Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to have CarPlay as an app on my Tesla. It doesn't have to replace the Tesla entertainment UI, just would be an app, running in a window....

Shy of that, having Apple Music as a directly steamed audio source (with all my playlists, etc available) would be a big improvement over using my "Phone" connection to stream that music. If nothing else, it would let me use the Tesla's built-in navigation, which I don't use now, in part because I can't listen to Apple Music and hear turn-by-turn directions at the same time.

Even as an Apple user (Mac and iPhone) I'm not really interested in CarPlay. But replacing Spotify with Apple Music would be convenient. Having the choice of both would be even better as I've come to enjoy Spotify in my Tesla and also now use it on my Mac for casual listening. I don't even subscribe to Apple Music at the moment.

Serious question. What’s better about Apple Music/Spotify than the current music streaming app? Just the ability to play the exact song you want? Quality of sound? I’m ignorant of the benefit(s). I’ve never subscribed to any of them.

Serious question. What’s better about Apple Music/Spotify than the current music streaming app? Just the ability to play the exact song you want? Quality of sound? I’m ignorant of the benefit(s). I’ve never subscribed to any of them.
Being able to play the exact song I want in the car and on my smart speakers. Premium Slacker allowed me to play songs I wanted, particularly when I used playlists. However, it wasn't supported on Google nor Apple speakers unless I used the phone app.

In case you didn't know, Slacker was the former name of the default music streaming service in Tesla vehicles, unless Spotify is the default one. Since you asked your question, I'm guessing that the latter is not the case.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I can't speak for Slacker or whatever the current default music streamer is in US cars, but Spotify (standard in UK Teslas) is really quite impressive. It allows you to play pretty much any song or album ever created on demand. Pretty similar to Apple Music really. Spotify sound quality in my MX with premium audio is exceptional. But again no idea how Slacker compares. Since using Spotify in my Tesla I've started using it at home too. Again a very good experience.

I don't have a MX so I'm not judging what you're saying,

But on a model 3 the sound of spotify if very compressed, I don't think we're getting much more than 64kbps AAC
Also it seems that it doesn't matter if you are a spotify customer or not logged or not; you get the same stream quality ( altough this is very hard to prove/measure as i would require snooping on the LTE/4G connection to prove it)

Any tune that I put on a USB stick has vastly superior sound, in the highs and compression artifacts ( doesnt sound like it's played underwater)

I don't have a MX so I'm not judging what you're saying,

But on a model 3 the sound of spotify if very compressed, I don't think we're getting much more than 64kbps AAC
Also it seems that it doesn't matter if you are a spotify customer or not logged or not; you get the same stream quality ( altough this is very hard to prove/measure as i would require snooping on the LTE/4G connection to prove it)

Any tune that I put on a USB stick has vastly superior sound, in the highs and compression artifacts ( doesnt sound like it's played underwater)

Definitely not experiencing that level of compression in my MX and I have some very expensive Naim Audio gear in the house as a benchmark for sound (not saying the Tesla audio is up to that standard, just that I have a high benchmark to compare). I took delivery of a brand new Model 3 yesterday with premium audio (LR AWD) and from the very little I've tested it isn't quite as good as the MX premium audio. Bass is notably more mushy at high volume, although the high end is nice and crisp. Again I wouldn't describe it as very compressed like say DAB radio. It's a very nice in-car sound system. Right up there or better than most factory fit premium car audio systems I've experienced. I must admit I haven't tried using audio via a USB stick, but only because the sound quality is so good through Spotify streaming I've never felt any need. But I would be surprised if it was significantly better, at least here in the UK.

Just a thought, do you have a Model 3 with premium or standard audio?

Last edited:
Being able to play the exact song I want in the car and on my smart speakers. Premium Slacker allowed me to play songs I wanted, particularly when I used playlists. However, it wasn't supported on Google nor Apple speakers unless I used the phone app.

In case you didn't know, Slacker was the former name of the default music streaming service in Tesla vehicles, unless Spotify is the default one. Since you asked your question, I'm guessing that the latter is not the case.

Yeah I remember when it was called slacker...I just couldn’t remember the name anymore. I generally like the on board music streaming. I appreciate the explanation. I was hoping I was missing something on the differences. doesn’t sound like it. I’m pretty deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem. If Apple Music comes to the car soon, I may have to use one of my free Apple Music subscription trials.

I don't understand why they didn't "allow" him to answer the question? His response to Apple Music Support or Amazon Music or [insert any streaming platform here] was to say why do you need it ? The answer is, it is not safe to fidget with a phone over Bluetooth while driving.

Reactions: KentheJ