Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Canadians still getting Model 3s right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So was i but that was not correct. We do get HW3 but the date of that is unknown our cars are suppose to have HW3 to start with. Thus my disappointment.

With Tesla chat now and my car was built May 19 and has HW2.5. They confirmed that if I order FSD in the future they will upgrade to HW3. Disappointed too that I didn't get HW3 when older builds came with HW3. Wonder if its a cost saving measure to clear out the older HW2.5 since FSD orders are small now and save the HW3 for people that do order FSD later. Still, I figured if you ordered FSD you should have received HW3

With Tesla chat now and my car was built May 19 and has HW2.5. They confirmed that if I order FSD in the future they will upgrade to HW3. Disappointed too that I didn't get HW3 when older builds came with HW3. Wonder if its a cost saving measure to clear out the older HW2.5 since FSD orders are small now and save the HW3 for people that do order FSD later. Still, I figured if you ordered FSD you should have received HW3
Does it matter? I ordered fsd and car built may 12.. if it comes with hw2.5 then I still have all of today’s functionality and they will upgrade me later right? If that’s true then who cares?

Does it matter? I ordered fsd and car built may 12.. if it comes with hw2.5 then I still have all of today’s functionality and they will upgrade me later right? If that’s true then who cares?
Supposedly, if you ordered a car after build date of April 12 you get HW3
And if you have HW2.5 and order FSD later you get HW3 upgrade.
Obviously that is wrong since TorontoHM3wait was told he has HW2.5 even though he ordered FSD.

As for me, I did not order FSD but my car should have HW3 since earlier builds did get that.
It matters to me because if I do not plan to order FSD in the future suppose there is a update or new features that requires HW3?
New car should have the newest hardware.
Imagine buying a laptop and finding out you received the older less powerful cpu?
In essence that is what is happening.
HW3 cpu is much more powerful than HW2.5
I'm picking up the car in an hour and we'll see if the Tesla chat people were wrong.

Only thing is how long it will take to get that upgrade. There is going to be a loooooooooonnnnnnggg list of people with 2.5 getting the upgrade. If you get it built in from the start, you dont have to wait for that. Personally if I was ordering one now, I would make sure to get one with 3.0 in it to avoid this wait/hassle down the road...unless I got a deal on an inventory one with 2.5

Only thing is how long it will take to get that upgrade. There is going to be a loooooooooonnnnnnggg list of people with 2.5 getting the upgrade. If you get it built in from the start, you dont have to wait for that. Personally if I was ordering one now, I would make sure to get one with 3.0 in it to avoid this wait/hassle down the road...unless I got a deal on an inventory one with 2.5
And how can you make sure of that? By rejecting delivery of every 2.5?

Reactions: Kmartyn
Did Elon not say all vehicles made after April 12th would have this upgrade? How can they backtrack on cars made a month later?
Did he not say it was 10x more powerful (IIRC)? We are not talking about a small change here.
Did Tesla not release firmware 16.3, optimized for this new computer?
Are new buyers being advised about this major downgrade?
If you don’t buy FSD, you don’t get the upgrade, so what happens to your resale value?

I am a Tesla fan, but if they are indeed using old parts on new production I will be seriously disappointed.

Reactions: torontohm3wait
Did Elon not say all vehicles made after April 12th would have this upgrade? How can they backtrack on cars made a month later?
Did he not say it was 10x more powerful (IIRC)? We are not talking about a small change here.
Did Tesla not release firmware 16.3, optimized for this new computer?
Are new buyers being advised about this major downgrade?
If you don’t buy FSD, you don’t get the upgrade, so what happens to your resale value?

I am a Tesla fan, but if they are indeed using old parts on new production I will be seriously disappointed.

I am not sure how much DA knows about different hardware. My DA had no clue that there is new hardware. But I believe I received HW3.0 - based on the software version that the vehicle came with - 2019.7.105. I am on 2019.12.1.2 now.

My car (LR AWD) was build in April 2019

I am not sure how much DA knows about different hardware. My DA had no clue that there is new hardware. But I believe I received HW3.0 - based on the software version that the vehicle came with - 2019.7.105. I am on 2019.12.1.2 now.

My car (LR AWD) was build in April 2019

My understanding is that 2019.12 was compatible with 2.5 an 3. Then 2019.16 came out originally for 2.5 only. Then 2019.16.3 came out specifically for HW3. HW3 also stores video files in a newer format. If you can park in an area with good Wi-Fi, 16.3 seems to be rolling out pretty quickly now for HW3.
I have not received my M3 yet, so I cannot verify any of this.

My current theory is that Tesla simply ran out of HW3 computers, and started using old parts to meet production. I sincerely hope this theory is proven to be wrong.

HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

• Disagree
Reactions: Vawlkus
My understanding is that 2019.12 was compatible with 2.5 an 3. Then 2019.16 came out originally for 2.5 only. Then 2019.16.3 came out specifically for HW3. HW3 also stores video files in a newer format. If you can park in an area with good Wi-Fi, 16.3 seems to be rolling out pretty quickly now for HW3.
I have not received my M3 yet, so I cannot verify any of this.

My current theory is that Tesla simply ran out of HW3 computers, and started using old parts to meet production. I sincerely hope this theory is proven to be wrong.

HW2.5 even after April 12th build date
Just updated and its 2019.16.2 so that means HW2.5?
Pretty disappointed if that's true.
Right now, I only see Canadian cars with HW2.5 with build dates after April