Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Canadians still getting Model 3s right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my discount back for a 2018 VIN, LR AWD.

$6000 off
Free Upgrade to 19” Sport Wheels

Soooo.....do I take it?

My gut is saying no - I’m honestly thinking the resale value loss is way more than this. I’m also concerned as I know this car has been sitting in a lot in a Tacoma, Washington all winter, who knows what shape it is in.

I accepted a very similar deal for a car that was on the lot in upstate NY for the winter. 0 regrets. Dec 2018 car, 300km on it. LR AWD Aero. My discount was $7200 (just discount, no bonuses/upgrades) but after taxes and interest that's close to $10,000. You can still refuse the car when you pick it up if you spot any issues. Just don't sign the MVPA until you've inspected the car and you're good! This means picking up at a Tesla service center or store, no home delivery!

I believe that reduced resale value on a 2018 VIN is a valid concern, but less of an issue with Tesla than other brands. Hard to put a specific price on it, but I'm very happy with the deal I got.

The other concern is that there's a huge backlog of LR AWD orders in Canada at the moment. If you don't take the 2018 VIN, it might be a while until you get a car.

So lucky! I never received such offer from Tesla, I would have jumped on it!

I think it's worth clarifying, as a warning to others, that I didn't receive an offer from Tesla up front. They were perfectly willing to pass off a 2018 VIN with 300km on it to me as a new car at full price (post-3% price increase, too). It took me many hours of phone tag with Tesla inside sales & delivery to find the build month of the car (year was obvious from the VIN), # of KM on it, and finally to get a discount. This all came together the day before delivery. No one called and offered a discount, I called and asked for it. In complete fairness to Tesla, they were very generous with the offer once I asked...but they were not forthcoming with it.

I totally agree I was lucky, but I could have been very unlucky if I wasn't proactive about it.

I think it's worth clarifying, as a warning to others, that I didn't receive an offer from Tesla up front. They were perfectly willing to pass off a 2018 VIN with 300km on it to me as a new car at full price (post-3% price increase, too). It took me many hours of phone tag with Tesla inside sales & delivery to find the build month of the car (year was obvious from the VIN), # of KM on it, and finally to get a discount. This all came together the day before delivery. No one called and offered a discount, I called and asked for it. In complete fairness to Tesla, they were very generous with the offer once I asked...but they were not forthcoming with it.

I totally agree I was lucky, but I could have been very unlucky if I wasn't proactive about it.

Good to know! Anyway I'm not sure there will be many 2018 left now. At this point I'm hoping that at least I'll have the HW3 Autopilot (I paid for FSD) so I don't have to wait for a retrofit.

$6000 off

Soooo.....do I take it?

My gut is saying no - I’m honestly thinking the resale value loss is way more than this. I’m also concerned as I know this car has been sitting in a lot in a Tacoma, Washington all winter, who knows what shape it is in.
So an update to my dilemma.

The 19'' Sport Wheel Upgrade is NOT free. The car I am matched to has the sport wheels so if I want the 2018 car, I have to PAY for the upgrade.

So the net discount is $4000. I'm not too happy with that to be honest.

$6000 off

Soooo.....do I take it?

I say go for it. Mine was a 2019 VIN, no discount, but turned out to be a January car. Besides, with most manufactures, many of the early 2019 model year cars would have been produced in late 2018 anyhow. I guess it depends on how long you plan to keep it though because once a car is say 5 years old, the mileage (and battery health) is probably more important than the year (assuming there were no major changes between years) when it comes to the value.

Having to pay for the sport wheels does put a damper on it....

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
I got a confirmation from Tesla finance that rates were adjusted after Q1 and that anyone who has not yet taken delivery (their rate should shows as unchanged in their account) will need to take delivery before their approval expires (which is 30days from receiving it).

If it expires, they will have to re-do the approval, and you would then receive the updated (read: higher) rates.

• Informative
Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
I got a confirmation from Tesla finance that rates were adjusted after Q1 and that anyone who has not yet taken delivery (their rate should shows as unchanged in their account) will need to take delivery before their approval expires (which is 30days from receiving it).

If it expires, they will have to re-do the approval, and you would then receive the updated (read: higher) rates.

Wow, this is pathetic. I accepted terms. And now I'll have to pay more because they cannot respect their delivery estimates?

Yes this sucks but I'd imagine it's more the bank than it is Tesla - they don't do the financing in-house. The loan decisions have a limited validity period and if it's not signed I'd imagine it has to be re-generated, at current rates.

I just got off the phone with Tesla and at the same time got an email reply from my sale advisor, both confirm the rates change but it's decreasing!

6L5Bexj.png

They both told me the new rate will be adjusted in my order so in my case I'll get 4.15% instead of 4.25% :D

I just got off the phone with Tesla and at the same time got an email reply from my sale advisor, both confirm the rates change but it's decreasing!

6L5Bexj.png

They both told me the new rate will be adjusted in my order so in my case I'll get 4.15% instead of 4.25% :D

Wow! You sure about that? This is the first time I see that information! I'll keep checking my account, my approval should expire on April 8th. What also scares me is : will it count as multiples "hits" against my credit? Applying for such a large amounth "every month" cannot be good...

6L5Bexj.png

That's awesome! The reply I got just said we'd get the updated rates. But didn't correct me and say they went down :\ I was going by the online calculator which now shows 4.6% for 96 months (and some earlier posts that rates were going up).

I've got a locked in rate at 4.25% with Scotia. Still shows 4.25% now. But i'll be sure to get them to update it if delivery looks like it will happen in April.

How do you get the rate from Scotia. I want the lowest one :)
When I applied for financing (March 30 I think?) - I got approved for RBC 96 months @ 4.25%. I emailed [email protected] with my order # and asked if I was able to get it switched to Scotiabank as I do all of my banking with Scotia. They replied the rates were the same, and switched me over. Right away it showed as "Scotiabank" as the lender in my account.

I'm patiently waiting for my performance model 3. This is an EXISTING vehicle that is taking forever to ship from Seattle to Vancouver (1 day ship by the way). Approved for financing on 25th of March for 3.75% 72 months, and I noticed a few days ago it updated to 3.52% in my Tesla account. My service advisor told me that it was wrong and rates would be going up, but clearly he has no idea what he's talking about..

I'm not going on vacation from the 8th to the 23rd of April so it better be here by then..

More (mis)information from Tesla.
The rates are correct on the website. I went to the Lawrence location and they verified it. They are not the lower rates myself and others have quoted. It would be good to get the Scotiabank rate if possible but I don’t know the steps.