Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you paying for premium connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 30 day Premium Trial ended today. Was thinking to do something else like wifi, tethering, bluetooth, etc.

After my Trial ended, and I couldn't view live cameras, took me about 5 minutes to decide to subscribe to the $99 annual. It's also nice to be able to use Apple Music and Spotify without having to fumble around with my phone.

Reactions: Electroman
My free year ended July 2022 so I've been w/o since. While it's not a lot of money it does't seem to offer much. I don't play games, generally didn't use live view as felt map was too busy, and I preferred streaming XM from my phone. Also I drive almost exclusively around town as I personally don't feel my MY or any EV is good road trip vehicle.

Reactions: h2ofun
My free year ended July 2022 so I've been w/o since. While it's not a lot of money it does't seem to offer much. I don't play games, generally didn't use live view as felt map was too busy, and I preferred streaming XM from my phone. Also I drive almost exclusively around town as I personally don't feel my MY or any EV is good road trip vehicle.
IMO, my Model Y is a great road trip car, much better than the BMW I traded in for it. After nine hours behind the wheel in the Y I am still pretty fresh, nine hours in the BMW would leave me feeling beat up and very fatigued. I have horrible back and neck problems, am very pleased with the comfort of the seats.

How do you do this exactly please? Is it by positing the car to your phone hotspot? And hot troublesome is this? Do you need to repair every time or do they remember each other? Suppose I’ll just have to wait another 3 weeks to find out 😩
Yes hotspot on the phone, connect to the phone wifi.

Just remember that you do not get topographical map (Only basic map) and you do not get live traffic data with this solution.

You can stream music and use basic navigation though.

I set up tethering but the car seems to behave better with the cellular connection. Seems like a pretty small price to pay and the software visualizations are certainly cool.
When looking at what the car cost, it is a very low price.

I even pay ~$15 a month here, but still worth it to avoid the hazzle of having to do tethering every time i get into the car.

Reactions: KevinT3141
IMO ...$100/yr is a small price to pay for the convenience that I get. I like the colored GPS screen, I THINK it redirects me to avoid congested/accident routes much faster. I am pretty sure there are other benefits that I don't use/or not aware of.
Agree, can’t believe anyone driving a Tesla is trying to save $10 a month on connectivity. REALLY?

With that 33 cents a day you’re saving you can buy… well… pretty much nothing.

I found a 33 cent stamp, but the seller wants $2.49 for it.

IMG_1894.jpeg

Last edited:
IMO ...$100/yr is a small price to pay for the convenience that I get. I like the colored GPS screen, I THINK it redirects me to avoid congested/accident routes much faster. I am pretty sure there are other benefits that I don't use/or not aware of.
when i rented a tesla i noticed it didnt have premium connectivity and did not seem to show the traffic lights.. i know the traffic lights where added not too long ago but is that a premium connectivity feature only?

when i rented a tesla i noticed it didnt have premium connectivity and did not seem to show the traffic lights.. i know the traffic lights where added not too long ago but is that a premium connectivity feature only?
Not sure if is part of Premium Connectivity but I cannot understand why Tesla doesn't include it on all rental cars. You want someone, who may be brand new to Tesla and EVs, to have the best experience with a rental and you don't have that when Premium Connectivity is not included. Similar to how satellite radio is turned on for all rental cars. They want you to sample it and hopefully subscribe with your own car.