Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you OK with AutoPilot jail?

Do you want to have AP jail on your car?

• Yes

Votes: 215 76.8%
  • No

Votes: 65 23.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never been put in jail, and I think the nag jail is needed. But I can see myself hitting 90 while trying to pass someone and hitting a gap (heck, there are some roads with 85 mph limits around here). It would be nice if it was a 10 minute time out or something, rather than needing to exit, pull over, switch to park, then resume.
Just disengage autopilot before making the pass.

I wouldn't mind as much if it (a) actually engaged only when the driver was being unsafe, and (b) was easy enough to get rid of.

The problem, for one, is that Autopilot is complete *sugar* at detecting when your hands are actually *on* the wheel. And if it starts to miss you, yanking the wheel is as often as not likely to disengage it completely.

It doesn't help that they neutered it by setting the detection period unreasonably low a few months ago. Seems like it's only 10 or 20 seconds now.

But you can also get into Autopilot nanny mode WITHOUT any warnings whatsoever. It happens to me all the time when passing.

Pulling over to power cycle the car is definitely less safe than whatever this mode is trying to prevent. Whoever came up with this thing should be shown the door.

I've had my model S for 18 16 months and no AP jail. Plenty of nags...when my hand(s) are on the wheel. My only complaint is that the AP steering wheel input required to prevent/stop nags is a little to heavy. Overall I have been impressed by the evolution of the AP over the past 16 months. When first purchased...I rarely used AP due to it's glitchy nature. Now...I probably use AP 30% of the time while driving and I have come to "trust" it to a certain degree. However....just when I am getting to the point where I really think we're not far away from autonomy...it does something stupid to remind me how far it has to go.

Reactions: Ulmo
I went into jail the first time yesterday. It was on this S85 loaner car though. It doesn't really flash at you in the same way as the 3 so you have to constantly look for the nag message to avoid it beeping at you, a little msg comes up on the speedometer screen and then it beeps at you and your get a strike. My hands were on the wheel the whole time too... Bugger! So it was really annoying to have to drive another 30 miles without autopilot (which has only been working at night already due to the new crappy reflective paint it can't pickup durring the daytime).

I didn't mind the idea so much on the 3 where they make it obvious it is not detecting your hands, it's super annoying on the S.

I asked service at Tesla how does it know that my hands are on the wheel; they said I had to squeeze the wheel periodically.

I've seen this comment so many times. AFAIK, there are no sensors in the steering wheel that informs the car it is being 'squeezed'. What the car recognizes is torque against the wheel, which can be applied by pulling or pushing anywhere on the wheel. It doesn't have to be very strong, in fact I've found the mere weight of my arms on either or both sides (if turning) is enough.

Reactions: Futuresystem
My only complaint is that it does not sense the direct pressure of my hands on the wheel, only failure to exercise rotational resistance. I can be driving "hands on" and have the alert go off. It requires that it sense resistance to rotation caused by curves in the road as the car follows along. Interestingly enough, on a straight road I tried to demonstrate the alert to a friend and it would not go off, even with hands not on the wheel for several seconds. Go figure.

I think its intentional, since the weight of a foot from an asleep person would be easy to confuse with an alert person.

Use the right scroll wheel to adjust the speed when AP has it wrong, and use the pedal to override it when it phantom brakes, goes to slowly in a turn ect.

I have started to adjust the volume to pacify the nag. First Nag turn the scroll wheel up one notch. Next one turn it down one, repeat as necessary. This turns it off every time instead of 1->5 quick tugs to try to get it to register my torque on the wheel. I have accidentally turned AP off by turning the wheel too hard a time or two.

I have started to adjust the volume to pacify the nag. First Nag turn the scroll wheel up one notch. Next one turn it down one, repeat as necessary. This turns it off every time instead of 1->5 quick tugs to try to get it to register my torque on the wheel. I have accidentally turned AP off by turning the wheel too hard a time or two.

Agree, this my my favorite method to satisfy the AP nags. I will either adjust the volume or speed up and down by a click.

I've seen this comment so many times. AFAIK, there are no sensors in the steering wheel that informs the car it is being 'squeezed'. What the car recognizes is torque against the wheel, which can be applied by pulling or pushing anywhere on the wheel. It doesn't have to be very strong, in fact I've found the mere weight of my arms on either or both sides (if turning) is enough.

You're clearly quoting this post: Are you OK with AutoPilot jail?
But for some reason you changed it so it looks like it's quoted from one of my posts?

I think jail is appropriate for the conditions it is setting it. I am amazed at how many people feel that "only 10 mph" above the speed limit is ok. And as others have stated there are several ways to prevent the jail from happening of which disabling autopilot is the easiest way.

My only complaint about jail is the notification to keep hands on the wheel is to easy to miss if you are truly watching traffic. I have been put in jail a few times due to my not noticing the warning as it is fairly easy to not notice. I typically have my hands on the wheel but not with enough force for it to know. I have driven well over a million miles and have gotten used to using light pressure on the steering wheel so I know sooner there is a roadway problem form the wheel moving slightly when I am not expecting it to move. The problem is that pressure is not enough for the autopilot to recognize my hand is actually on the wheel. I also watch the roadway way more than stuff internal to the car so I wish there was an audible notification.

My experiences with AP is very mixed. It is not reliable enough even with the latest updates to trust it yet it is sensitive enough to accidentally turn off the AP feature while driving, It would be nice if the wheel actually detected hands on the wheel instead of needing to detect torq. I feel weird to place torq in the opposite direction of curving just so the nag will go away. Sometimes it feels really different while I am driving, my mind get confused about whether the AP is in charge or if I am actually doing the driving. That's because driving is an automatic experience for me and takes very little effort usually. Sometimes it feels like AP driving is more effort just to make sure I am not nagged or to make sure I did not accidentally take the control away from AP as well as saving from stupid mistakes the AP makes. One of my friends named his Tesla "dummy" because he thinks the AP has a long way to go before being really smart. There is some learning curve with how much force to use to keep the car happy. In the beginning, I overshot and undershot. I am better now at paying attention to the nag satisfying it. I think the adaptive cruise control aspect is far more useful in reducing the work of driving until the AP improves more.

The problem, for one, is that Autopilot is complete *sugar* at detecting when your hands are actually *on* the wheel. And if it starts to miss you, yanking the wheel is as often as not likely to disengage it completely.

You misunderstand what autopilot is detecting. Autopilot looks for a torque on the steering wheel. It has no "Hand detection", just torque detection.

It doesn't help that they neutered it by setting the detection period unreasonably low a few months ago. Seems like it's only 10 or 20 seconds now.

If Autopilot is nagging you every 10 second, you are traveling at 180mph. Seems a bit fast to me.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte
My only problem with AP jail is my frantic squeezing, banging, shaking, and shoving of the wheel doesn't register and always kick off the nag.

Internal camera needs image recognition for my middle finger so I can tell it I am alert and aware.

You can simply change the speed or the volume and that will register. Additionally, I used to try to move the wheel a little bit, or squeeze the wheel. Now I just rest my hand on the bottom of the wheel and I never get "nagged".

As for the original question. AP Jail is a very good thing imho

Agree, it’s a good thing, and I feel that it’s essential that the vehicle be stopped and placed into park (or a similar action) to release from “jail”!
What if someone, over tired, or drunk or drugged perhaps, had a few microsleeps, then a longer sleep after continuing to use the autopilot.
By forcing someone who has been locked out to actually stop, it forces people to rethink their actions or perhaps pull over completely. I have no problem with it as it is.
The only time I was ever in “jail” was when I intentionally did it to see how far I could push the boundaries.