Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 vs. AP2

How much discount would convince you to go for AP1 vs. AP2 at this point?

• 5%

• 10%

• 15% or more

• Nothing will convince me

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started this thread as I wanted to see how other people feel about getting an AP1 car over AP2. When I ordered AP2, the discounts on AP1 cars were so little that it made no sense to get them. But I felt that at some point Tesla would need to discount them and since I can change my order once, I thought if I get a good deal before my car comes, I will jump on it.

Now the deals are here, but this has been a really hard choice. All along it has been clear to me that I don't need AP2 and the discounts on AP1 car make lot of financial sense. You can see that in my posts so far.

But i woke up and was still as unsure as before. So I am going to just go with my heart and not my head. I live my life having no regrets. 75 AP1 I can't upgrade. But 60 AP2 I can upgrade to 75 later. It's going to be a bit annoying to wait at supercharger till I do, but on my daily drives it won't matter.

I love technology. I grew up watching startrek. I work with technology all day. So in the end, it was just too hard to give up on the coolness of AP2 and hopefully FSD someday.

AP2 it is.

Now only if Tesla can transport me to Mars one day!
Given that you're this frugal an conscientious about your financial decisions, I think you will be OK. I'm in the same boat. I'm 46 and this car costs more than all the cars I've purchased put together. The sacrifices I've made are about to pay off when I finally get my $70,000 MS 60.

Given that you're this frugal an conscientious about your financial decisions, I think you will be OK. I'm in the same boat. I'm 46 and this car costs more than all the cars I've purchased put together. The sacrifices I've made are about to pay off when I finally get my $70,000 MS 60.

Congrats. I also have had to think long and hard before buying a car costing this much. It's not that I can't afford it, it just seems like a lot of money to spend on a car when you can get a really good car for under $30k. I am going from leasing BMWs worth around 50k to now a 80k car. I did add a few options like nextgen seats, pano and awd. I guess you only live once. So might as well!

If I can sell this for around 20 to 30k in 5 - 7 years, it will cost me around 10k a year. So definitely more than my current lease, but I will save on gas and will be driving the coolest car around, well other than the P100DLs. So I say it's worth it.

I remember telling myself I would never spend this much on a vehicle and then the creep began. Usually, I purchase CPO vehicles in the $45-50K range up until 3 years ago when I spent $80K on my 2014 BMW 550i. When I first drove a Tesla in December of 2015, I was hooked and so the ante went up! lol

You made a great choice ... ultimately I feel people are buying Tesla's because they want something special and way ahead of everything else on the market - otherwise some of these cars like the Leaf would be doing a lot better if it was just electric vs. carbon.. so 3 years from now when there have only been bug fixes for AP 1.0 for 3 years of additional features on the AP 2.0 platform .. it is going to seem really outdated. The Tesla rental network seems a far out dream .. but if it comes true .. wouldn't be wild to just rent out the car you just bought (now 3 years old) and get a new one and rental pays for both!! It is a gamble .. but the whole Tesla experience really is one if you think about it. Aces and faces!

The Tesla rental network seems a far out dream .. but if it comes true .. wouldn't be wild to just rent out the car you just bought (now 3 years old) and get a new one and rental pays for both!! It is a gamble .. but the whole Tesla experience really is one if you think about it. Aces and faces!

Yeah, that would be amazing. Though I would rather drive the car myself. The other day I ordered a Lyft and it was a Tesla. The driver said he loves to drive his Tesla so much that he just does this for fun - otherwise he really doesn't need another job. If I get the time, I would love to do that too.

I live my life having no regrets.

We all have regrets. It's just a part of life. But this is the best attitude when it comes to regrets...

Regrets, I've had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

AP2 it is.

Good call!

Last edited:
Reactions: justg0
@justg0, if you ever come up across the line for a road trip, I live just a few blocks from the Peace Arch border and it would be great to meet you. Just drop me a PM. When you get your car you'll find any excuse for a road trip is a good excuse and I have a HPWC to get you back home.

@justg0, if you ever come up across the line for a road trip, I live just a few blocks from the Peace Arch border and it would be great to meet you. Just drop me a PM. When you get your car you'll find any excuse for a road trip is a good excuse and I have a HPWC to get you back home.

Thanks for the invite.

I drive up to Blaine every couple of weeks for my son's golf lesson. So yeah, I can see crossing the border depending on the wait. I also regularly go to Vancouver and was there just couple of days ago. And am planning a trip to Whistler once Tesla arrives and I can get winter tires. Will definitely PM you and would love to meet.

Looking at a P90DL from a BMW 550i. What can I expect from Insurance? I did a quick estimate on Geico and looks to be fairly reasonable (incremental $4-500 per year). I've seen a wide range of feedback here..both positive and negative

Does anyone buy a Tesla and not care about AP 1 or 2? I got a new AP2, but agonized in the same way about used, bottom level S60, AP1 deals, or custom AP2. I came to consider a Tesla for the other issues, not the self driving. I got enticed by the fancy new hardware and promises. Haven't got to use them yet, of course. I did pay for them. I am driving a loaner with AP1 right now, and honestly, it makes me and my kids carsick, with the pingponging back and forth within the lane. Not a huge fan. Is the new one going to be way better? I wonder. If there are amazing safely options with the cameras, and builtin dashcams and 360 views for parking and blind spots, that would be nice. Otherwise, I think I may have been better off with a cheap, non AP MS with everything else I wanted. I guess time will tell.

Does anyone buy a Tesla and not care about AP 1 or 2? I got a new AP2, but agonized in the same way about used, bottom level S60, AP1 deals, or custom AP2. I came to consider a Tesla for the other issues, not the self driving. I got enticed by the fancy new hardware and promises. Haven't got to use them yet, of course. I did pay for them. I am driving a loaner with AP1 right now, and honestly, it makes me and my kids carsick, with the pingponging back and forth within the lane. Not a huge fan. Is the new one going to be way better? I wonder. If there are amazing safely options with the cameras, and builtin dashcams and 360 views for parking and blind spots, that would be nice. Otherwise, I think I may have been better off with a cheap, non AP MS with everything else I wanted. I guess time will tell.

I have AP1 and love, love, love it! Just returned from 1200 mi trip and could never go back to no AP. For short trips around town or whatever it's probably a non issue but for long trips it's insane. BTW in regards to "ping ponging", that may occur once when AP is calibrating but after that it runs straight and true in my experience.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person