Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you paying for premium connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if is part of Premium Connectivity but I cannot understand why Tesla doesn't include it on all rental cars. You want someone, who may be brand new to Tesla and EVs, to have the best experience with a rental and you don't have that when Premium Connectivity is not included. Similar to how satellite radio is turned on for all rental cars. They want you to sample it and hopefully subscribe with your own car.
Why would Hertz care about people having a good experience in their Tesla? They don't even tell you how to charge it. And they are selling much of their fleet....

Reactions: Calliope
We subscribed so we didn't have to add data to our cell phones. As well, during Covid there was a lot of waiting for ages in the car while someone had an appointment, so it was great to have TV available. We can afford the service and the Spotify membership so while I'm annoyed at the extra bills, they aren't a problem. We also keep our Netflix account active because of the car (at the moment we use it more in the car than at home because we are watching things on other services.)

We also like the rerouting in case of an accident blocking the original route. It isn't perfect but it is pretty good. In my own smallish city, I'd say it offers up a better reroute at least 40% of the time. Sometimes I don't notice (I do not NoA or FSDb in the city). Sometimes I disagree with its assessment, preferring to sit on the highway and creep along, somewhat zoned out and letting AP do its thing, to having to add the risk of driving off the highway where other vehicles have more ways to hit me.

I do like the suggestion to subscribe for longer trips, and the reminder that if you don't subscribe to premium connectivity, you don't have to also subscribe to Tidal or Spotify (if you don't already have accounts.) We are a YT Music family users so the Spotify membership is pretty orphaned and useless since it reflects 3 diverse tastes (me, hubby, toddlers) and is all mashed together resulting in confused algorithm recommendations.

We subscribed so we didn't have to add data to our cell phones. As well, during Covid there was a lot of waiting for ages in the car while someone had an appointment, so it was great to have TV available. We can afford the service and the Spotify membership so while I'm annoyed at the extra bills, they aren't a problem. We also keep our Netflix account active because of the car (at the moment we use it more in the car than at home because we are watching things on other services.)

We also like the rerouting in case of an accident blocking the original route. It isn't perfect but it is pretty good. In my own smallish city, I'd say it offers up a better reroute at least 40% of the time. Sometimes I don't notice (I do not NoA or FSDb in the city). Sometimes I disagree with its assessment, preferring to sit on the highway and creep along, somewhat zoned out and letting AP do its thing, to having to add the risk of driving off the highway where other vehicles have more ways to hit me.

I do like the suggestion to subscribe for longer trips, and the reminder that if you don't subscribe to premium connectivity, you don't have to also subscribe to Tidal or Spotify (if you don't already have accounts.) We are a YT Music family users so the Spotify membership is pretty orphaned and useless since it reflects 3 diverse tastes (me, hubby, toddlers) and is all mashed together resulting in confused algorithm recommendations.
Honestly here the rerouting seems dodgy at best.

Have set it to not reroute unless there is a time saving of atleast 15 minutes.

More than once it has suggested i get of the motorway, go through a city centre, because of slow moving traffic on the motorway, i never do this as i know the city is just as congested, and when i drive past the exit it wants me to take it just wants me to stay on the motorway and says that i will now arrive 2 minutes later.

So the whole "Do not reroute if i save less than 15 minutes" is a bit iffy and atleast in the country i live in, it has to be really bad on the motorway to warrant getting of it.

Last edited:
Why would Hertz care about people having a good experience in their Tesla? They don't even tell you how to charge it. And they are selling much of their fleet....
Have you rented a Tesla from Hertz? I have multiple times and they send a flurry of emails out beforehand on how to unlock it, how to charge it, etc.

The point about selling their fleet is meaningless. Tesla should include Premium Connectivity with ALL rental cars...Hertz or others.

That doesn't require premium connectivity. My nav system has rerouted me in those situations......I don't know why it rerouted me (unless/until I look it up later), but it does it.
^That.
Premium connectivity visualizes the traffic, but the traffic data is there no matter what, even with standard connectivity. Rerouting works fine with standard connectivity.

