Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ARENA/NRMA national fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NRMA press release on the opening,
Great news - but it'd be nice if there was actual info about the site provided. e.g. speed. I would also say, cost, app, etc. but assume it's the same as their other ones for now (free, hopefully not much longer).

Reactions: positiv
Great news - but it'd be nice if there was actual info about the site provided. e.g. speed. I would also say, cost, app, etc. but assume it's the same as their other ones for now (free, hopefully not much longer).
Plugshare entry from NRMA indicates it is still a free site. Press release says 360kW across the site, so two 180kW ABB chargers, which means around 70kW for 400V cars due to ABB 200A per cable limit.

A BYD user in Plugshare commented 89kW charging rate today
I may have oversimplified. The standard RWD model 3/Y have a nominal 360V battery voltage which is fairly consistent over its SOC levels though will be lower at really low SOC levels. For the long and performance version of the model 3/Y the nominal battery voltage at 100% SOC is around 400V. The voltage at lower states of charge for these performance and long range cars are considerable lower, at 20% SOC it might be somewhere like 335V which will probably see a lower kW charge at lower SOC and actually peak higher at a later SOC for these 200A limited chargers. We still seem to talk about these cars both being 400V cars. That why I did a bit of a hand waving and said 70kW for 400V cars from my often Tesla centric point of view. For BYD I am less sure what there nominal battery voltage but I think its nominal battery voltage is probably closer to 400V and, with its LFP battery, would have closer to this kind of voltage at lower SOC and at its peak charging SOC for a 200A cable hence why it might see 89kW.

Having said that it seems like there is a 400A cable version of the ABB Terra 184 Charger (4?).

Probably need to get a shot like this,

To see whether this unit is a 400A per cable max unit and more likely to get to around 140kW on a tesla model 3. In this case the BYD would max out due to its onboard DC charging limitation which is often quoted at 70kW but seems like people see at least 90kW in practice.

Reactions: Quickst
NRMA are looking to open their second, and fourth in the area, fast charger site in the Barossa as part of the National Fast Charging Network.
Screenshot_20230910-174151.png

RFC closes in a couple of days.

Any idea how NRMA was picked for this rollout and how the spots were selected? NRMA is not even a national auto club even though the name suggests that it is.

I hope it’s not based on some colour spreadsheet with input from some local pollies, like the community battery rollout.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
Any idea how NRMA was picked for this rollout and how the spots were selected? NRMA is not even a national auto club even though the name suggests that it is.
That article seems to have little to do with this network.

As to how NRMA was picked - I can only guess NRMA planned it internally and made the proposal to ARENA themselves. Although in many cases ARENA solicit bids for particular projects (e.g. Future Fuels fund) they do also regularly announce one-off projects they are supporting (e.g. Chargefox/Evie ultra-rapid networks).

As far as how the spots are selected... they go where the National Highway (or in some cases, Highway 1) goes. They can't really miss out a particular electorate because it would leave a massive gap.

Reactions: SPadival
But 400V chargers have a charging V of 400V nominal irrespective of the pack voltage. Only the charging current is variable
No, the charging voltage has to match the instantaneous pack voltage (unless there's a DC-DC converter involved on the car side, as in the Ioniq 5 when charging on a 400V charger).
How would that work.
There needs to be a voltage difference in order for current to flow.
The car requests the voltage from the charger to charge at. It will request a voltage over what the instantaneous pack voltage is but not too much higher. This will ultimately affect the current, and hence power that the car then charges at. When we talk about 400V cars there pack voltages are not all the same level for even the same chemistry for the same nominal cell voltage. For instance the Model3/Y has 109 LFP cells in series whereas the BYD Atto has on the order of 126 LFP cells in series. These battery packs will require a different output voltage from the charger for the same power.

How would that work.
There needs to be a voltage difference in order for current to flow.
There is a small one of course, but it only needs a small voltage difference for a large current to flow, because the battery pack has very low impedance.

You can observe this pretty readily if you do a big charge on a Tritium PK350 (with a working screen!), because it shows you the instantaneous voltage and current.

V=IR
Given the resistance (R) is fixed, as the pack voltage rises the supplied voltage (V) has to rise too to provide the same current (I).
In this context P=VI is a more suitable equation. For the same Power 800V architecture cars require half the current vs 400V cars. Also, as pack voltage increases, power increases for the same current (if charger is maxed out). Chargers will be generally current limited for Teslas.

Reactions: RichardV