Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the variations of HW4 on model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I was just at my tesla dealer and the guys confirmed that i get HW4 for my MSLR.
But looking into the cameras from a car in the store which he says is also HW4 i can't see the red tind that people are saying is on new cameras.

Tesla refuses to say what the cameras are just that its HW4.

At least i can read that there is 16GB of memory which is consistent with the info about HW4. I took a shot of the camera on the side of the car so you can see. Also attaching the one i found with the red tint.
So my questions is this, are there multiple versions of HW4, one with newer camera and one without? anyone received their model S recently who can share more info on this?

I will get mine next week so a bit desperate to get more info from you guys.

Attachments

• tesla1.jpeg
    tesla1.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 438
  • tesla2.jpeg
    tesla2.jpeg
    426.1 KB · Views: 296
  • tesla3.jpeg
    tesla3.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 306
To be honest I have read, seen videos and even from people I know who drive the models without radar that they complain about shadow breaks and bad experience with the sensors for parking and distance.
So I am prepared to cancel even. Paying this much for a car and getting a subpar sensors is just crazy. At the least I read hw4 with new cameras might solve a few issues I mention so I really want to get the new sensors (cameras and whatnot).

Reactions: Deaf Paul
Still surprised that no one has gotten into a HW4 S and seen what the computer looks like and if it does or doesn't have radar. Maybe since Y's and 3's are coming out now, it will get into the hands of a curious person that wants to dig in and see. There is still so much speculation on what it is and what it isn't that it would be nice to see some real solid evidence (pics) of what are in these cars.

Reactions: vampyren
Still surprised that no one has gotten into a HW4 S and seen what the computer looks like and if it does or doesn't have radar. Maybe since Y's and 3's are coming out now, it will get into the hands of a curious person that wants to dig in and see. There is still so much speculation on what it is and what it isn't that it would be nice to see some real solid evidence (pics) of what are in these cars.
Exactly. Specially since many have received their model S&X you would think there would be much more hard proof about what the hardware actually entails.

Exactly. Specially since many have received their model S&X you would think there would be much more hard proof about what the hardware actually entails.
Whether or not there is HD radar in HW4 as some have reported, it's not being used yet. Your new S will definitely not have ultrasonic sensors for the Park Assist feature, and vision-based Park Assist isn't available yet on HW4 cars.

You'll never know when hardware changes are coming, since Tesla doesn't announce them ahead of time, and Tesla has yet to announce HW4 even though it's been in production for a couple of months. If you're going to hold out for certain features, you might be waiting a long time, and prices could go up in the meantime.

Whether or not there is HD radar in HW4 as some have reported, it's not being used yet. Your new S will definitely not have ultrasonic sensors for the Park Assist feature, and vision-based Park Assist isn't available yet on HW4 cars.

You'll never know when hardware changes are coming, since Tesla doesn't announce them ahead of time, and Tesla has yet to announce HW4 even though it's been in production for a couple of months. If you're going to hold out for certain features, you might be waiting a long time, and prices could go up in the meantime.
I just found this video which gives me allot of hope :)
Basically if i have the hardware 4 i now think i could add the additional hardware afterwards. I mean not me but tesla. The important part is the hardware which needs all the ports and space. So now I'm more relaxed receiving my model S :)

Still searching on teardown for cameras:)

Ps. It's not really certain feature but just features that must work. To me tesla made the mistake removing the radar and now they are adding it back plus better cameras.

I saw the car that is allocated for me today and can confirm the cameras have the red tint on them so now i'm much more calm :D Also service person confirmed again its HW4.

Now the sad part is i already found 3-4 delivery problems. The plastic around both back doors are loose (nothing major but WTF did they not see this themselves and fixed it). Also 2 scratches on the pain and 1 on the plastic thing on the door where it says "Tesla". And these i found just 5min going around the car :(
Hope there are not bigger issues .....

I don't understand how they seem to be going backwards with some features. Back when I had a 2016 Model S with AP1, this was extremely accurate. Nothing jumping and it would show correct distance down to a few inches/cms
Save a few bucks on the cost of the customer getting f****d without hardware that actually is needed.

The vision thing is very bad, and not to any help when parking.

No USS, the car screaming ”STOP” and the car still only half way in the garage.
I had to use my son as the parking distance system the other day to safely park the car in my garage.
IMG_5262.jpeg

I’m thinking that a person that would do like Tesla did with the USS removal to save money long (increase profit) before the vision is working which we know will not in some cases and sacrifice the customer at the same time would be refered to as a psychopath.

Yepp, pretty lousy really. I start the car and it says camera is blocked due to moisture and when parking the accuracy is crap.
For a car at this price they are stupid to skip the censors. No camera can replace the radar.
I'm pretty sure Tesla park assistance relied on USS sensors before they were eliminated, not radar? Whether cameras can effectively replace USS for park assist remains to be seen from what I've read - they've made some progress but...

I'm pretty sure Tesla park assistance relied on USS sensors before they were eliminated, not radar? Whether cameras can effectively replace USS for park assist remains to be seen from what I've read - they've made some progress but...
Yes, radar can not be used but I’m sure @vampyren did mean USS.
Most certainly the minimum detection distance for the radar is too high, and the resolution is also to low.
To measure distance of 30cm with USS, ypu need to measure time in ms. That is doable with a computer with relatively low clock frequency.
For the radar, 1Ghz gices a resolution about 30cm, and the shortest distance to measure can not be shorter than the lengt of the pulse, so min distance probably mych more than 30cm. Maybe 5-10m ?

As seen from my picture above, rain only render the picture unusable.
Vinter time, the cameras often is first degraded vision by moisture, gravel, dirt an on top of that snow.
To park my M3P in the garage I had to thrust the USS any given day wintertime, as the cameras was out of practical service.

I already have issues parking my MSP in the garage, as there is no USS to thrust and the ”Tesla vision” sucks screaming before I have the car even half way in the garage.
Its a double garage but to host two cars I need to back it in and as the MS is one foot longer than the 3 I would need better help, to not crush the back or get the garage door hit the front when moving down.

They might be able to make the daytime vision better in optimum cases but when the cameras is blocked from most/dirt/snow, then I am f*****d by this cheap s****y solution.

Sorry for the hard expression, but its how it is, feels and Im said to say no software will make cameras look trough dirt and snow.

To be honest I don't know what is in the sensors and I should not care, it just needs to work. Hell a cheap ass car works then Tesla. It's also pissing me off.
Whenever I go close to something I see the wobbly lines around the car that moves around like crazy (the distance line to surrounding).
It's so stupid that they removed the sensors. I wish the lawmakers could force Tesla to add regular sensors again.
As it is now I can't trust what it shows on the screen.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS