Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are other OEM's using Tesla Superchargers already in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think there are “more and better options out there” just yet.
Although in 1 or 2 years…
There are definitely more, and better is a relative term. It depends on your priorities. M3 does not suit everyone. if you need a hatchback for less than 50K because you have dogs or want to get bulky items in the back it is 100% not the ideal car for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: intactradio
Let’s hope they make a charging pricing structure that puts off the majority of non Tesla users. I wouldn’t mind the odd person with a fast charging capacity joining in, but lots of slow charging cars will be a negative. One of the USPs for Tesla will be lost, they need to be very careful with this one.
I don't use Rapids often but if I was trying to get from A-B on a bank holiday weekend I would grit my teeth and use an Ionity charger if it was in the right place at the right time for me. I suspect the same would be true for high priced Superchargers and non Teslas. so the very time when it matters most high pricing will not put the muggles off using Superchargers.

3248EBC8-E28D-45FA-B3BA-53857BECD3F4.png

apparently working for a Porsche Taycan!

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
If the chargers are on free vend then maybe the VIN matching is disabled?

Had a long chat with Osprey at the Fully Charged show this weekend: most auto makers haven't implemented the parts of the CCS standard that communicate the VIN (I think she said that Porsche have). This is why general use chargers can't have "plug and charge" and have to equip the stall with payment devices. A bunch of charger operators have just set up a consolidated billing mechanism with Octopus (called "Juice"), so you identify yourself to the charger with a "Juice" card, and it bills back via your Octopus account. But you still have to separately identify yourself to the charging stand, they won't implement VIN identification just for Tesla and Porsche (and a couple of other small volume marques, can't remember which).

This is going to be the challenge when they "open the SC network" - either it is an Elon wheeze, and in the small print it will say "for cars that communicate VIN via CCS", or there will need to be app changes where you plug into a SC stand and then use an app to turn the specific stand on.

But to return to the subject this thread, the most likely reason just now to see non-Tesla vehicles getting SC juice is that VIN matching is disabled, either because a new SC site is on free vend or because of a temporary back end glitch.

Had a long chat with Osprey at the Fully Charged show this weekend: most auto makers haven't implemented the parts of the CCS standard that communicate the VIN (I think she said that Porsche have). This is why general use chargers can't have "plug and charge" and have to equip the stall with payment devices. A bunch of charger operators have just set up a consolidated billing mechanism with Octopus (called "Juice"), so you identify yourself to the charger with a "Juice" card, and it bills back via your Octopus account. But you still have to separately identify yourself to the charging stand, they won't implement VIN identification just for Tesla and Porsche (and a couple of other small volume marques, can't remember which).

This is going to be the challenge when they "open the SC network" - either it is an Elon wheeze, and in the small print it will say "for cars that communicate VIN via CCS", or there will need to be app changes where you plug into a SC stand and then use an app to turn the specific stand on.

But to return to the subject this thread, the most likely reason just now to see non-Tesla vehicles getting SC juice is that VIN matching is disabled, either because a new SC site is on free vend or because of a temporary back end glitch.
Fastned offer it on anything over than VW group MEB based cars, Mazda and Citroen. I've seen video's of it working with Hyundai's

If the car doesn't support, I assume the app will be able to activate a specific stall anyway. can't see that being a big problem. I do wonder how reliable Tesla's data network is to the SuperChargers, seems to be one of the Achilles heels for most operators.

At the risk of overanalysing a photo, his comment says he "successfully charged on device 1". I would be fairly confident in saying that the second supercharger in from the photo, the one he might be charging on if it's on the passenger side, wouldn't be device 1.

It's also possible that his car isn't even the Taycan and he's just taken a photo of the location that is ambiguous.

I would think if superchargers were allowing Taycans, even this one, then it would be public knowledge.

Reactions: Cardo

Had a long chat with Osprey at the Fully Charged show this weekend: most auto makers haven't implemented the parts of the CCS standard that communicate the VIN (I think she said that Porsche have). This is why general use chargers can't have "plug and charge" and have to equip the stall with payment devices.
FYI the relevant standard is ISO 15118, one of whose features is Plug & charge. The list of supported models (according to the wiki page) is very short: 2021 year Taycan, Lucid Air, Mach-E, 2018 Ampera and VW iD4 due to get it at some point via a software update (and I assume that means the other VW group models built on the same platform)

This [page](https://www.electrive.com/2020/12/15/plugcharge-the-missing-link-to-a-breakthrough/) also makes the point that it's not just about the communication on the CCS level - once the charger knows that the car is the one with VIN xyz there is still further integration required so that knows who to take money from - so conceivably you could have a plug & charge car that only supports this with some networks.

Autocharge is not Plug and charge.. they're competing standards.. the latter requiring special vehicle support hence the issues with rollout.

Autocharge uses the mac address which is sent during the initial handshake. All cars should be sending that as it's part of the core ccs standard (doesn't stop the manufacturers sending bogus data, but you'd hope that would be limited to small manufacturers and none of the majors).

I suspect that's what gridserve are planning too.

This would be a big blow for Tesla owners. I stretched my budget to buy a Tesla based on the exclusive use of the supercharger network.

I fail to see how this would help Tesla to sell more cars. Quite the opposite imo. This would be a very ‘Elon’ gaff to make

Reactions: pilotSteve
I fail to see how this would help Tesla to sell more cars. Quite the opposite imo. This would be a very ‘Elon’ gaff to mamake

As far as Elon is concerned the FSD is Tesla's only main priority. Tesla have all but stopped actually car developments, no 'refreshed' S/Xs have been made for months. The 'next gen' cars- Roadster + Cybertruck have no production date, and the 3/Y will continue as they currently are.

It looks like pretty much all of the money Tesla has is been poured into FSD development. Betting the farm on one big idea is how Tesla have got to where they are and that isn't about to change.

If you asked Musk about why buy a Tesla over a Ford EV, I suspect he will tell you the Supercharger network isn't a reason to own Tesla.

I have mixed feelings about this. I would have absolutely bought a Polestar 2 last year instead of a Model 3 if the Supercharger network hadn’t been such a differentiator. As a Tesla owner I’m a bit miffed that the main reason (for me at least) to chose Tesla is now being diluted, but on the flip-side, at least I know that in 2 years when it comes to choosing my next car I can comfortably leave Tesla and all the design and build quality issues behind.
Haha... "I can comfortably leave all the design and build quality issues behind"

You really think that? be careful what you wish for 😁

Reactions: Yachtsman