Reactions: Skavatar
So far premium connectivity has mostly been useful to stream Disney+ and Netflix to keep the kids entertained on the road when we are at a SC.

I was under the impression most SCs had wifi now that your car will automatically connect to, meaning you don't need a premium connection to stream while at a SC.
That is correct, but @mylapore meant "SuC" when they said "SC".
SuC: Supercharger
SC: Service Center

More than once it has suggested i get of the motorway, go through a city centre, because of slow moving traffic on the motorway, i never do this as i know the city is just as congested, and when i drive past the exit it wants me to take it just wants me to stay on the motorway and says that i will now arrive 2 minutes later.

So the whole "Do not reroute if i save less than 15 minutes" is a bit iffy and atleast in the country i live in, it has to be really bad on the motorway to warrant getting of it.

My daughter lives on one side of our city, I live just outside the city centre on the other side. If I head home past 2:30 (before Covid it was 3:00 p.m.) I'll hit slowdowns. There's an electronic sign on her side of the city giving me estimated length of time to my exit which will be between 4 minutes (Christmas day in the middle of the day!) and 38 minutes is my personal worst but someone posted a photo of it a few weeks ago showing 59 minutes.

Remember I don't use NoA or FSDb, the car won't make any changes without me initiating them so the NAV is just one input (the sign another, radio traffic reports a third, driving conditions the fourth) in my decision making. (I choose to drive my car rather than have it drive me.) In theory, the time for the driveway-to-driveway trip should be 22 - 24 minutes so I pay attention to the sign and then consult my NAV to see if it wants to reroute me through the city centre, or, if things are really slow, through another province since I live on a border. There are times it reroutes me through the centre, and times it keeps me on the highway. I'm set to 'Do not reroute if I save less than 10 minutes.'.

Even if it does recommend a reroute, I have to get across two bodies of water before I can reroute (otherwise, I have to reroute well out of my way to get to bridges and if rerouting through the other province, crossing a third bridge to get back to my province.) So, while stuck on the highway waiting to get across bodies of water, I have lots of time to decide which route I'll take.

What I get from premium connectivity (to bring my post back on topic) is the use of colour on the map since it does give me a good sense of how bad the trip will be (from red, to deeper red, to deep maroon) and at a glance how bad any alternatives will be. Remember, even without premium connectivity, the car will make rerouting suggestions, you just don't see why it is doing so.

As others have pointed out, using one's phone as a hotspot is a work around and if one is already paying for a decent data plan, not a bad one. (I'm all about 'the pennies' and while people say one shouldn't whine about the price of premium connectivity, the reason I can afford a tesla now is because I've spent 50 years making frugal spending decisions.) My frugality and the cost of cell phone data in my country up until recently, combined with my older mid-range phone makes this option less attractive than the turn-key subscription (which, rumour has it, will get even cheaper in the near future as our country should be getting the option to pay annually.) The subscription also means I do not have to trigger my phone to open a hotspot and connect my car to it, open the mapping software to run every time I get in the car, and turn on voice command for the phone. (I understand I could probably set up an automation for that, but don't bother since with premium connectivity I don't have to think or plan, I get into the car and that part of the tesla just works (or doesn't since there are vast parts of my country, even withing 40km of city centre, with dodgy LTE service.)

That plus (along with the ability to use Tune-in to find local radio stations when on the road, or local radio stations when there is a significant news event - we listened to the Jan 6 riot coverage over DC's NPR station) makes Premium Connectivity an expense I'm happy with.

Even without Premium Connectivity, the tesla's access to live info to calculate routing and travel time is much better than my previous car with an outdated NAV system that didn't give me any accuracy when there was traffic.

