stuff from the fleet that earlier lab tests didn’t reveal - the earlier firmware versions were probably charging these batteries too hard when cold (via Supercharger, AC slow charging or regen braking) and over years this has damaged many packs.

I am sure both Panasonic and Tesla had/have battery testing labs. But nothing will tell you real-world results like real-world use. You can’t test in a lab for 8 years before releasing your product, and prototype testing is always going to be limited, a handful of cars for a year or two.

I think Tesla has been learning as they go, and they know they are in a pickle with many of these early packs. I am lucky to have picked up a used car that had very limited SuC use (575 kWh DC charging lifetime and at least half of that is from me during late spring and summer of this year) and limited exposure to sub-freezing temperatures (originally from Houston TX).

It will be interesting to see if capped cars gain anything back with 2019.40.2.3 and other non-capped cars’ results.

^ whereas our car is a 2013 Tesla S with 20MWh of supercharging, in a cold climate here in Canada , and charged frequently to 100%. No capping. No issues. 97% original capacity and still supercharges at the rate it has done for many years.
Don’t believe that the way you drive or charge is material to the health of your battery pack (within reason).

• Informative
Reactions: rsg123
^ whereas our car is a 2013 Tesla S with 20MWh of supercharging, in a cold climate here in Canada , and charged frequently to 100%. No capping. No issues. 97% original capacity and still supercharges at the rate it has done for many years.
Don’t believe that the way you drive or charge is material to the health of your battery pack (within reason).
Your Tesla is a good argument that it is “luck of the draw” and you got well-marched cells without any marginal ones in your pack. Possibly all 7000+ of them from the same production run. Maybe packs with cells from two or more production runs are the problem packs?

Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
We finally received firmware update 40.2.3 for our 2015 Tesla S yesterday. The release note mentions High voltage detection and some minor bug fixes. I did not see any changes to the car other than the fact that I have been using the brakes more often. I liked it before when the car would de-accelerate faster when you took your foot of the accelerator. I am assuming that there must be a good reason why Tesla changed this.

As an aside I like the option that allows me to schedule charging the Tesla at midnight when our electric company charges 4 cents/kwh. Based my calculation it costs me $2.29 to charge the car to 80%. That is a sweet deal.

For my limited tests and just going by feel it seems to me that when there is no regen restrictions that the regen amount is about the same. However regen is certainly more prevalent than I remember.

There is some speculation that Tesla has limited the active battery heating (maybe to increase winter range?) and therefore it takes longer for the car to come out of restricted regen than before.

It is possible different Batts, and models will be handled differently with a given update.
Not sure, but I would not know why. Of course M3s don't have active battery heating but that is another story. Not sure what the situation is with the Ravens but the active heating is not contained in the motor from what I understand so it should not affect them either.

For my limited tests and just going by feel it seems to me that when there is no regen restrictions that the regen amount is about the same. However regen is certainly more prevalent than I remember.

There is some speculation that Tesla has limited the active battery heating (maybe to increase winter range?) and therefore it takes longer for the car to come out of restricted regen than before.

Has anyone tried switching range mode on and off while regen braking to see if there's any difference?

Would you say the decel now is similar to any ICE car you are familiar with? Have you driving down a steep 5% grade and had to use the brake?

It has been about about 4 years since I have driven an ICE car so difficult to compare. It does de accelerate after you take your foot off the pedal but it seems to coast for a while. I have used Superchargers very few times and we have 18K on this car.

I am thinking about getting a new Tesla S but I am reluctant to get a new one before they perfect the FSD and battery technology.

Has anyone tried switching range mode on and off while regen braking to see if there's any difference?
It's not while breaking, its how the battery is warmed after it's cold soaked. Range Mode Off does not actively heat the battery but Range Mode On used to.

If you are on 40.x it's too late to try this to detect if they turned it off. Someone on 38 or 39 might be able to report how fast regen resumes but it's going to be tough to do because the state of the battery (temp) would have to be the same, the drive the same and the ambient temperature the same between the two tests.

But we might be able to get a subjective opinion and that is better than nothing.

[QUOTE="38 or 39 might be able to report how fast regen resumes but it's going to be tough to do because the state of the battery (temp) would have to be the same, the drive the same and the ambient temperature the same between the two tests.

But we might be able to get a subjective opinion and that is better than nothing.[/QUOTE]

Version 32 here....
Recently, last weekend in cooler WX in SoCal, the car saw 55 deg in the garage. After a few hrs of 27A 240V charging, went for a drive, and saw slightly reduced regen, say over 40 Kw.

Never had to regen to that limit in the 300 ft or so drop to the main road, and in a mile or two, the limit was gone.