Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 Promises That Never Came To Be

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember this image for AP1?
The only marginal aspect in real life is the blind spot monitoring. I truly wonder if the side-facing sonar dots are even active or perhaps mis aligned to see the body of most cars.

A minor gripe among a very positive experience of Model S ownership.

Attachments

• AP1.jpg
    AP1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 59
I don't "hold" mine. I do a full press until it locks on. Then I disengage after the transition is complete. Just like I do for manual changes. You hold it the whole time?

Yes, I absolutely hold it. I don't want the blinker stuck on for no apparent reason after the transition is complete. Also, my OCD when it comes to wear and tear kicks in and pushing it past the detent wears it out faster. That's ridiculous, I know, but there it is.

But more importantly, sometimes it won't change lanes at all or is very slow to change lanes, so clicking it up and letting it sit with the blinker on for 30 seconds and not changing lanes is kind of cat-lady crazy... so just pushing it up, if it doesn't immediately start changing lanes like it %#@$ should, I manually take control and change lanes.

The change lanes feature is pretty crappy, honestly. The lane changing is too slow, works only intermittently, and requires about as much interaction as just doing it yourself.

Can someone with a better memory remind me if there were any promised AP1 features that we never got?

I vaguely recall them saying AP1 would give you the functionality of being able to have the car go park itself in a lot but obviously that never came to pass. Given the hardware suite on the car I'm not sure I'd want it to either. :)

Were there any aspects of Autopilot that Tesla never delivered on?
archive.org is priceless for questions like these. I just started a thread about missing summon capabilities using teslamotors.com website from 30 March, 2015.

Yes, I absolutely hold it. I don't want the blinker stuck on for no apparent reason after the transition is complete. Also, my OCD when it comes to wear and tear kicks in and pushing it past the detent wears it out faster. That's ridiculous, I know, but there it is.

But more importantly, sometimes it won't change lanes at all or is very slow to change lanes, so clicking it up and letting it sit with the blinker on for 30 seconds and not changing lanes is kind of cat-lady crazy... so just pushing it up, if it doesn't immediately start changing lanes like it %#@$ should, I manually take control and change lanes.

The change lanes feature is pretty crappy, honestly. The lane changing is too slow, works only intermittently, and requires about as much interaction as just doing it yourself.
I guess people are just different. I press to the click, wait for it to change, and then turn it off. Works fine for me.

I can assure you. I will.

I don't allow people or companies to screw me over on money. It is just my personal policy. A former employer ended up writing me a $150,000 severance package about 10 months after I was fired. At the time they told me, "under our policy, you are not eligible for a severance package". I can assure you, I am ALWAYS eligible. I do not ever allow those things to slide.

Tesla has a history of providing refunds in these cases. The carbon fiber T top for my old Roadster was massively delayed after delivery. I just asked for my $5,000 back and they gave it, no questions asked. The same thing will happen on the $3,000 FSDC features if they end up not happening as claimed.

But I am not risking it. I am only doing the Enhanced AP with my upcoming car.

We have consumer protection laws in this country. If Tesla is charging people $3,000 for all of the FSDC features listed online, then they have to deliver on it or provide a refund. It is really that simple.

Some people are very forgiving and give Tesla a pass on timelines and a lot of other issues. A lot of people probably won't demand a $3,000 refund. But those that do, will quietly be provided a refund if AP 2 fails to deliver as "promised". It AP 2 ends up only being capable of the features in Enhanced AP, then I can assure you that Tesla will be forking over $3,000 to owners that complain up the chain at Tesla.

This isn't even a close call. Tesla is not going to burn bridges with customers over $3,000 if FSDC becomes an issue. They provided a list of features, priced it at $3,000 and sold it. They either deliver or provide the refund. Very simple.
I am astounded you haven't gotten any dislikes.

• Disagree
Reactions: Naonak

Do you know why I said I was astounded these people didn't get any dislikes?

Because in another thread - I got tons of dislikes when I said something unfavorable to Tesla. This time I didn't even say anything against tesla and you gave me dislikes anyway. LOL wow.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Do you know why I said I was astounded these people didn't get any dislikes?

Because in another thread - I got tons of dislikes when I said something unfavorable to Tesla. This time I didn't even say anything against tesla and you gave me dislikes anyway. LOL wow.

Your double posts aren't adding anything to the conversation. You literally posted twice in a row complaining that people didn't dislike someone else's comments. At the very least, you could have multiquoted it and confined it to one post.

I am astounded you haven't gotten any dislikes.

Why? All I wrote was that I don't let companies take money from me without delivering on their promises.

And my comments were just saying that Tesla does it the right way. Tesla does provide refunds if they fail to deliver. Example: my carbon fiber T top for my Roadster. Tesla provided the $5,000 refund when they couldn't deliver within a reasonable time frame.

My point with the AP auto speed set on restricted roads is that we should be able to change the +5 to some lower number that we set. The function would be more user friendly if I/we could have it set the actual speed limit or another, lower limit. + is arbitrary and not always the best number.

Does anyone have confidence that AP2's promises are coming true?

I kinda think so because some of the features seem to be shared with another company. Nvidia. seems to be involved to some point.

If you have an extra hour.....you can watch this.

It looks like Elons promises for AP2 / L5 may already be finished.

My point with the AP auto speed set on restricted roads is that we should be able to change the +5 to some lower number that we set. The function would be more user friendly if I/we could have it set the actual speed limit or another, lower limit. + is arbitrary and not always the best number.
I agree, however I wonder if Elon can get APX.X through government approval with their users being able to create automotive automatic 100mph missiles at their whim.