Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you still on the original battery pack with your 2012-2015 Model S?

Are you still on the original battery pack with your 2012-2015 Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I don't have any extra data unfortunately.
Yes, the car started with more range than spec. I've checked that I am looking at rated range, not ideal. Unlike most others, my predicted (EPA) range and my actual range are spot-on exact in good weather. I've verified that the battery sticker identifies the battery as a 70. (I thought maybe they had stopped making 70s at that point and I got a 85. Nope.) I've driven it down to 5% and it didn't shut down. The numbers are consistent through the years. It actually makes me nervous, as in "too good to be true". My warranty runs out this month, so I hope I didn't jinx it by talking about it. :)
Based on your numbers I would guess you somehow got a 75kWh battery by mistake. That's the only thing that seems possible to me.
For a while, I think they were selling 70s with 75 kWh batteries that could be unlocked to a 75 for a price.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
Glad you asked this question. We rarely hear from those who have no problems - the silent majority.
Mine is a January 2013 85 with 79,000 miles, 220 miles range. Rarely supercharged, normally charge to 75%. Got it used with 18,000 miles in 2016 @ 248 miles range. Had a big reduction in range around battery gate (2019) to ~~225 miles, supercharging slowed down too.

2013 S85 delivered March 2013. High capacity pack replaced under warrant very early on - some time in 2013 as I recall - and nicely handled by Tesla at the time - they notified me that they were seeing issues in the logs and wanted to do a swap. Still have the car, 135K miles, range is down from 265 to around 220.

Reactions: pilotSteve
12/12 built P85, 3rd owner, battery replaced under warranty in 2018 with a new one. Should I keep the car?

100% charging is 238ish miles.
How much did you pay for it and how much could you get for it? In my case, I have a 2015 85D with over 241,000 miles. I purchased a new 85 S LR two weeks ago and transferred the FUSC. Tesla offered me $2,800 and Carvana offered me $4,000. I'm keeping it because it runs perfectly and now I don't have to take my mountain bike out of my car between rides. I just leave it in that one and keep the new car clean.

How much did you pay for it and how much could you get for it? In my case, I have a 2015 85D with over 241,000 miles. I purchased a new 85 S LR two weeks ago and transferred the FUSC. Tesla offered me $2,800 and Carvana offered me $4,000. I'm keeping it because it runs perfectly a litand now I don't have to take my mountain bike out of my car between rides. I just leave it in that one and keep the new car clean.
I bought it about 7 years ago, so that is kinda irrelevant at this point. I'm more concerned with how likely the car is to fail vs keep running. I thought it would be solid with new battery and rear drive unit, but am currently having a problem and now i see so many nightmare stories when searching error messages.

I bought it about 7 years ago, so that is kinda irrelevant at this point. I'm more concerned with how likely the car is to fail vs keep running. I thought it would be solid with new battery and rear drive unit, but am currently having a problem and now i see so many nightmare stories when searching error messages.
The real question is, how much could you get for it? How many miles does it have?

My point is that if you could get no more fore it than I was quoted for mine, you might as well keep it.

The real question is, how much could you get for it? How many miles does it have?

My point is that if you could get no more fore it than I was quoted for mine, you might as well keep it.
For sure. I think you could get a lot more for yours than what a simple trade in quote is and you are probably better off selling it now for that higher price before something major goes wrong. Mine is currently dead and I'm probably looking a drive unit replacement out of warrantty. This will be its 3rd one in 100k miles. There's clearly a defect in the design and as a result I really don't think we should be paying for them, but what recourse do I have?

12/12 built P85, 3rd owner, battery replaced under warranty in 2018 with a new one. Should I keep the car?

100% charging is 238ish miles.

One might naturally "think" a new pack in 18 (5 years old) would be okay for the next 5ish years. But there are a lot of variables and nearly no visibility to the real reliability stats of the entire fleet and various revisions.

Higher moisture exposure situations likely shorten longevity. You are in SoCal but if near foggy salty ocean air, park outside with moisture condensation, car wash everyday and dump water on top of front battery pack (near fuse and front hump) then maybe lower longevity.

Recently seen a 2022 manufactured new MS pack that has been rebuilt once. Very latest new packs might be dealing with obsolete lower volume manufacturing problems. Don't really know.

In general, Tesla battery pack is not complex design wise. However, it is numerically complex component wise. 14k+ ultrasonic welds to 7k+ cells is such numerical complexity susceptible to any manufacturing assembly variation.

