Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Model X mules close to the final version?

Are the betas/mules we're seeing the final versions?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AnxietyRanger said:
I have no idea what bonnie knows or doesn't know, so not about her - but the implication that TMC wouldn't have active members (let alone throwaway accounts) more privy than others is not true. It is just the nature of a community like this.
It is. And unless they share, that knowledge is unavailable to us. So why even dwell on it?

No need to dwell on it. I was merely correcting what I felt was not quite accurate, because I felt the fact was being denied too broadly. In any case, I think the fact that some people know more than others deserves acknowledgement - it helps to be aware of the possibility in discussions. Not all reservation holders were born equal, so to speak, for diverse reasons. Some people are closer to various companies than others, again for various reasons. It can - and I assume does - affect what is posted here to an extent. How little or how much may depend greatly on the individual, the most extreme example of course being throwaway account leaksters.

Treating every single poster as equally unknowing (or inhumanely perfectly undisclosing in their reactions) is not realistic.

For the record: I still believe in the vid-screen A Column in the X. And dual (or double-size single) chargers as standard equipment.

And the Iron Throne will be taken apart and used against the White Walkers just in the nick of time, it's dragon-steel after all.
...sorry, wrong club for that last one.

For the record: I still believe in the vid-screen A Column in the X. And dual (or double-size single) chargers as standard equipment.

If this was in response to myself, the opposing-side charging ports was about the port, not the charger:

... Laugh to me about wild musing on A pillar video and my pedantic searches for opposing-side charge ports all you want, that I deserve and can laugh at myself too for my imagination, but I kindly ask do not attribute the opinion's of other to me. I'm sure there is plenty of funny and mistaken material in my stuff as it is, no need to add to it the potential sins of others. :)

As for believing in the A pillar video, it is naturally a real concept by competitors in England. It will surface eventually in some car by someone, but the Model X sighting the theory was based on turned out to be just a missing panel. Of course the latest Model X sighting shows multiple camera-looking-things in action that could theoretically power such a concept, but I'm definitely not leaning on it at this time. :)

The opposite-side charging port, that was always wildly speculative - it just looked in some photos they might have an opening there. There really isn't anything to support that either. :)

Who knows...

If this was in response to myself, the opposing-side charging ports was about ...
Nope. I do feel like those two things will be in the X, or on second thought, the see-thru pillar will be part of an optional Package and 20kW or 22kW capable Chargers will be standard on X and S. I think dual chargers are a hard decision and TM is going to help buyers 'do the right thing' by choosing for them.

Never gave the two-port much consideration, honestly, because of Supercharger layout.

But I have been fantasizing about a 70kWh battery in a pop-up camper trailer, with a charge port for reCharging at SCs and campgrounds. A 'special' cable would feed the X while driving, so the X can unhook at the campsite and you go drive around on its own still-full battery while the camper recharges on 50A... That "square hole" in some mules' rear bumper could be where the feed cable goes. ...I'd buy that camper.
You heard it here first!

Rick

But I have been fantasizing about a 70kWh battery in a pop-up camper trailer, with a charge port for reCharging at SCs and campgrounds. A 'special' cable would feed the X while driving, so the X can unhook at the campsite and you go drive around on its own still-full battery while the camper recharges on 50A... That "square hole" in some mules' rear bumper could be where the feed cable goes. ...I'd buy that camper.
You heard it here first!

Yup, right after Apple makes an iPhone with a replaceable battery. This has been discussed before and I don't think it will ever happen. You can't just put a battery on a trailer. It would be like transporting gasoline in an open trailer. You have to add protective housing in case of an accident, heating/cooling to protect the battery, onboard charger and supporting electronics, etc. You'll be towing an expensive 1 ton trailer that will add minimal range once you account for the extra drag.

Just watched this video of a Sep 10 factory tour (posted here first by doggusfluffy) - the tour guide told the group that only 20 people in the whole company have seen a final production Model X so far. So I if that´s true, all we have seen driving around - not production after all.

