Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you using a disconnect for your Wall charger ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not. I think it depends on what code requires for the size of the circuit but I am not 100% on that. I have a 60 amp circuit, which charges my car at 48amps. I believe if its larger than 60 amps it might require a disconnect in some places.

Just wondering if people generally get a disconnect for a wall charger.
Code probably varies across US. In case anyone has experience in NW suburbs of Chicago I...

Howdy!

I have posted about this numerous times on this forum (search google for "site:teslamotorsclub.com eprosenx disconnect"). Article 625.43 is the relative code section. I have posted the actual code snippets several times.

Basically unless you have OVER a 60a circuit (a 60a circuit itself is fine), OR you are installing something more than 150 volts to ground (which unless you are doing a 277v feed you are not - a 240v circuit in a residence or 208v in commercial is only 120v to ground) then this provision DOES NOT apply.

When it does apply, my reading of it is that the disconnect just needs to be "readily accessible" and that you can lock it in the off position. Generally a few dollar handle cover on the breaker itself meets these requirements even if the breaker is not in line of sight of the EVSE (there is no requirement for line of sight or a specific distance).

Of course local jurisdictions could have modifications however they like. I am quoting 2017 NEC. Your state or local government might modify that...

I personally think disconnects are ugly and totally un-necessary. You just don't see them here in Portland/Oregon at all. None of the public chargers have them and their power sources are all panels locked up inside... It is not like an HVAC unit that technicians are in and out of constantly...

I think proximity to the main panel is a factor in whether a cutoff is required, too.

There is no provision in the code that states this. All that it says is “Readily Accessible” and when looking at definitions for that it says you can’t have to use a ladder, etc...

So even if you install the Wall Connector in the garage and the breaker panel is in the basement I don’t think this a problem. Lock off ability is common for dishwashers and wall heaters in residences. There is not a requirement for these to be in line of sight...

Again though, it may all come down to the local municipality and what a given inspector wants.

My town has adopted: "National Electric Code, 2017 Edition"

Aside code, does it seem like a good idea? or at least a switch?
i.e. Leviton 60 Amp 600 Volt Industrial Grade Double Pole Single Phase AC Manual Motor Controller Toggle Switch - Black-MS602-FW - The Home Depot

Sure, if you want to do it there's no reason not to (and a bunch of mostly convenience reasons to do it). People are just saying there's probably no hard and fast requirement. If it were me, I'd probably put in a disconnect just so I could turn the thing off easily if I wanted to open it up or something.

No, the breaker is about 20 cm away. Actually, a switch is a kind of silly rule because in the unlikely event the car catches on fire, switching the breaker off won't help, and if the wall charger has an issue, it means the breaker isn't doing it's job.

Last edited:
Reactions: eprosenx
No, the breaker is about 20 cm away. Actually, a switch is a kind of silly rule because in the unlikely event the car catches on fire, switching the breaker off won't help, and if the wall charger has an issue, it means the breaker isn't doing it's job.

Having a way to disconnect in an emergency is only one of the reasons these are required. The ability to lock out the circuit is another. It is common in industrial settings to have a requirement that one or more padlocks be in place on a lockable disconnect with the key(s) in the possession of appropriate personnel before any work can be done on a machine connected to that disconnect. This makes a lot of sense in an industrial setting but my garage is not an industrial setting and it does seem a little silly there but it is in the code and had it installed. Before leaving for the summer I flipped it off (thus assuring myself that the HPWC won't burst into flames while we're gone) but I didn't lock it.

I had an electrician install my Wall Connector. I asked him to install a 100 amp breaker and the wiring to support it, as I'm hoping to add another Tesla to the household "soon". He did put in a disconnect, stating that it would make it easier to add the second charger.

He also did the actual installation of the Wall Connector itself. After he read the Wall Connector manual, he said that he didn't need to install a GFI breaker, as the Wall Connector itself acted as a GFI.

Over 60A it is not an option. It is required by the NEC. But it will make installation of a second HPWC easier both because the lugs will be convenient and because he can turn it off when he connects to them.
Thanks for that. Not being a sparky, I didn't understand what he was talking about, but I trust both him and his company completely. I've used his company for electrician services for 25 years. Not the cheapest in the business, but I'll pay for the best... every time.

Even though I told him he didn't need to stay, he insisted on making sure the car would actually charge. I told him that the computer in the HPWC would diagnose any issues, and the green light on the face of it meant everything was fine. He waited 20 extra minutes at no charge for my wife to get home with the car so he could make sure that it charged OK.

I'll point out again that
1)No disconnect is required by the NEC anywhere for a 60 amp or smaller installation but your local jurisdiction may require one
2)It isn't just a disconnect that is required. It is a lockable disconnect. Whether a circuit breaker is deemed lockable or not is between you and the inspecting authority.