Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ARENA/NRMA national fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And a quality version of the map.
Of course still doesn't explain how this does/doesn't crossover with the various state efforts.
CS-XXXX EV Charging network RGB_v1.jpg

Reactions: Vostok
While this is a great initiative, there will be significant power challenges for many of the proposed remote area sites.

For example in South Australia, Border Village, Coober Pedy, Glendambo, Marla, and Yunta are all outside the SAPN network (i.e. not on the main grid) and instead have local grids typically powered by diesel generators which may not easily support even one 75 kW charger let alone more than one (for future needs).

It’s even worse in the Northern Territory.

So I am wondering how much work they have done to match locations with the current capability of the local grid in these areas, and to what extent they will be investing in modern RAPS that are based on solar and storage (which are still very expensive) in order to harden these sites. Noting even RAPS typically have diesel generator backup. I hope this is not a thought bubble/dartboard exercise but has been a more thoughtful and detailed coherent plan.

In the initial video they pointed out that they'd be installing SAPS where needed (which will be most of these locations, I'm guessing).

Rather than be focused on covering all of Highway 1, it'd be more beneficial to start with the most remote/underserved parts first, do it *properly*, and gradually cover more and more of the highway until the funds run out.

e.g. start with the NT - since they have nothing. Set up decent systems with solar, battery, and something like 2x 150 kW units (with 4 cables). If it's at a roadhouse or somewhere that itself is a on a diesel generator, integrate the whole site only the SAPS. Don't half-arse it.

Then do the remote parts of SA which are only getting AC charging (crazy that that's a thing, but anyway).

If the money has run out by this point - well that's OK, the rest of SA and most of remote Qld and WA will have 50-75 kW charging.. but if the funds are available, keep going. Then western NSW.

If it never makes it as far as Eastern NSW/Vic/Tas/ACT then that's not really an issue. They are mostly covered, or in progress, or commercial operators like BP, Evie etc. will take these areas on.

Reactions: MC3OZ and Vostok
While this is a great initiative, there will be significant power challenges for many of the proposed remote area sites.

For example in South Australia, Border Village, Coober Pedy, Glendambo, Marla, and Yunta are all outside the SAPN network (i.e. not on the main grid) and instead have local grids typically powered by diesel generators which may not easily support even one 75 kW charger let alone more than one (for future needs).
I've observed before that the best contribution that governments can make here is probably to take the lead on the power network side of the equation.

Electricity distribution is exactly the kind of old-school infrastructure project that Governments understand well, and electricity distributors are exactly the kind of rigid bureaucracy that Governments are used to working with. Sort that out, and leave the charging side of things to the charging network partners.

Reactions: Chuq
I knew I saw the speeds mentioned somewhere... I had feared my mind had made them up... finally found the source, from the original article spread around News Ltd sites:

Full technical details – including the charging speed of the network – have not been released.

The NRMA will be using purpose built charger models for various public charging locations depending upon environmental conditions, location and power availability, sourcing chargers from manufacturers including Tritium, Kempower and ABB.

A spokesman for the organisation said plug power for the public charging locations “will initially range from 75kW to around 300kW”.

Reactions: Vostok
Article shared by @RareEarth - NRMA to start billing for fast-charging, plans multiple off-grid charging systems - has some mentions of their national network plan:

Key quotes:
  • NRMA is also building a national network of 135 charging sites around Australia, at a cost of around $90 million. [These numbers are different to the last announcement - site count is higher and cost is lower]
  • "up to 30 of them" will be off-grid, using "trailer packs with the chargers, solar, batteries and probably some diesel back-up." [This description reminds me of the Elywhere shipping container pods shown by Bjorn Nyland, with some variations]
  • They'll have a "minimum whole-site capacity of 300kW" and "individual chargers might be limited to around 75kW if all the bays are being used at the same time. Some sites could go up to 400kW." [300 kW as minimum is fantastic]

This article notes it is based on a Podcast while may contain more info - might be worth a listen - The Driven Podcast: NRMA to start charging for its chargers

Good to hear NRMA are going to start billing, can't happen soon enough IMO for the sake of people traveling distance who have no other options. To avoid upsetting anyone I'll just say that we traveled to X. We urgently went to X from Melbourne, we intended to charge in X and immediately start heading back to Victoria to get home for an appointment the following day...wishful thinking on our part, we ended up stopped for hours in a charging queue in X as locals with EVs filed in to use the free NRMA fast charger instead of charging at home (currently the only charger in the town).

The biggest issue was caused by a local charging a Classic Ioniq up to 100%, the fastest I saw it charging was 14 kW on a 50 kW charger, eventually as it approached 90% it was charging at 4 kW. They'd left a sign on the car saying something along the lines of we are charging to full call us when it's finished. I called them to try and tell them there was a queue of cars and they didn't answer, eventually someone else called at about 95% SOC, they didn't answer them either but mins later emerged and hot footed it out of there. They clearly knew the inconvenience they were causing and given the state of their creased sign I'm guessing it's well used.

at least 7 cars arrived to try and charge while the Ioniq was trickling away, 2 of us were from interstate without any other charging options within range, the other 5 locals who just wanted to charge for free either left and said they'd come back or let us charge ahead of them once the Ioniq was gone.

The biggest issue was caused by a local charging a Classic Ioniq up to 100%… They'd left a sign on the car saying something along the lines of we are charging to full call us when it's finished. I called them to try and tell them there was a queue of cars and they didn't answer, eventually someone else called at about 95% SOC, they didn't answer them either but mins later emerged and hot footed it out of there. They clearly knew the inconvenience they were causing and given the state of their creased sign I'm guessing it's well used.

That’s dreadful behaviour. Some people are really inconsiderate.

If 5% charge is the difference between making it or not making it to your next destination, you really should plan your trip better and not cut it so fine. Or drive a bit slower.