Skip to 19:13 for what I quoted above - the link with the embedded starting time doesn´t seem to do its job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched this video of a Sep 10 factory tour (posted here first by doggusfluffy) - the tour guide told the group that only 20 people in the whole company have seen a final production Model X so far. So I if that´s true, all we have seen driving around - not production after all.

Skip to 19:13 for what I quoted above - the link with the embedded starting time doesn´t seem to do its job.

That seems quite plausible.

However, the big question is: How different is that final production model? Given that Design Studio is out, with interior and exterior pictures conforming to the mules we have seen on the roads - with the exception of unseen nose - should we think:

1) This data suggests something radically different from the Design Studio being the final car?

2) Or merely just that only a few people have seen the hidden nose and a token other difference in the body, but otherwise the production car is like in the Design Studio and thus like on the road as recent mules?

What do you think hobbes?

However, the big question is: How different is that final production model? Given that Design Studio is out, with interior and exterior pictures conforming to the mules we have seen on the roads - with the exception of unseen nose - should we think:

1) This data suggests something radically different from the Design Studio being the final car?

2) Or merely just that only a few people have seen the hidden nose and a token other difference in the body, but otherwise the production car is like in the Design Studio and thus like on the road as recent mules?

I've bolded what may be causing the panic on TMC, from memory (too lazy to go back in the threads) these were not model X pictures, they were renderings.

I've bolded what may be causing the panic on TMC, from memory (too lazy to go back in the threads) these were not model X pictures, they were renderings.

I am fairly certain that the renderings will not be substantially different from the actual Model X that is delivered to customers.

At this late stage, with early Signature Series reservation holders finalizing their configurations and paying for their orders, it would be in extremely bad taste for Tesla to continue to be deceptive in what the product really looks like.

Given the late prototype photos on the street and the customization renderings, it's almost impossible that Model X looks much different from what we've already seen.

Or, it means exactly what he says-- only 20 people in the company have seen a final production Model X. It doesn't mean that the final production X looks any different than the prototype Xs we've been spotting for months. Why would it?

I don't think most people on here thought they were seeing actual, production Xs driving around for test purposes. They are probably release candidate cars, and very, very close to the final cars-- but the first "final production Model X" will be handed over to a customer on the 29th, and it stands to reason that it may not have been built yet. Or, I guess based on these comments, it has been built...

Last edited by a moderator:

Don´t really know what to think. If you just take the words it could mean only 20 people of Tesla have seen the final cars, but it doesn´t explicitly say anything about people outside Tesla seeing them driving around. Doesn´t really make sense though. Also, if there was no significant difference except better fit and finish, it would not be worth making such a fuss about it. So eventually, it is all about hoping for a final nice surprise (piece of structural art maybe ;) ) after the perception here has turned a bit sour, which I think is in a large part due to the long wait.

Don´t really know what to think. If you just take the words it could mean only 20 people of Tesla have seen the final cars, but it doesn´t explicitly say anything about people outside Tesla seeing them driving around. Doesn´t really make sense though. Also, if there was no significant difference except better fit and finish, it would not be worth making such a fuss about it. So eventually, it is all about hoping for a final nice surprise (piece of structural art maybe ;) ) after the perception here has turned a bit sour, which I think is in a large part due to the long wait.

It's no accident that the Design Studio images hide the front fascia of the Model-X. If only 20 Tesla employees have seen the final cars, I suspect that means that there are features that the general public have not yet seen, specifically to do with the front. I'm sure there are other more minor things (e.g. internal features) that we haven't seen yet either. I'm preparing to be surprised with a different Model-X nose on September 29th, along with other goodies regarding features (e.g. 360 view, seats, Auto-Pilot, etc.).

OK. We've seen it. My call: the "mules" were, on whole, the same body style as the production car. The nose is different, but that was hidden and so I don't think counts against a serious change.

My call: The bettors need to pony up. Let's see some signatures changed.