Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

April/May Deliveries Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
For those of you who took delivery so far this month, please post your experience regarding build quality.

Tesla still needs to make some improvements as @ohmman has to take his X back to the service center today.

Personally, I am paranoid at both ends of the spectrum. I want my X ASAP yet I do not want any build quality issues. I could be safe as my VIN is 57xx.

But I would appreciate any feedback, regarding X's bout this month.

Thanks!

Also, please post if you get a sunshade :)

Reactions: X Fan and umeshunni
My feeling on this is that the chunk of deliveries that just occurred were quarter end "rush" deliveries. These were the ones I was trying to avoid by delaying my delivery date (unsuccessfully). There are some items on my car which have very obvious issues - for example, the trunk/rear storage liner is completely crumpled on one side. I have to think that they were out of supplies and those were being installed regardless of their quality. I saw another poster here who had the same exact issue.

Those types of issues are probably not going to happen early or mid quarter. I was challenged on this assertion before, but I think the collective experience of this forum dictates that end of quarter deliveries are often bulked and rushed. In the case of the X, I think it was even more aggressive because of their shortfall on numbers.

My feeling is that those of you with April/May deliveries are going to be looking at significantly less issues. Fit and finish stuff might still exist, and yet-to-be-determined failures mean that you'll potentially have parts that will eventually need replacing. But overall, I think you'll be in good shape.

The door issue that caused my X to get back to the shop appears to have affected a few of us on the forum as well. If it's a failure of the controller in the door (which it seems like, as it doesn't respond to diagnostics), then it's unlikely that part will be completely redesigned before any delivery in the next few months. But it's also possible that they are one-off failures or wiring issues, etc. We'll see.

In my quick back of the envelope calc based on VINs, it appears that the orders are coming in at 800 / month. That is a small number given they are ramping production at 750/week. This years delivery estimate is > 80K (S+X). They have only delivered 14820 in Q1. That leaves them with >1600/week delivery for the rest of the year. They need a lot more orders coming in to make up the years numbers..

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
Had ours for 10 days now. Zero issues. Drove about 800 miles so far. used for daily work commute as well as the weekend trip to Tahoe. Worked like a charm.

Awesome! What is your VIN?

Any charging station recommendations at Tahoe? I typically go skiing at Kirkwood but they don't offer destination charging at the resort so I may not have enough juice to make it back to the Manteca supercharger to get home

To add to the previous post. For the trip back from Tahoe, we used Adaptive Cruise Control for 90% of the trip (75mph). Worked like a charm. Ride was very comfortable and relaxing despite few typical slow downs. With 252 miles of available range we did 253 miles (Truckee Supercharger to Squaw to Redwood City) with 23 miles to spare and 285 wh/mile.. Going downhill "saved" a bunch of miles. Trip planner was very accurate after the first 25 miles. Came in within 1-2% of predicted ie 8% left. it fluctuated a lot in the beginning (25% to 0%). On the way up to tahoe, we lost 60miles or range between Roseville Supercharger and Truckee. ie 81 mile uphill trip used 140miles of available range. Weather was warm ie in the 50s/60s.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
Don't get overly paranoid @K-MTG. Keep in mind people tend to post issues, and the forum is a small percent of owners. Therefore, it is difficult to gauge build quality from what is read on the forums. Even at that, most issues are small adjustments -- save one or two; and some a lack of knowledge and operator error. Keep the faith. Mine is finished production and somewhere between Atlanta and Freemont. I would almost meet if half-way... lol.

Reactions: EV Family
Awesome! What is your VIN?

Any charging station recommendations at Tahoe? I typically go skiing at Kirkwood but they don't offer destination charging at the resort so I may not have enough juice to make it back to the Manteca supercharger to get home

We went to North Lake Tahoe and stopped in Roseville. For Kirkwood, i assume Folsom is more convenient.

Please do understand problems are due to parts, old or revised parts. Parts do not discriminate. Old parts tend to fail more but not all will fail. New parts we don't know yet. People like @Mark Z had the car perfectly fine until 3 month later for the front latch problem to occur. Please be diligent that since doors are fine now does not mean it stay that way forever (I hope they do), since the latch is still old, chance of failure is high. Hopefully new Xs that are coming out the factory uses the updated parts.

Took delivery of my P90D, VIN 1065 on March 30th at the Fremont factory with all options except Ludicrous & Tow. (yes, I have updated model X tracker). This is my first Tesla, still have a Leaf and another ICE SUV in my garage :) No major issues to speak of, overall build quality is very good. One of the FWD did not open once, could reset it by pressing the close button on the display. There may be a small misalignment issue with FWD - when I look at closed doors from the front of the vehicle, the black seals are not flush with the windshield. The DS did not argue with my findings and took pictures and noted on the due bill. There were a lot of Model Xs being delivered that day and most of them had this issue, there were a few where the seals were perfectly flush. Coincidentally, the Sunnyvale service center just called to follow up in regards to the misalignment and that they could inspect to see if it was indeed an issues that needs fixing - will know more tomorrow.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase, the drive is excellent. Autopilot works well, have not had time to play around with Summon yet. There is no road noise and front doors seems to work normally so far without any issue. Hope that long term reliability will be good :)

...since doors are fine now does not mean it stay that way forever...
I don't mind if the latch fails, it's the lack of parts at the Service Center that is frustrating. My Model X has been sitting for a week, not being charged and no latch replacement yet.

The other frustration is seeing the doors unlocked again on the iPhone and calling the SC to remind someone to manually lock the car by pressing the touchscreen lock icon.

I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone bringing their Model X to the Service Center with a broken front door latch that fails to fully latch posts the following message inside the vehicle and a smaller warning tag attached to the key fob:

"WARNING: This Model X can ONLY be locked with the lock icon on the touchscreen."

Please do understand problems are due to parts, old or revised parts. Parts do not discriminate. Old parts tend to fail more but not all will fail. New parts we don't know yet. People like @Mark Z had the car perfectly fine until 3 month later for the front latch problem to occur. Please be diligent that since doors are fine now does not mean it stay that way forever (I hope they do), since the latch is still old, chance of failure is high. Hopefully new Xs that are coming out the factory uses the updated parts.

What is the status of your X, did you get it back yet from the service center?

My feeling on this is that the chunk of deliveries that just occurred were quarter end "rush" deliveries. These were the ones I was trying to avoid by delaying my delivery date (unsuccessfully). There are some items on my car which have very obvious issues - for example, the trunk/rear storage liner is completely crumpled on one side. I have to think that they were out of supplies and those were being installed regardless of their quality. I saw another poster here who had the same exact issue.

Those types of issues are probably not going to happen early or mid quarter. I was challenged on this assertion before, but I think the collective experience of this forum dictates that end of quarter deliveries are often bulked and rushed. In the case of the X, I think it was even more aggressive because of their shortfall on numbers.

My feeling is that those of you with April/May deliveries are going to be looking at significantly less issues. Fit and finish stuff might still exist, and yet-to-be-determined failures mean that you'll potentially have parts that will eventually need replacing. But overall, I think you'll be in good shape.

The door issue that caused my X to get back to the shop appears to have affected a few of us on the forum as well. If it's a failure of the controller in the door (which it seems like, as it doesn't respond to diagnostics), then it's unlikely that part will be completely redesigned before any delivery in the next few months. But it's also possible that they are one-off failures or wiring issues, etc. We'll see.

Were they able to fix your X at the SS today?