But out of warranty with $15k-$22k battery replacement cost means car is a battery failure away from becoming worth $5-$10k. Will always be a gamble. Failed HV battery out of warranty battery cars will probably be close to $5k towards end of 24 with 2016 cars coming off warranty and adding to the HV battery failure noise. HV battery failure noises are really low on in warranty cars for obvious reasons.. But out of warranty repair price shock prompt a lot of complaints and postings. Impact to out of warranty MS price seems quite significant and rapidly heading downwards. Probably even stunting some new Tesla sales too as noise gets louder.

For sure. I think you could get a lot more for yours than what a simple trade in quote is and you are probably better off selling it now for that higher price before something major goes wrong. Mine is currently dead and I'm probably looking a drive unit replacement out of warrantty. This will be its 3rd one in 100k miles. There's clearly a defect in the design and as a result I really don't think we should be paying for them, but what recourse do I have?

Was going to mention the potential double whammy $7k+ LDU failure replacement beyond the battery but sounds like you already know.

=====

Beyond battery and LDU, seems like other failures are more palatable at say < $2k each. Various HV device failures (battery heater, cabin heater, AC, DCDC) likely from windshield water run off dump are probably $1k - $2k.

One risk with older out of warranty cars and unlimited supercharging is to think you can travel long distance for low cost based on unlimited super charging. Just about ANY of the aging HV component failure from long term water+electricity don't mix issues = a dead car and absolutely no prior warning. But if not HV battery, at least its towing to SC near breakdown location + $2kish repair. But vacation is probably ruined.

More locally used car, low moisture locale and car use, having ~$10k HV battery rebuilder nearby, and hoping Tesla's recently revised rotor coolant delete LDU surviving longer can probably provide more confidence to keep. For me personally in Seattle, I don't drive in rain (a lot of the winter and need to check weather report always haha) have DIY knowledge on fixing battery, LDU, HV components, might be worth taking the risk. But probably no long distance road trips even if I recondition the battery (open+refurb) have knowhow+tools to get some failed HV system car running. Aging battery cell shorts are unfixable without complex battery rebuild + reconfiguration.

Anyway, a lot of failure mechanisms on older MSs to consider. Probably no single right answer.

Last edited:
2013 12/13 build date S85 with 162,223 miles. 3rd owner, lemon branded title after the first owner. Bought it the end of July this year (2023) with 151,000 miles on it. Original battery, 222 miles at 100%. Drive it around 140 miles every day to/from work. Just had the front end all apart due to hitting a deer.

I have a 2013 85 with 73,503 miles that has been supercharged 33% since I bought one year ago. This last Friday my Tesla app wouldn't connect to the car and when I got in the car the lights turned on but screens were black (I just updated to MCU 2 a few months ago). When I pressed on the brake pedal I would hear the compressor turn on but couldn't put into gear. Tesla Service Center told my battery had an internal fault and that it needs to be replaced with a re-manufactured battery at a cost to me of $16,511.39. The car never gave me any error messages and was driving and charging perfectly fine before that. When I charged to 100% my mileage was 255, only down 10 miles from 265 at new so I thought it would last a lot longer. I got the car towed to the service center yesterday 😭

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and kavyboy
I have a 2013 85 with 73,503 miles that has been supercharged 33% since I bought one year ago. This last Friday my Tesla app wouldn't connect to the car and when I got in the car the lights turned on but screens were black (I just updated to MCU 2 a few months ago). When I pressed on the brake pedal I would hear the compressor turn on but couldn't put into gear. Tesla Service Center told my battery had an internal fault and that it needs to be replaced with a re-manufactured battery at a cost to me of $16,511.39. The car never gave me any error messages and was driving and charging perfectly fine before that. When I charged to 100% my mileage was 255, only down 10 miles from 265 at new so I thought it would last a lot longer. I got the car towed to the service center yesterday 😭
Sorry for the trouble. If you plan on keeping the car a long time, ask them about a NEW battery. A 're-manufactured' battery is just a used battery that recently failed in someone else's car and we have low confidence that Tesla does anything but fix the acute problem. When mine failed in September, there was a corroded capacitor on one of the BMB boards but on closer inspection, 4 additional modules had similar corrosion starting that would have failed in the near future. Is Tesla taking the time to do a detailed inspection of every module when they refurbish a pack? I don't think so...

• Informative
Reactions: UrsS and maximizese