Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 parity "by next month" according to Musk...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, living in the Tesla timeline is pretty frustrating. We were told that we'll get parity in December of 2016. That turned out to be just a lie to move cars in the 4th quarter. Now, we get "by next month," but noticed that Elon never gave us a date or a month. So if someone were to ask him in March about parity, he can still say, "by next month."
No you weren't told that. It was expected or anticipated, not that it WOULD happen. Anyone who did the slightest bit of research on their six figure purchase would have seen that Tesla's time predictions are always optimistic.

Then, ignoring when it might happen...

He didn't say parity. He said auto dimming headlights, auto park, summon, and autosteer off highways should be out next month. That may not include TACC up to 90 MPH, autosteer to 90 MPH, or autosteer off the highway at any reasonable speed. Other differences between AP1 and HW2 could also exist even if he does deliver in the next 50 days. So we could have all the marketing bullet points as parity with AP1, but it may be significantly restricted in use, and Tesla would still have met their CEO's statement.

Oh, and March 31st at 9pm to 1,000 cars, just like Autosteer was "released in December".

No you weren't told that. It was expected or anticipated, not that it WOULD happen. Anyone who did the slightest bit of research on their six figure purchase would have seen that Tesla's time predictions are always optimistic.

Tesla agents and employees were definitely telling everyone that we'd get the same autopilot features by end of 2016. I know I was and I heard all the other sales people telling other customers. Denying what that person was told is just odd since you don't know.

I know they weren't going to get parity in December, and that Tesla was being optimistic, that's why I didn't take delivery of my AP2 car until late January. Still, I'm a bit disappointed of what I'm getting so far.

Tesla agents and employees were definitely telling everyone that we'd get the same autopilot features by end of 2016. I know I was and I heard all the other sales people telling other customers. Denying what that person was told is just odd since you don't know.
What Tesla said in writing on the website was more nuanced. Either the employee didn't get the nuance or you didn't hear it. Either way, don't believe any salesperson who says a product will have a certain feature by a certain date, Tesla or otherwise. With Tesla I'll say again, even though it earned me 4 disagrees above (and counting), someone making a 6 figure purchase should do some research beyond what a salesman says. When has any Tesla product or software feature ever appeared "on time"?

Not sure where you are but if I ask 100 people around here what he means 95 of them would say it would be done in February.

4 would say it's unclear and one would say it's a Trump's fault.

And none of them have anything to do with making it actually happen. :)

If there is a constant to Tesla, it is that things happen when they happen, not before, and without much regard for anyone's estimate (incliding Elon's).

I've been a homebrewer for over twenty-three years. Charlie Papazian, the guy that started up the American Homebrewer's Association, has a wonderful saying that many of us have taken to heart: "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew." Often, it gets abbreviated to "RDWHAHB."

Tesla drivers and prospective ones might want to adopt a simlar philosophy: RDWDYT, or "Relax. Don't worry. Drive your Tesla."

• Disagree
Reactions: oneday and njxman
What you're saying is beyond what anyone should have to do no matter how much the transaction. Tesla employee statements are reliable legally as much as what is written on their website. No amount of due diligence would overcome those definitive statements clearly made to induce sales in Q4. Otherwise many would've held off or bought heavily discounted inventory hw1. You can blame the buyers all you want but it doesn't make sense and it contradicts the law of both contacts and consumer fraud. By all means wear you disagrees as a badge of pride but your position is untenable.

And none of them have anything to do with making it actually happen. :)

If there is a constant to Tesla, it is that things happen when they happen, not before, and without much regard for anyone's estimate (incliding Elon's).

I've been a homebrewer for over twenty-three years. Charlie Papazian, the guy that started up the American Homebrewer's Association, has a wonderful saying that many of us have taken to heart: "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew." Often, it gets abbreviated to "RDWHAHB."

Tesla drivers and prospective ones might want to adopt a simlar philosophy: RDWDYT, or "Relax. Don't worry. Drive your Tesla."

I never said I believe Elon on this (cause I don't) - I just say that is what he SAID. And that was in response to the OP's question.

I personally don't believe things like Summon and AutoPark will be here before summer (if even then). And notice I used BEFORE and not BY even though they are SYNONYMS.

I better add a smiley before people take all of this too seriously :)

And notice I used BEFORE and not BY even though they are SYNONYMS.
This is incorrect from every single English usage discussion I have seen on this matter. "By" means "on or before", inclusive of the period in question. "Before" is not inclusive of the period in question.
Some google references:
Google
Google
Sorry for putting on the grammar nazi hat :).

In practical usage, many times this difference does not matter, so they are used interchangeably, but in some cases it does matter (for example for deadlines). An example that affects me personally is the IRS tax payment deadlines. Here's what it says on the IRS page, just as a concrete example:

"If you don't pay enough tax by the due date of each payment period, you may be charged a penalty even if you're due a refund when you file your income tax return at the end of the year.
If you mail your estimated tax payment and the date of the U.S. postmark is on or before the due date, the IRS will generally consider the payment to be on time. If you use IRS Direct Pay, you can make payments up to 8 p.m. Eastern time on the due date. If you use a credit or a debit card, you can make payments up to midnight on the due date."
Individuals

So a literal reading of what Elon said is anytime in March is fair game.

This is incorrect from every single English usage discussion I have seen on this matter. "By" means "on or before", inclusive of the period in question. "Before" is not inclusive of the period in question.
Some google references:
Google
Google
Sorry for putting on the grammar nazi hat :).

In practical usage, many times this difference does not matter, so they are used interchangeably, but in some cases it does matter (for example for deadlines). An example that affects me personally is the IRS tax payment deadlines. Here's what it says on the IRS page, just as a concrete example:

"If you don't pay enough tax by the due date of each payment period, you may be charged a penalty even if you're due a refund when you file your income tax return at the end of the year.
If you mail your estimated tax payment and the date of the U.S. postmark is on or before the due date, the IRS will generally consider the payment to be on time. If you use IRS Direct Pay, you can make payments up to 8 p.m. Eastern time on the due date. If you use a credit or a debit card, you can make payments up to midnight on the due date."
Individuals

So a literal reading of what Elon said is anytime in March is fair game.

Even your google references do not support your conclusion. The one literally says by and before are synonyms. Goggle 'definition of by'

If I'm working on a project and say I need something by Weds and someone gives it to me ON weds the it is LATE. I want it BY weds so I can work on it ON weds not after.

Go ahead and be the faux grammar nazi all you want. I'm done with this ridiculous discussion. It really doesn't matter. Elon was wrong about the dec/Jan deadlines and he'll be wrong about this one whether it's the end of Feb or March. The software will still not be at AP1 parity.

Didn't anybody notice the word "Should". Means that this is their plan, and that if everythings goes well there is a good chance that it will be available sometime in March. If a glitch comes up it might be later.

He is just giving insight into his informed belief when parity will be obtained.

Cut the guy some slack.

Reactions: EinSV