Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we ever going to get ChadeMO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
Here in Kansas City there aren't really any superchargers in a reasonable driving distance (closest is 20 miles north of the city and I live in the southern Suburbs) but there are probably a dozen or so fast DC chargers around with the ChadeMO plug. It's annoying that every other EV is able to take advantage of them but model 3s can't.

It's annoying that every other EV is able to take advantage of them but model 3s can't.
In the US, the Leaf is really the only somewhat popular EV that can use Chademo. Neither the Bolt nor the i3 support it, nor do the new models coming to the market soon (I-Pace, EQC and E-Tron).

Personally I'd be more interested in CCS, which I expect will quickly eclipse Chademo in the US (mostly due to Electrify America).

In the US, the Leaf is really the only somewhat popular EV that can use Chademo. Neither the Bolt nor the i3 support it, nor do the new models coming to the market soon (I-Pace, EQC and E-Tron).

Personally I'd be more interested in CCS, which I expect will quickly eclipse Chademo in the US (mostly due to Electrify America).
Model S/X and BMWs have adapters at least.

All of the new generic L3 chargers around here have Chademo and CCS plugs (though I think you can only use one at a time). So many have popped up in great locations, most are even free. It would be a no brainer for me to pick up the adapter for my Model 3. Definitely the #1 thing on my list for this otherwise amazing car.

Didn't know that there is a Chademo adapter for the i3. How much does it cost?

I think I wouldn't buy the Tesla adapter even if it did work with the Model 3, because it's $450 and on top of that most public Chademo chargers are super expensive. But then, I live in an area that has plenty of superchargers ...
I believe there is, but that was based on seeing "previous cars charging here" on the chadeMo chargers. I may be wrong.

Had an i3 before my Tesla, CCS Level 3. Never saw a Chademo adapter to CCS. There are quite a few level 3 stations with both CCS and Chademo, so you'll see all types of cars.

German cars, like the BMW i3, must have CHAdeMO in Japan (and the i3 does... it’s not an adaptor).

Cars sold in China must have GB/T (two separate plugs for AC and DC), and in the future, China and maybe Japan will migrate together to HPC (up to 900kW).

You won’t have to worry about CCS in the Far East.

Reactions: vdiv and GSP
The Chademo adapter for the M3 has been "in the works" for so long that I question whether it's simply a matter of a software update. Perhaps there's so many inter-dependencies that the s/w update is very complex. That's counter-intuitive given that the adapter for the S and X exists, but it's hard for me to understand why it would take so long if it was a relatively straightforward s/w update.

given the space in the charging area to allow for different standards, i wonder if Tesla may choose to just integrate Chademo into the car for Japan. They already include the adapter for the S and X there, so for the 3 instead of including the adapter they could just integrate the plug into the car.

If they do this it could lower the possibility for such an adapter for the 3 for the US, though they could choose to enable it to allow those that want it to get it since Chademo is not needed by everyone here in NA, though the need may be greater in EU and it is more mandatory in Japan.

Of course they could continue to go down the adapter route to keep things simple, but i wonder if an adapter could be made to support >50kW...

German cars, like the BMW i3, must have CHAdeMO in Japan (and the i3 does... it’s not an adaptor).
Yep, and even the Japanese market VW e-Golf does. I saw it at Tokyo Motor Show in 2017, unlike the US models, the J1772 inlet is under the VW logo in the nose and the CHAdeMO inlet is on the rear fender.

Pics under Charging at e-Golf | ハッチバック | フォルクスワーゲン公式. So, just like the BMW i3, VW had to support 3 DC FC plugs: Combo1. Combo2 and CHAdeMO.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
We are a year or two from trading in the Leaf for a Tesla Model 3 or preferably Y. But two things would keep us out of the Tesla ring at this point.

No Chademo (as Chademo has much better coverage here than Tesla Supercharger)

If Elon is still allowed access to Twitter as eventually that will bring Tesla to its knees and the Supercharger network will be gone. Then I would have an orphan car etc. Sucky situation.

Tesla responded to my email yesterday and said that they are working on an update that will allow ChadeMO.

CCN

They claim to have more charging stations than any other U.S. city.

This page has a list of the free ones if you want it for free: Find a Charging Station | KCP&L Clean Charge Network

There are plenty here, but they are slow chargers, except for ChaDemo. Many of our chargers are free event, but 20 miles an hour doesn't help so much.
Are you not able to charge at home? You shouldn't need a supercharger around town. Just use some of the many J1172 chargers. They are all over the place. I live in KC area and I never use the local superchargers. I don't even use the J1772 chargers. Though I can charge at home.

I charge at home most of the time and it's not an issue. Sometimes though it would be quite helpful. I work in Topeka a few days a week. Yesterday I woke up to a partially charged car because I didn't plug in correctly. I got there and back with 10 miles to spare but I had plans last night so I only had another hour to charge on 14-50 before heading back out. I had enough range, but it would have been nice to pull into a supercharger for 20 minutes and grab another 100 miles.

Tesla responded to my email yesterday and said that they are working on an update that will allow ChadeMO.

There are plenty here, but they are slow chargers, except for ChaDemo. Many of our chargers are free event, but 20 miles an hour doesn't help so much.

I charge at home most of the time and it's not an issue. Sometimes though it would be quite helpful. I work in Topeka a few days a week. Yesterday I woke up to a partially charged car because I didn't plug in correctly. I got there and back with 10 miles to spare but I had plans last night so I only had another hour to charge on 14-50 before heading back out. I had enough range, but it would have been nice to pull into a supercharger for 20 minutes and grab another 100 miles.

Fair enough. It would be nice if they add a supercharger on the south side, probably on the Kansas side somewhere. I'm kind of surprised they added a supercharger up north instead of in the Overland Park area.