Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020.40.8 - same release notes as 40.4

A963001A-B16A-46FF-8310-CB8F91F8CC2B.jpeg

I did tried to find suitable discussion but couldn’t, so sorry if off subject.
I had a short drive this weekend and found out that I was able to use auto lane change for brief moment but not later. We know that on AP1 cars EU has restricted this previous functionality for long now but it was quite surprise that it did worked.
Previous SW was 32.3 and current is 36.11 (my car skipped 36.3.1 version as I postponed the download). So during the drive I was on Autosteer and as I turned on LH indicator there was one odd message on IC as I waited the car to start the move, stating that Auto Lane Change cancelled as timeout lapsed, or something. Could not catch it on camera as it does not perform this way any more. Right after this attempt I did it again and now tried to “assist” the turn on the steering wheel - and it did performed this as it had done before! On the IC visual screen all line changes and other performed as should, only thing it did not performed was not to return to initial lane, even without the little push on steering wheel. I can’t remember was it that before as well but this thing worked in two continuous attempt. On my return trip there was not possible to use it any longer.
Is it something that Tesla is trying to convince the regulators in EU or was it just a SW clinch?

Reactions: SmartElectric
I’m noticing something interesting since updating to 40.4 and now 40.8: Battery fans used to get turned on anytime SoC was at or above 78%(which seems to be common in 85kw packs) but now as long as I keep charge at or below 85% battery fans will not activate. One would think this would reduce the amount of vampire drain, however, for some reason my car is losing ~3% of charge overnight (used to be ~1% in previous firmwares). I just rebooted the car for the first time since the 40.x upgrade and will see if that helps

I’m noticing something interesting since updating to 40.4 and now 40.8: Battery fans used to get turned on anytime SoC was at or above 78%(which seems to be common in 85kw packs) but now as long as I keep charge at or below 85% battery fans will not activate. One would think this would reduce the amount of vampire drain, however, for some reason my car is losing ~3% of charge overnight (used to be ~1% in previous firmwares). I just rebooted the car for the first time since the 40.x upgrade and will see if that helps

there is some discussion regarding vast amounts of data being sent to mothership on 40.8. Like they are trying to repopulate some new databank (just guessing). Not sure why they would want it from mobileye equipped AP1 cars though.

Is it possible that the vampire drain has less to do with the newer software and more to do with the temps? I was losing about 1% every 18-24 hours. Now that it’s freezing outside I’m around 2-3% every 24 hours.

Is it possible that the vampire drain has less to do with the newer software and more to do with the temps? I was losing about 1% every 18-24 hours. Now that it’s freezing outside I’m around 2-3% every 24 hours.

I don’t think that’s the case, I live in Northern California and so far nights have been in the low 50s, though the car is garaged every night and I’d say temp is probably in the mid-60s

I just looked at my Wifi report for the last 7 days. My car has downloaded 30.1 GB and uploaded 671.4 MB.

To compare apples to apples with Epastor01 - mine downloaded 130.3GB and uploaded 3.1GB in the same date range you pictured.

Maybe it's trying to download an update and failing - and then trying over and over again? I'm still on 2020.36.11 and I do check for the update daily.

• Informative
Reactions: morrisdl

Do you leave your car plugged in most of the time? I found a problem with my 90D about 18 months ago that the car was just not going to sleep after an update and rebooting didn't help. In earlier updates the charge screen in the instrument cluster would stay on, but now that shuts off, but something in the car is still awake.

By accident I found the fix, but it has to be done the first night after an update. I unplug the car and leave it unplugged over night. That resets whatever the problem is and the car goes back to fully going back to sleep after an update.

Do you leave your car plugged in most of the time? I found a problem with my 90D about 18 months ago that the car was just not going to sleep after an update and rebooting didn't help. In earlier updates the charge screen in the instrument cluster would stay on, but now that shuts off, but something in the car is still awake.

By accident I found the fix, but it has to be done the first night after an update. I unplug the car and leave it unplugged over night. That resets whatever the problem is and the car goes back to fully going back to sleep after an update.

Thanks for the tip! I actually ended up doing several things and I’m not sure what exactly fixed the issue:

1. Rebooted
2. I changed my Tesla password - I figured that maybe a 3rd party app might had been pinging it too often
3. Charged to 90% then didn’t plug back until the battery went below 40% a few days later, then charged to 80% which is my new daily max

I don’t know exactly how much did each of the above contribute to recalibrating the battery but now the car will only only lose ~1% of charge in ~24hrs which is even better than before!

Thanks for the tip! I actually ended up doing several things and I’m not sure what exactly fixed the issue:

1. Rebooted
2. I changed my Tesla password - I figured that maybe a 3rd party app might had been pinging it too often
3. Charged to 90% then didn’t plug back until the battery went below 40% a few days later, then charged to 80% which is my new daily max

I don’t know exactly how much did each of the above contribute to recalibrating the battery but now the car will only only lose ~1% of charge in ~24hrs which is even better than before!

I tried just rebooting and that didn't work. I also saw somewhere that changing the password worked, but it didn't for me. Leaving it unplugged overnight is the only thing that has worked. I've also found that I now have to do it after every update.

Another weird thing I noticed around the time of an update the font on the charge screen that comes up on the instrument cluster is smaller.

I would appreciate some feedback on upgrading my 2015 Tesla S 85 which has about 20,00 miles on it. It runs perfectly and looks like new.

As our old Tesla cars cannot take advantage of all the new SW updates I have been thinking about upgrading to a new Tesla S. I am going back and forth about how long to wait before getting a new one. Should I wait until they have the new battery in all Tesla cars? I heard that they are also putting new sensors.

Also has anyone traded-in their AP1 car to Tesla? Will I get a better deal with Carmax, Carvana or private sale?

As I am getting older I feel that FSD, once it become robust, would improve safety.

Thanks for your input in advance.