Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arachnids, unstaggered to staggered, alignment, winter-to-summer and back...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Had a search around but couldn't find an answer that really covers this.

Just picked up my extremely shiny set of Arachnid referral wheels and found out that, like the P-variant 21s, they are staggered front to back. Whilst I assume it's not an issue fitting a staggered set to a lowly coil-sprung 75D, I'm curious about the suspension realignment issue when fitting the 21s as I wish to designate my original 19" slipstreams as a winter set, seeing as they're currently fitted with SottoZero 3's and the extra rubber really helps when encountering mud- or snow-filled potholes.

Given that fitting the 21s requires a suspension geometry realignment, once that is done can the 19s be refitted without having to realign again or am I in for a £145 realignment charge on every swap? Whilst this would still be cheaper than sourcing another set of 21" wheels and tyres, it's something I'd rather do without...

If anyone can shine a light on this I'd appreciate it!

Reactions: dbldwn02
While I don't have an "official" answer to your question I can tell you that my Model Ss (all three) came from the factory with staggered 21" wheels/summer performance tires and I regularly put on the Tesla 19" winter wheel/tire set (non-staggered) without any realignment and without any unusual wear patterns on the 19" tires.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: cantanko
I bounce between my stock 21s and 19s in winter. No issues swapping them in the garage. Car is set up for the 21s and only on the 19s for snow, so if there are wear issues on the 19s the minimal use over winter months isn't bad enough for me to notice.

I bounce between my stock 21s and 19s in winter. No issues swapping them in the garage. Car is set up for the 21s and only on the 19s for snow, so if there are wear issues on the 19s the minimal use over winter months isn't bad enough for me to notice.

Exactly the same here except 19" Cyclones with Michelin MX All-Season tires used for winter driving AND out-of-state road trips where potholes are more of an issue than here in well paved Orange County, sunny SoCal.

• Helpful
Hello,

Had a search around but couldn't find an answer that really covers this.

Just picked up my extremely shiny set of Arachnid referral wheels and found out that, like the P-variant 21s, they are staggered front to back. Whilst I assume it's not an issue fitting a staggered set to a lowly coil-sprung 75D, I'm curious about the suspension realignment issue when fitting the 21s as I wish to designate my original 19" slipstreams as a winter set, seeing as they're currently fitted with SottoZero 3's and the extra rubber really helps when encountering mud- or snow-filled potholes.

Given that fitting the 21s requires a suspension geometry realignment, once that is done can the 19s be refitted without having to realign again or am I in for a £145 realignment charge on every swap? Whilst this would still be cheaper than sourcing another set of 21" wheels and tyres, it's something I'd rather do without...

If anyone can shine a light on this I'd appreciate it!

I don't think the size of the wheel requires a realignment at all. I switch to 20 inch wheels in November then back to arachnid 21s in March. The alignment remains the same with both.

Many thanks for the replies, folks - that's really good news!

This does however raise the question as to why the factory alignment for 19s and 21s is different, given that the 19s can be run on the 21" alignment without issue :)

Cheers again all!

What are the tire sizes with the staggered Arachnids?
245/35R21 on the front, 265/35R21 on the rear from memory although I will check that this evening.

Doing some maths on the back of a laptop shows that to be an approximate 2% increase in rolling circumference, something that has previously had (inferior, mechanically front-to-back linked) four-wheel-drive drivetrains whinging at me. Wondering if the realignment also includes an adjustment for ABS and ESP to account for that delta, or if the car's clever enough now to train itself...

Reactions: steve841
Sorry for the delay - measurements confirmed:

i91OnhI.png

Newbie question related to the above:

What sort of adjustment needs to be made in the software when swapping out wheels of different sizes (i.e. 19 vs 21)? Can this be done at any tire shop or should it always be the Tesla SC (which is >2 hrs away for me)? I'm shopping for a used model S and strongly prefer 19" wheels as I prize ride quality and quietness above all else, but I don't want to turn away a good deal on a car that happens to have 21s mounted (which I would swap out for 19s).