The downside with the system is it doesn't take into consideration the driver's profile. This is always subject to change with an OTA although this would likely be a holiday one since it is just a bonus improvement. For me, it is usually consistently roughly 5 minutes shy of my actual time, not due to changes in route traffic but because I don't drive much above the speed limit. I have no idea how much above the speed limit it is figuring the car will travel but yesterday (a holiday and mid day so no traffic whatsoever and a bright sunny day) I texted my friend to give her my arrival time according to the car and then pushed the speed limit 10 - 15% the whole 30 KM highway drive. I was still 3 minutes later than the time originally projected despite there being no confounding factors (and only two traffic lights on the whole route. It seems to me that it should be able to look at the driver profile and since I'm set to Chill and have a history of going near the speed limit and not weaving in and out of traffic, it should know to pad the time estimate a bit compared to the average tesla driver.

Yesterday, in particular, as the car had a much longer drive after I was using it, and it was -9C out, on my way home I was back to my slower driving in order to preserve range for the next drive (and heat was off in both directions, I just used the seat heaters.) The 212km total driving for the day used up 71% of our battery, just in case anyone in interested in why I tend to not speed - winter range hit from winter tires and cold is significant and distances in Canada large and SC locations much fewer than in the US, so that's why I keep our standby charge in winter at 85%, but ran it up to 95% before leaving yesterday. Then again, as I said, I'm frugal, so not speeding is a life-long habit to lower fuel costs and avoid speeding tickets, the lifetime fuel usage on my previous car was 5.2L/100km (46mpg for US folks.) I didn't buy a tesla to save money on gas, I will likely never break even if that was my criteria for purchase.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
Have you rented a Tesla from Hertz? I have multiple times and they send a flurry of emails out beforehand on how to unlock it, how to charge it, etc.

The point about selling their fleet is meaningless. Tesla should include Premium Connectivity with ALL rental cars...Hertz or others.
I have not but have friends that have rented a Tesla and an Ioniq5. With the Tesla, they did get an email that linked to a couple of videos. With the Ioniq5, crickets. Fortunately, they did not have to charge although they did call me and ask how to do it in case they did.

And the point about selling the fleet? Not meaningless at all, especially to those that are anti-EV. It's not that the CARS didn't work, it's that they did not properly support them consistently. But it all gets rolled up into 'EV's suck' by the great unwashed who, for whatever reason, are against EV's.

And I DO agree with your point that Premium Connectivity SHOULD be included, BTW. My original point, badly made, was that this is an extra expense for Hertz who just didn't really understand that they need to treat EV's a little differently from ICE.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I got used to premium connectivity with my old S60, so I don't mind paying $100/year for it with the new Y LR. I always use satellite view for my navigation map, since it is rather pretty where I live (and elsewhere at times*). I occasionally stream music, so nice to have for that. But I really appreciate the red/orange traffic indicator when traveling in unfamiliar cities on my many road trips.

Day before yesterday we hit a traffic jam on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix (couple of accidents, one with a medical examiner, and southbound had a huge detour with miles long stopped traffic). We really appreciated the ability to see and anticipate where the stop and go and slow and go sections were.

I also REALLY like the display of stop signs and stoplights that appeared on the map in my car, with a software update some weeks ago. Very helpful when navigating unfamiliar routes. I'm not sure that it requires premium connectivity — perhaps someone without it could say — but it sure is helpful when determining where the next turn will be!

* Satellite view of Banff from a road trip in May last year:
Banff region satellite view 20230511_055035729_HDR.jpg

I’m going to have to try this “tune-in” ppl keep mentioning!
It's well worth it.

I believe the car has a DAB+ tuner, but to be honest i havent used it even once or even set up a channel list, i just have a few streams on tune-in i cycle between (Usually i change channel to avoid advertisement blocks, i have developed a allergy to radio commercials, i really feel they talk down to the listener)

One more thing, if you don't have premium connectivity subscription, you won't be able to have real time sentry mode live camera. That means you still can turn on sentry mode but you can't see the live image from camera, even if your vehicle is on Wi-Fi. I think that's the only thing would make me to pay for the service if I care/need this feature. All other features can be substituted by connecting my phone's hotspot or home Wi-Fi.