Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Updates on Apple Music Integration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model Y a few days ago, and I've been enjoying the car so much. I've seen reports that Tesla is integrating other streaming services like Apple Music back in December. I was wondering if there has been any updates to that since then? Is that a feature that we should still expect? I can't wait to be able to control my music on the Tesla screen!

Anyone heard anything about what bitrates Tesla might allow on these new audio services? I'm pretty sure they currently limit Spotify to somewhere in the 64 to 96 kbps range, which is pretty low audio quality. If they add Tidal but don't allow higher streaming rates it will not be possible to get high res audio, which is pretty much the whole point of Tidal isn't it? I don't see them allowing lossless streaming on their current 9.95/mo cellular plan.

Anyone heard anything about what bitrates Tesla might allow on these new audio services? I'm pretty sure they currently limit Spotify to somewhere in the 64 to 96 kbps range, which is pretty low audio quality. If they add Tidal but don't allow higher streaming rates it will not be possible to get high res audio, which is pretty much the whole point of Tidal isn't it? I don't see them allowing lossless streaming on their current 9.95/mo cellular plan.
Tidal on 'normal' quality is around 96kbps AAC if I recall correctly. I assume their tidal integration won't have any sort of quality slider or indication and that is what they will stream. Obviously the Hifi FLAC would be great, but I would just be happy to be able to get access to my collection.

Reactions: psuKinger
Is there really a Bluetooth lossless option now? As far as I'm aware it is not possible to use Bluetooth for lossless audio at CD quality, i.e., 44.1KHz/16bit.

The Apt-X Lossless and Apt-X HD BT standards are very good, but unless there has been some recent developments I'm not aware of they still cannot handle full CD quality audio. The best lossless compression algorithms reduce the 1.4mbps CD stream down to about 300-900kbps range, and I think Apx-X HD throughput is still at around 576kbps max. I read that they can run lossless much of the time, and then switch to lossy only when the dynamics of the music require it.

If you know of a new BT lossless standard please send a link as I'd like to learn more.

Reactions: psuKinger
Is there really a Bluetooth lossless option now? As far as I'm aware it is not possible to use Bluetooth for lossless audio at CD quality, i.e., 44.1KHz/16bit.

The Apt-X Lossless and Apt-X HD BT standards are very good, but unless there has been some recent developments I'm not aware of they still cannot handle full CD quality audio. The best lossless compression algorithms reduce the 1.4mbps CD stream down to about 300-900kbps range, and I think Apx-X HD throughput is still at around 576kbps max. I read that they can run lossless much of the time, and then switch to lossy only when the dynamics of the music require it.

If you know of a new BT lossless standard please send a link as I'd like to learn more.
My bad - Aptx-HD and LDAC are near lossless but not actually lossless. I have no idea which codec(s) Tesla uses. In reality, if lossless encoding makes a difference to you , you shouldn’t be listening in a car or over BT.

Really wanting this after renewing my Apple Music subscription for a check-in on sound quality. When I let my subscription lapse a couple years ago, Apple had a bit of an edge over Spotify in audio quality but a small library and a poor interface. Now... still a poor interface, but the lossless audio quality absolutely beats the pants off Spotify. Seriously surprised by how much of a difference there is.

C'mon Tesla! Or Spotify, get it together and roll out lossless. Hopefully the Apple rollout will come with the ability to stream hit bitrates.

My SA said to look for Apple Music in December 2021. I hope he wasn't just giving me a line, because Apple Music integration is important to me. I have the Apple bundle and am not adding another streaming service, i.e. Spotify, to my budget.
i would imagine the SA being one of the last ones in the org to know about when a OS feature is dropping. same reason i wont bother asking the Apple retail team what is in the next iphone..

My SA said to look for Apple Music in December 2021. I hope he wasn't just giving me a line, because Apple Music integration is important to me. I have the Apple bundle and am not adding another streaming service, i.e. Spotify, to my budget.
Must had been one of those Undercover Boss episodes. Your SA was Elon in disguise. Apple Music is the big surprise for the holidays.