Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 Video - another scary moment...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owner's manual?

"Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver... Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path"

"Note: To initiate Autosteer, you must be driving at least 5 mph (8 km/h) on a roadway with visible lane markings"

"Note: In most cases, Autosteer attempts to center Model S in the driving lane. However, if the sensors detect the presence of an obstacle (such as a vehicle or guard rail), Autosteer may steer Model S in a driving path that is offset from the center of the lane."
This was a limited access road with no pedestrians, bicycles, construction zones, etc. It's not a through roadway and there are two unoccupied homes on it. It's actually one of the few places I would be willing to try AP. According to Tesla, it is exactly the road I should be using AP on.

Last edited:
This was a limited access road with no pedestrians, bicycles, driveways, intersections, construction zones, etc. It's actually one of the few places I would be willing to try AP. According to Tesla, it is exactly the road I should be using AP on.

A limited-access road is a freeway or Interstate.

Limited-access road - Wikipedia

And it is where there COULD BE pedestrians, etc. -- just because there are none at the moment doesn't meet the criteria.

A limited-access road is a freeway or Interstate.

Limited-access road - Wikipedia

And it is where there COULD BE pedestrians, etc. -- just because there are none at the moment doesn't meet the criteria.
Let's take a step back.

Have a look at "Autosteer While on Local Roads" from the most recent software update.

IMG_0044.JPG

Seems to me as if Autosteer is not just intended for highways, freeways or interstates. It states local streets. Clearly.

I just gave my opinion that it should not be used on that road, with no right-hand stripe. The driver needs to use some common sense, and know the capabilities of the vehicle.

Trying to use AP on roads and conditions where it will probably fail will get someone killed, and that will force regulators to regulate.

• Disagree
Reactions: sdorn and xborg
I just gave my opinion that it should not be used on that road, with no right-hand stripe. The driver needs to use some common sense, and know the capabilities of the vehicle.

Trying to use AP on roads and conditions where it will probably fail will get someone killed, and that will force regulators to regulate.
In my example above, I think 20mph on a limited use road seems pretty reasonable and in-line with Tesla's local roads release. I'm also well under their 35 mph limit. I can easily replicate the issue on roads that are even more well defined than that one. 20 mph, bright stripes left and right.

In the meantime take a look at the forums, YouTube, etc. They are full of these AP2 local road videos (all under 35 mph).

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: sdorn and disagree
How many times do we have to explain to AP1 owners that AP2 EXPLICITLY HAS LOCAL ROAD AUTOSTEER ENABLED.

Thus, and do try to follow here, it is a legitimate point of criticism to show situations in which an advertised feature fails.

I know, I know, we don't want to say bad things about Tesla (if for no other reason than that it gets boring having people ask "are you short TSLA? Do you own a Tesla even?") -- but the release of local autosteer has been, shall we say, less than great. And the OP's video shows a real issue.

I don't think "snow" constitutes a valid right-hand lane marker. I find using AP1 on roads with no clear right lane delineation to be inconsistent.

This.

You had no right-hand stripe to mark the lane. Even AP1 has trouble with that.

Should AP2 be better than that, yes. But I think expectations are running pretty high. AP1 still doesn't do everything we'd like it to do and it's hardware is 2.5 years old and software is 1.5 years old. AP2 will take much more time to come to parity with where AP1 is now.

Reactions: sdorn
Been frequently crossing the double yellow and going for guardrails. Here's one of today's scary moments at around 20mph.

I would never try and use AP on that sharp of a curve. I would have taken manual control of the car well before entering the curve, so there would never have been any "scary" moment.

I would never try and use AP on that sharp of a curve. I would have taken manual control of the car well before entering the curve, so there would never have been any "scary" moment.
:rolleyes:

Can you tell us exactly how sharp of a curve you are comfortable with?

Scratch that. Skip the middlemen and please pass that information on to Tesla to add to the next release notes. Thank you.

Reactions: Swift
:rolleyes:

Can you tell us exactly how sharp of a curve you are comfortable with?

Scratch that. Skip the middlemen and please pass that information on to Tesla to add to the next release notes. Thank you.

You guys act like autosteer has been fully implemented and should be working perfectly. I believe the release notes are clear that it is in beta and remains under development. You have to manually enable it in order to even use it and are notified again at that time that it is in beta and not fully developed. If you are afraid of using it with its current abilities, don't turn it on and wait until it is fully developed.

The fact that it hasn't been fully implemented yet, even though we were initially told it would be rolled out in December 2016, is a whole separate issue.

You guys act like autosteer has been fully implemented and should be working perfectly. I believe the release notes are clear that it is in beta and remains under development. You have to manually enable it in order to even use it and are notified again at that time that it is in beta and not fully developed. If you are afraid of using it with its current abilities, don't turn it on and wait until it is fully developed.
I think the frustration is with the commitments and communication around AP2. There were commitments made about December 2016 and those have been missed, walked back, etc. For those that are leasing the car, every month that the features don't work beyond December is lost money. And it looks like there is quite a ways to go. Even worse if you have FSD in the mix. I know that's subject to regulatory approval, but when do you think it will actually go to the regulators for approval? Probably well after many of those leases end. It's also especially bad when people made buying decisions based on AP1 test drives and videos on the website. Anyway, that's where the frustration stems from...

If I was making this post in September or October, I'd 100% agree with your response above.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: disagree
Someone who intentionally films a video where they know the car is going to fail and posts it online with an overly dramatic title is surely looking to start drama and you all are playing into it.
So I posted the video after being surprised by how bad the car failed on that turn and going back and driving again with video. It was as the title states, an albeit slower speed video redo of another scary moment with AP2. I'm used to AP2 wandering over the line, driving a little drunk, etc, but there have been some bad ones, this video being representative of those. I can't see the issue with sharing that with the community.