Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are YouTubers only posting successful FSD experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!

New here. Hope to engage with all of you regarding FSD and all other things Tesla.
My model 3 just recently received FSD Beta 10.3.1! Super excited! I went for 3 quick rides.
Every turn failed. First was a 4-way stop, the second was a right turn, and the third was a left turn on a green arrow. All failed. FSD cancelled on me.
I've watched many YouTube videos and most of the time the cars I watch have been driving flawlessly. I am wondering if my car will eventually make a turn!
Anyway. I love FSD and love testing it. I am behind it 100% I just want to know if all of you are experiencing more fails than successes.

Thanks!
GC

Not sure what geographic area you’re in BUT…I live in Southern Ca/Orange County and MUCH of the time I can drive from A-B with stops, left and right turns, without intervention.

I’m not saying it’s perfect by any stretch

and am not saying it doesn’t get it wrong still some of the time. It does.

What I AM saying is..often…quite often…more On then Off…it’s getting it right…by itself and I’m simply along for the figurative ride.

That is NOT to say that it’s fast enough/decisive enough in certain situations (such as that with right turns on a red and where it’s supposed to “creep,”) or that it’s smooth all the time or that braking is perfection, always.

It’s still learning and has miles to go

BUT…it IS learning and getting better generally, over time and is worlds away from where FSD was as I look back at say, 2018ish.

Indeed, in a similar fashion to how “Navigate on Auto Pilot” has gotten exponentially better at things like blinkers and responsiveness / decisiveness and general decision making in turns between lanes on the freeway (vs when we first started and it was absolutely painful watching auto pilot try to do), navigation on city streets is getting better and you can see where we’re headed - as the core competencies in the core areas of daily driving are generally under the belt and so we’re talking about Tesla now solving all those “corner cases” that Elon talks about frequently..and for which…as it turns out…is quite a LOT…since city streets have a LOT of “corners” ;-)

I now have FSD Beta 10.4. My experiences are nowhere near as good as what the people on YouTube are posting. I believe they are highly edited to only show the good parts. The FSD is very scary at times and guaranteed to raise your blood pressure by 20 points or more. LOL
From what I have been able to identify here in Colorado, it’s very much depends on your maps. Where I have some new construction and some new lanes it fails terribly. In other areas it’s been quite amazing. One key thing is to make sure to tap the camera button and then later email [email protected] telling them exactly what happened. After they reviewed it they will probably trigger a data upload from your car. For me it took a couple days.

I now have FSD Beta 10.4. My experiences are nowhere near as good as what the people on YouTube are posting. I believe they are highly edited to only show the good parts. The FSD is very scary at times and guaranteed to raise your blood pressure by 20 points or more. LOL
I’ve seen most FSD vids. I very much doubt they’re editing only the good parts. Most show complete drives with fast forwarded parts where it is very easy to reduce playback speed to see in real time if you want to. If FSD was as bad for them as for you, they’d have to do many, many drives with it engaged and them commentating during the drive to cherry pick the one good run out of four (or more, depending on how bad you think FSD is) and these guys aren’t making much money, if any at all, so it’s not at all worth their time to do so. Most also aren’t shy about criticizing the system and expressing their frustration either.

For the record, my experience with Beta has probably on average been better than the vids on YouTube. It probably helps that I smooth out the Beta performance by encouraging with the go pedal when it hesitates while they’re generally letting the system struggle for the views. There are definitely some intersections the Beta can’t deal with yet, and a consistent problem has been strange lane change decisions, but Beta handles 90+ percent of the driving for me now.

Reactions: EVNow