Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are test drive cars tuned slower?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a performance 3 yesterday. I don't know if I am just used to the Tesla acceleration or fast cars in general, but I don't seem to get the same level of thrill as some of those guys on YouTube are claiming. Don't get me wrong, the car is still plenty fast. It had about 60% charge, but I am curious to see if the test drive cars are detuned a little bit or if I am just used to driving EVs. I tried both track mode on and off, same thing. I recall an old P85 from 2015 was quicker off the line, the 3 did feel faster at medium to high speed.

Also the model s does have a bit more of a kick off the line as far as I remember, but the difference between 60-90 %soc is very noticeable

Depends on the S of course... a P3 is (roughly) comparable to like a P85D or P90D....very slightly quicker without the 85/90 having Lud, slightly slower if the 85/90 has it...

In contrast the P3 is noticeably slower than a P100D with ludicrous

But then so is virtually every other mass production car on earth.

On the S I believe they can adjust them to perform differently on test drives. Its been awhile but when I test drove one I feel like it was 90D and sales guy was able to set it to perform like a 75D.
The 90D and 75D have the same 0-60 times(4.2 s)..the only differences that I know of is range, and top end speed. I am not sure anyone on a test drive would notice the difference between a top speed of 140 or 155.

They can limit the top speed, but this also puts the car into Chill mode, and I would expect that would also disable Track mode.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JBT66
The 90D and 75D have the same 0-60 times(4.2 s)..the only differences that I know of is range, and top end speed. I am not sure anyone on a test drive would notice the difference between a top speed of 140 or 155.

They can limit the top speed, but this also puts the car into Chill mode, and I would expect that would also disable Track mode.

Tesla actually has settings for some of their demo model S that can emulate a different model. Like, they have a P100d, and there is a selection screen where they can select different, slower models for test drives.

I assumed he meant a P90D vs a 75D... which is 2.8 (with Lud) vs 4.2.

And yes the S has a service menu that lets you pick what car it drives like.

The 3 does not.

The testers I got were not locked to Chill, but cabin overheat protection was locked off, the max speed was locked to 85 (or so I was told, I didn't push it past around 75 both because I drive on public roads and I am aware of the telemetry available from the car), and I was not able to pair my phone as a key.

The testers I got were not locked to Chill, but cabin overheat protection was locked off, the max speed was locked to 85 (or so I was told, I didn't push it past around 75 both because I drive on public roads and I am aware of the telemetry available from the car), and I was not able to pair my phone as a key.
I find it "unique" that they would have a completely different build of every version of the software just to allow people to go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, but limit them to a top speed of 85.

It was my understanding that the Top speed limit software available on all Tesla's is supposed to not only limit the top speed, but also put the car into Chill mode . My overnight test Model S P100D was locked to 85, and I was informed by the SA(and verified myself) that this also caused the car to be in Chill mode.

They would need to constantly update this since they want anyone in a demo seeing the newest/best version of FSD/AutoPilot/FSD preview with Stop sign/Light/Cones.

Last edited:
I've wondered the same. I have an SR+, which felt crazy fast when new (it replaced a Honda Civic). I test drove a P3D a few months ago when I was at the mall with some time to kill, and was expecting to be absolutely blown away. It just felt fast, but nothing insane, despite being the fastest car I've ever driven by a WIDE margin.

Well, like I said, I did not care to test the stated max speed. The cars were definitely not in Chill Mode though. I was actually caught off-guard by this; I had forgotten that I put a max speed on my far when I had left it for tinting, and which I picked it up, I was rather surprised with just how chill Chill Mode was.

The car was not in chill and it was still fast. I just didn’t feel like it was the end of the world as some of the people have said. I think one of the poster got it right. The car had about 50-60% charge (it was in miles, I hate that), so it was down about 60hp. It made more sense after seeing the dyno result. The p85 loaner I had definitely felt faster, but it might not have been. The s has sloppier suspension, so the body roll could have made a difference

I find it "unique" that they would have a completely different build of every version of the software just to allow people to go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, but limit them to a top speed of 85.

It was my understanding that the Top speed limit software available on all Tesla's is supposed to not only limit the top speed, but also put the car into Chill mode . My overnight test Model S P100D was locked to 85, and I was informed by the SA(and verified myself) that this also caused the car to be in Chill mode.

They would need to constantly update this since they want anyone in a demo seeing the newest/best version of FSD/AutoPilot/FSD preview with Stop sign/Light/Cones.

you are correct - the speed limit mode set in the app will detune the car similar to chill.

Tesla does have a setting available only to them that limits top speed without detune (or displaying a message on the screen).

this is not a different software stack, just a different hidden setting.

• Informative
Reactions: ZappCatt
The car was not in chill and it was still fast. I just didn’t feel like it was the end of the world as some of the people have said. I think one of the poster got it right. The car had about 50-60% charge (it was in miles, I hate that), so it was down about 60hp. It made more sense after seeing the dyno result.
At 50-60% charge, the car almost feels like it has chill mode on even when it's off. (I've never had chill on after trying it once). There is a noticeable difference in power between 50-60% and and 80+%

At 50-60% charge, the car almost feels like it has chill mode on even when it's off. (I've never had chill on after trying it once). There is a noticeable difference in power between 50-60% and and 80+%
While I agree the car feels slower at 60% SoC vs. 80-90%, I don't agree at all that it feels like it's in Chill mode.

I've been at <20% and it was still quicker than Chill mode.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman