Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the car from service and this is the navigation data version it shows after the MCU2 upgrade

View attachment 592297

Just installed 2020.36.11 on our 2015 Tesla S 85. Again it was "Bug fixes and minor improvements". I am testing to see if this sends me notification if the windows are open.

I am assuming that I have MCU1 on my old car. Is there a place to check it? I wonder if the problems with MCU1 related to age of the car or the milage? I currently have 20K on our car and had no issues so far (touch-wood).

I am on Navigation Data NA-2020.12-1186. Is it possible for MCU1 to be on this version, which I am assuming is the latest version?

Just installed 2020.36.11 on our 2015 Tesla S 85. Again it was "Bug fixes and minor improvements". I am testing to see if this sends me notification if the windows are open.

I am assuming that I have MCU1 on my old car. Is there a place to check it? I wonder if the problems with MCU1 related to age of the car or the milage? I currently have 20K on our car and had no issues so far (touch-wood).

I am on Navigation Data NA-2020.12-1186. Is it possible for MCU1 to be on this version, which I am assuming is the latest version?

Yeah, go to “Software” -> “Additional Information” if “Infotainment Processor” reads “Nvidia Tegra” then you have MCU1, if it reads “Intel Atom” then you have MCU2. How long have you had the car for? 2015 came with MCU1 and the procedure to upgrade is very new, so unless you’ve taken the car in to replace it some time in the last ~6 months then you most likely still have an MCU1.

16C9CA6C-154F-487E-B9F8-B89E9F2C2C35.jpeg

Attachments

• 95F7ED56-7874-424C-A978-90B5F07ED93A.jpeg
    95F7ED56-7874-424C-A978-90B5F07ED93A.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Yeah, go to “Software” -> “Additional Information” if “Infotainment Processor” reads “Nvidia Tegra” then you have MCU1, if it reads “Intel Atom” then you have MCU2. How long have you had the car for? 2015 came with MCU1 and the procedure to upgrade is very new, so unless you’ve taken the car in to replace it some time in the last ~6 months then you most likely still have an MCU1.

View attachment 592557

Thank you. Mine is MCU1 as it has“Nvidia Tegra” infotainment processor. I got my car in March of 2015.

I wonder if the best way forward for "older Tesla car owners" is to buy a new Minerva that has all the required HW for future SW updates. At 400 mile range that should be more than adequate for all travel within the US.

I found a bug fix crept into a recent update that I had been nagging them about for a couple of years. When the car sits in the garage for more than 24 hours almost always the mirrors will unfold at some point before I pull it out of the garage. Sometimes they unfold on their own at a random time (usually when the car is contacted by Tesla) or it happens at some point when I'm getting ready to drive.

If the mirrors unfold, I am in the habit of refolding them before pulling out of the garage, but one day I was distracted and forgot to and they folded on their own as soon as the car started moving. My biggest fear was that one day I'd be distracted pulling out the car and take off the right mirror on the opening for the garage door.

One thing I have noticed with my MCU2 upgrade is that the audio now has speed compensated volume - in that when you slow down and stop at traffic lights, the audio volume decreases and then increases again when you pull away

I certainly never witnessed this behaviour with the MCU1 - and intriguingly, I cannot find a setting or control for this

As for FM radio, or AM for that matter - no, I certainly don’t miss the local 93.9 L-ZEP stations, playing all the latest and greatest from Creedence, Poison, Rush and of course Led Zeppelin...

I have placed a battery operated portable in the glove box for emergencies

One thing I have noticed with my MCU2 upgrade is that the audio now has speed compensated volume - in that when you slow down and stop at traffic lights, the audio volume decreases and then increases again when you pull away

I certainly never witnessed this behaviour with the MCU1 - and intriguingly, I cannot find a setting or control for this

As for FM radio, or AM for that matter - no, I certainly don’t miss the local 93.9 L-ZEP stations, playing all the latest and greatest from Creedence, Poison, Rush and of course Led Zeppelin...

I haven’t noticed the volume thing, is it maybe a configurable setting? The one thing that truly sucks after upgrading and is a massive step backwards is the quality of the reverse camera at night, picture is so ridiculously dark that it is pretty much unusable now

I haven’t noticed the volume thing, is it maybe a configurable setting? The one thing that truly sucks after upgrading and is a massive step backwards is the quality of the reverse camera at night, picture is so ridiculously dark that it is pretty much unusable now

Thanks guys, you made me feel better about having my eMMC upgraded just before they announced the MCU1 to 2 upgrade. I actually enjoy an FM radio show’s prank call on my morning commute, and it’s easier than opening an app on my phone. Also I have become sort of dependent on the rear camera which I always keep on the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Nothings super exciting, being able to open the windows remotely is kinda cool I guess, but it sucks that you can’t close them remotely afterwards
I guess this feature is for the recent S that cannot have a pano roof anymore.
I didn't get it so can't check myself, but if indeed you cannot close them, it will be a feature to carefully use if you live in area's where rain can happen, even on a nice summer day.

I guess this feature is for the recent S that cannot have a pano roof anymore.
I didn't get it so can't check myself, but if indeed you cannot close them, it will be a feature to carefully use if you live in area's where rain can happen, even on a nice summer day.

My 2008 Passat had a rain sensor for the automatic windshield wipers (much like our AP1 cars) and it used that to close the sunroof and windows if it started raining and you were away from the car but I had to hack it to give it that functionality. I think there is some legality around closing windows in the US unattended and the possibility of hurting someone's finger/hand/head and that is why they only let people "vent" and not "open" the sunroof and windows. I haven't gotten the update myself but I'd imagine that closing the vented windows would be the same as closing the vented sunroof, just push on the button on the app again to close it.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
My 2008 Passat had a rain sensor for the automatic windshield wipers (much like our AP1 cars) and it used that to close the sunroof and windows if it started raining and you were away from the car but I had to hack it to give it that functionality. I think there is some legality around closing windows in the US unattended and the possibility of hurting someone's finger/hand/head and that is why they only let people "vent" and not "open" the sunroof and windows. I haven't gotten the update myself but I'd imagine that closing the vented windows would be the same as closing the vented sunroof, just push on the button on the app again to close it.
I have the update and there appears to be no way to close the windows, only an option to ‘vent’ them

it’s probably to avoid finger trapping - however I thought there were sensors to prevent that happening

Anyway, it’s a nice little touch

I have the update and there appears to be no way to close the windows, only an option to ‘vent’ them

it’s probably to avoid finger trapping - however I thought there were sensors to prevent that happening

Anyway, it’s a nice little touch
If it's not your car, your fingers shouldn't be on it, or in the window gap. If your fingers are there, you're most likely up to no good anyway.

The door handles don't break fingers. The windows should have resistance detection that prevents finger-breaking also.

If it's not your car, your fingers shouldn't be on it, or in the window gap. If your fingers are there, you're most likely up to no good anyway.

The door handles don't break fingers. The windows should have resistance detection that prevents finger-breaking also.

The issue isn't fingers... it is kids' / adults' / pets' necks getting crushed during a remote window closing. Mega lawsuit and PR nightmare.