Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music integration…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m really excited about the addition of Apple Music as I have a subscription, but to use the UI in the car, Premium Connectivity is required. I let it go after the trial, as I think it’s too much ($13.99/mo in Canada). So without paying “twice” is there an effective way I can just use my phones 5G with AM through the Tesla app? I read mixed reports about tethering, but I have to imagine that’s the only way for it work? I’ve got lots of data on my plan, and I’ve just been streaming through BT but it would be great to more safely access the AM interface in the car. Thoughts?
I don’t have PC and use tethering through my phone. Works just fine. When I get in the car, if I want to listen to AM I simply enable tethering on my phone, connect the car to the phone’s wifi network and off I go.

One annoying thing I’ve found is that if you have a playlist with over 100 songs, it will only shuffle the 100 songs that are on the screen at that time. So if your playlist is 1000 songs and is in alphabetical order and you shuffle, it will only shuffle songs A-C as an example. For this reason, I’m still using Bluetooth via my iPhone (I also find the music quality is much better).

I hope they continue to develop the app to iron out issues like this.

I’m really excited about the addition of Apple Music as I have a subscription, but to use the UI in the car, Premium Connectivity is required. I let it go after the trial, as I think it’s too much ($13.99/mo in Canada). So without paying “twice” is there an effective way I can just use my phones 5G with AM through the Tesla app? I read mixed reports about tethering, but I have to imagine that’s the only way for it work? I’ve got lots of data on my plan, and I’ve just been streaming through BT but it would be great to more safely access the AM interface in the car. Thoughts?
I’ve been using Apple Music through the Bluetooth connection until now.

Reactions: PrGrPa
One annoying thing I’ve found is that if you have a playlist with over 100 songs, it will only shuffle the 100 songs that are on the screen at that time. So if your playlist is 1000 songs and is in alphabetical order and you shuffle, it will only shuffle songs A-C as an example. For this reason, I’m still using Bluetooth via my iPhone (I also find the music quality is much better).

I hope they continue to develop the app to iron out issues like this.
Wow, that is a dropped ball. I’ll have to test this out and see what’s going on. From what you’re saying, if I were to scroll to D-F and have that shown on the screen at the time of hitting shuffle it would only play those? Or is it always the first 100?

2022.44.25.3 on an M3 here and have the same spinning wheel issue with AM. When getting back into car after locking and sometimes between tracks. Buffering issue?

This feels like a beta release in some respects and is not as smooth as Spotify yet. Mind you will put up with it to have AM at last.

Did anyone noticed that Apple Music app in the media player doesn’t let you play an explicit song? Whenever a song has the little E for explicit it cannot be played. If selected within an album it will jump to a non-explicit song of the same album or it will just pause music. Has happen to me in iPad or iPhone when explicit content block was turned on, but on the tesla music player there is not a setting page where you can disable the filter. I’ve tried checking on apple Music on the web, but those setting don’t seem to transfer to the car.

No in fact machine gun Kelly was playing earlier with I think I'm OK now no issues at all 🤷‍♂️

I seem to have another issue with AM. When music is playing if you swipe the card to check tyre pressure for example, after a minute the card switches back to the music player which is fine but the music pauses for a second then continues.

Could be specific to the UK though? This thread is in the UK specific forum. Thanks.
Not only that but there are too many variables...what network you are with, signal strength, latency, apple servers, etc. I understand that some are hyped and if it works for them so be it. Personally, I just like consistency with interaction and how my music sounds hence its direct play via BT all the way for me. Also Why I buy my iPhones with enough memory as not to deal with network inconsistencies and hope I never have to use the sat phone feature.