Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are lifting pucks necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's probably unlikely to happen, but what if the car starts to shift sideways? What's to prevent it from happening if the puck is not "plugged into" the car's chassis without the nipple?
The whole purpose of the nipple is for a car lift. You plug all 4 in, they stay put and move the arms under the pucks. Makes it easy to spot and makes the arms clear the battery.

Some “pucks” are magnetic and flat.

They are not meant for sideways grip. Although it certainly won’t hurt. Anything that puts the load in that area without gouging up the area around it is probably fine. Common sense applies as far as slipping goes.

I assume the torque wrench works the same as the old school T wrench with some elbow grease.

No. A torque wrench limits the torque (turning force) so you don't over-stress the threads when screwing in the bolts.

On tire rotation: The mobile service guy said they "prefer to have the best depth in the rear because a blowout in front is more controllable." So they rotate tires only when the front tires have deeper tread.

So if I'm just jacking up one wheel at a time in order to service the brakes, I don't need a puck at all? Could I just jack directly onto the jacking point without anything on the metal saddle of my jack?
20220522_091250.jpg

Right, cheers, I'll get a small nipple-less one that fits in the saddle
Why nipple-less? It’s easier with the nipple. Just pop it on the car and you can see exactly where to place the jack from the side of the car because it hangs down. Roll jack under it and jack up. You can’t miss. Orderwise you keep having to look under the car to make sure your in the right spot.

I can't find a puck with a nipple that fits in my saddle (that would be ideal!). I'm not sure I want to jack onto the puck that's wider than the saddle. Although it is very rubbery and so maybe it will hold OK 🤔
I bought aluminum ones for my X. They are pretty small in diameter and I’d be surprised if they would not fit in your saddle.

I don’t know which car you have.

These are not the ones I got but look similar.

I don’t see specs on diameter on any of them. Some are the size of hockey pucks or made from hockey pucks and are pretty large diameter. Most aluminum ones are small diameter that I have seen.

You can tell they are small diameter by the relative diameter of the nipple.

https://www.amazon.com/Qook-Adapter-Aluminum-Safely-Raising/dp/B07WXHVYH6

It's a M3. The aluminium pucks do look like they'd fit but I can't see them in the UK. I'll do some digging. The hockey puck + screwed on nipple is a great idea. I don't have a 3D printer but might see if I can find something that'll do the job. Cheers!

It's a M3. The aluminium pucks do look like they'd fit but I can't see them in the UK. I'll do some digging. The hockey puck + screwed on nipple is a great idea. I don't have a 3D printer but might see if I can find something that'll do the job. Cheers!
Hockey pucks are too big for a lot of saddles.

I saw a whole bunch of pucks on Amazon that look on the small side. Many larger ones too. I can’t imagine you can’t find one of the smaller ones there.

Here you go Amazon UK 3rd picture even gives dimension. Only 2.5” diameter. There are many. Probably can find cheaper if you want.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTOHAUX-Adapters-Aluminum-Protects-Damaging/dp/B095VY8LJK/

Looks like the saddle in your jack is tiny like what might come in a 1.5 or lower ton jack. The aluminum jack pucks won't fit in it (nor will the plastic round ones made for Tesla either). I would not use them if they don't fit inside the saddle because they can slide off. On the other hand, the cheap rubber hockey pucks should work well even though the "teeth" of the saddle will dig into the rubber. The rubber and saddle teeth will keep anything from slipping.

You can actually jack up your Tesla directly with your jack and no pucks as long as you make sure the saddle is in a good spot on the jack point where it won't slip off. The only reason I don't do that and wouldn't recommend it is because the hard metal saddle will scratch your jack point a little bit.

Reactions: mswlogo
Thanks for this. It is a 2 tonne jack which is 2.2 US tons. I was wondering if the teeth of the saddle would jam into the rubber of the puck and prevent slippage. I think I'll try this and just be very careful when I start unscrewing the wheel nuts.

Thanks for this. It is a 2 tonne jack which is 2.2 US tons. I was wondering if the teeth of the saddle would jam into the rubber of the puck and prevent slippage. I think I'll try this and just be very careful when I start unscrewing the wheel nuts.
Most pucks are not rubber. Not sure the material but teeth will not sink in. You could grind notch’s on the puck (taper it all the way around) so it nestles in into that saddle I’ll bet.

What is diameter of inside the teeth vs outside teeth?

I've already got the puck, it's rubber but much wider than the saddle. It's about 45mm between the inside of the teeth. I don't know how easy it would be to cut notches in the puck for the teeth to slot in. I could give it a try although I'll probably cut my finger off!

Attachments

• 20220519_132120.jpg
    20220519_132120.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 49
I've already got the puck, it's rubber but much wider than the saddle. It's about 45mm between the inside of the teeth. I don't know how easy it would be to cut notches in the puck for the teeth to slot in. I could give it a try although I'll probably cut my finger off!
That looks like one of the hockey puck size pucks and would not try to grind that. The other pucks are MUCH smaller and thought it might be a tight fit within the teeth.

That is so big it will probably sit fine on top of the teeth. Nipple will keep it in place. It does not have to go inside the teeth of saddle.

That looks like one of the hockey puck size pucks and would not try to grind that. The other pucks are MUCH smaller and thought it might be a tight fit within the teeth.

That is so big it will probably sit fine on top of the teeth. Nipple will keep it in place. It does not have to go inside the teeth of saddle.
Cheers, I was worried about the saddle slipping off the puck but I expect it'll probably stick by the teeth digging into the rubber like you and "android04" have said. I'd read elsewhere that the puck did need to fit inside the saddle which prompted my question in the first place. That's probably an over cautious approach.

Cheers, I was worried about the saddle slipping off the puck but I expect it'll probably stick by the teeth digging into the rubber like you and "android04" have said. I'd read elsewhere that the puck did need to fit inside the saddle which prompted my question in the first place. That's probably an over cautious approach.
I thought it marginally fit so that it might twist or something. I think on top of teeth should fine. Assuming jack is on level ground etc. and can roll as you jack.