Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are rear mud flaps really necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you consider that Tesla has gone to great lengths to insure good wind resistance adding things like Mud Flaps has to hurt that a little bit. With electric cars every little bit helps. So my question is are rear mud flaps really necessary? I see where the front ones would definitely be and the fact that Tesla sells the front ones shows there is a need for them but are rear mud flaps really needed? Can anyone post pics of a tesla where damage has been done from not having the REAR mud flaps? Would like to weight the benefits of real world damage.

When you consider that Tesla has gone to great lengths to insure good wind resistance adding things like Mud Flaps has to hurt that a little bit. With electric cars every little bit helps. So my question is are rear mud flaps really necessary? I see where the front ones would definitely be and the fact that Tesla sells the front ones shows there is a need for them but are rear mud flaps really needed? Can anyone post pics of a tesla where damage has been done from not having the REAR mud flaps? Would like to weight the benefits of real world damage.
good question. I'd like to know how much range is lost with 2 sets of mudflaps. However, I bet it's a small price to pay to keep the lower body panels chip free

Reactions: kindofblue
good question. I'd like to know how much range is lost with 2 sets of mudflaps. However, I bet it's a small price to pay to keep the lower body panels chip free
My question really is how many rock chips do you actually get on the rear body panels from no rear mud flaps. I would think if the issue was big enough Tesla would actually sell rear mud flaps too. I have seen videos of the damage caused from not having front ones but not from the rear ones. I will 100% take the range hit with the front mud flaps. Even though I am getting a white model y and rock chips will not show nearly as much as any of the other color cars. At least until it gets down to the actual metal.

The rear of the Model Y from the roof down to the rear bumper gets dirty due to the airflow over the surface of the vehicle. Rain water follows this same flow pattern and deposits even more dirt over the rear of the vehicle. The only visible debris I have observed at the rear of the Model Y due to spray from the rear wheels has been a couple of inches at the bottom edge of the rear wheel wells on the plastic trim.

As for the other vehicles following behind my Model Y, if they kept back a safe distance they would stay cleaner. No matter what you do the Model Y is going to get splashed, sprayed from vehicles moving in an adjacent lane either going in your direction of the opposite direction.

I drank the kool-aid and got the mud flaps (front and rear) even though I wasn’t in love with the look; wanted to protect the car. I’ve only put about 350 miles on my car thus far and just blew out the passenger right tire yesterday. I want to blame it on a ricochet, from the small piece of metal I picked up on the road, off the mud flap. I’ll never know for sure but the mud flaps have all been removed.

You should also consider that the tires spit rubber that embeds itself into the paint. Especially at the rear of the car.
You'll see it well on white paint, less so on the other colors.
So the mud flaps are a good thing in the rear....or just use PPF.

6.jpg

The greatest range loss in any EV is your lead foot on the accelerator. I just did over 2000 miles on a road trip and rarely drove over 74mph as that was my CC setting for the interstate. I did 243wh/mile average for the whole trip in my M S. Most of that was in AP FSD. Remember, wind resistance is EV's greatest range loss as you increase speed.

Note- I don't need mud flaps on my M S but I have then on all 4 on the Y. Much less experience with the Y as it is new but so far the wh/mile is about the same as my S. That surprised me.

I agree with your second sentence. We drive the Y locally mostly and the flaps have done a great job. I installed the 3D kind that are more aerodynamic than the flat Tesla ones.

IMHO they are pretty light and installed very low to really have quantifiable impact. I installed them for cosmetic reasons though am sure it is functional as well.