Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger runaround

So I think I'm getting the runaround from Tesla. I emailed Ben Kanner at Tesla, as I've seen his name associated with a few supercharger launches. He is regional sales for "mid south". He said he had not heard anything about Arizona superchargers and referred me to the Scottsdale store manager. The Scottsdale store manager said he had no information about a supercharger in Buckeye, which was my specific question, but then I emailed a followup asking where the Arizona superchargers were to be approximately located. Now he is not responding to me.

Why is the status and location of superchargers shrouded in such mystery?

So I think I'm getting the runaround from Tesla. I emailed Ben Kanner at Tesla, as I've seen his name associated with a few supercharger launches. He is regional sales for "mid south". He said he had not heard anything about Arizona superchargers and referred me to the Scottsdale store manager. The Scottsdale store manager said he had no information about a supercharger in Buckeye, which was my specific question, but then I emailed a followup asking where the Arizona superchargers were to be approximately located. Now he is not responding to me.

It may not be a mystery. Currently there are 8 superchargers being built in the country, including 4 on the west coast alone. They are making a major push and will have the entire I-5 corridor complete within 2-3 weeks. After that, they might move to SoCal and Arizona. However, right now, they seem to be concentrating primarily on I-5. Arizona seems to be up next.

Just received a supercharger update!

Okay, the store manager responded to me today, here is what he wrote:
I'm sorry I haven't gotten back with you sooner.​

Regarding locations of Superchargers, they will be along major corridors in Arizona, but as of right now the specific locations are not announced.​

I can confirm with you that Blythe, CA along the I-10 will be opening very soon, and that locations closer to Phoenix, near Buckeye, and closer to Los Angeles, near Palm Springs, will follow. These locations will provide you with convenient, free, long distance travel to points east and west!​

Further out, Yuma along the I-8 will open likely after the first of the year sometime, along with routes up north too.​

Right now Superchargers are fully connecting all routes north to Vancouver, BC from California, as well as other routes, for example LA to Las Vegas and San Jose to Lake Tahoe, and our Arizona Superchargers will connect you with this entire West Coast network very soon.​

In addition, soon our East Coast networks and Central Corridor networks will be connected along major East-West Interstates, and you'll have free, unlimited access to the entire country by 2015!​

Tesla Superchargers are a major focus for us, and I've communicated the urgency of their opening in Arizona, and we will certainly reach out the moment there is more specific information available!​

In the meantime, thank you so much for your order, and for your support! Please know that I am here to assist in any way, and don't hesitate to reach out if I can help!​

Thanks,

Jason Bonser | Store Manager
Tesla Fashion Square | 7014 E. Camelback Road, Suite 1210, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
p 480.946.3735 | c 480.747.3855 | e [email protected]

I believe that it is a highly fluid situation and something that they're rather, at this point, under promise and over deliver. I was cautious to report the location of the Richmond supercharger precisely because the situation is fluid between something like 6-7 parties including the site owner and the local inspectors. There are so many interested parties, including those that would like to see any negative news about Tesla that is far better to hold off until the permit is granted (which means site survey has been done and the site owner agreement has been executed).

The big push at this point through the end of this year is likely north south corridors on both coasts and Musk's cross country trip.

Good to see the reply. Though no specifics are given, it's nice to hear. I wonder what 'very soon' is in Tesla parlance. Blythe, as mentioned is the key one needed to make any PHX-LA trip possible. So, I hope very soon means like next 2-3 weeks, not next 2-3 months.

And if it is within the next month, then there should be some visible signs of it, either physical or permits.

From the Oregon Supercharger thread earlier this evening:

The crew at Grants Pass said that was one of their next sites (Detroit Lake OR, Vacaville CA, and Yuma AZ). Detroit Lake is surprising but it comes from the crew that is about to do it.

---

so maybe Yuma will start in 4 to 6 weeks...

Looks like Blythe, CA and Yuma, AZ.

The one on I-10 is a bit further east than the Yuma one though. Makes me wonder if its in Quartzsite instead of Blythe... If so, that would alleviate any concerns I have about making it back home from Blythe in the middle of summer. And it might explain why we're hearing rumors of a Gilbert SC instead of Buckeye...

Also, Quartzsite is 118 miles from Indio (which is also a rumored SC location) -- so even with the ~2000 foot elevation gain on the hill outside Indio, that is reachable in a 60 in 110+ and 70-75...

can't wait...

Last edited:
I love to know the complete story on the rumored supercharger in Gilbert . . . still sounds like a dumb idea to me.

Maybe I'll start my own rumor and see where it goes . . . perhaps about the new Tesla showroom in Punkin Center, AZ or the showroom/gallery scheduled to open on January 6th in Bumble Bee, AZ.

Agreed. To get out of town and further east you would stay on the 10 through Tucson. Casa Grande I can understand, Gilbert is 20 miles out of the way and makes no sense.

Yuma Supercharger

I had a conversation yesterday with Hilton Garden Inn GM, Jeff Hirsch. He recently became aware of the Tesla supercharger installation and verified with the City of Yuma planning dept. As of yesterday, the permit had not been picked up. He indicated the next step-which he expected to occur in 4-6 months, was a meeting Tesla would have with the Hilton property owners/managers. Given what he heard from the City, and since Tesla was responsible financially for the construction, he saw few if any issues from Hiltons's perspective. He did mention they would be required to relocate their trash dumpster enclosure.

In another thread, Tyl has reported on Quartzsite as the first likely SCS in AZ based upon a conversation at a recent event in the Bay Area. I'd love to believe it but, I frequently caution myself because supercharger rumors are more plentiful than zits on teens . . . and getting a Tesla official to substantiate a report is harder than nailing Jello to a tree.

Mark -
i understand not getting hopes up.

I don't know why Tyl didn't post his update in this thread (instead he hit one of the main SC threads and the gigantic multi-topic AZ thread). But someone else posted that they will be driving through Quartzsite next week and will do some scouting, so we'll know soon enough if construction is underway.

For now, I'll believe the report... Even without Tyl's post, I would expect the I-10 SC sites to be coming in the next month or so for a few reasons:
- The I-5 corridor is now complete -- so this is the next logical route to start branching off
- I never expected these to be built during summer. Now that the temps are nice, it's time...
- There was a pic posted a couple weeks ago with Tesla's dashboard of Superchargers showing coming soon dots on both Quartzsite and Yuma. 4 of the other coming soon dots on that pic are now live.

I will repeat this post on this thread:

With the Farmington, NM Supercharger anounncement and the upcoming Elon Winter road trip, Arizona may be the real sleeper in the Supercharger rollout. Keep your eyes open; you Zonies may have wonderful paths to Southern California and Colorado ski mountains in a few months as a side benefit of the Elon road trip. Enjoy! :biggrin:

I want to do the Colorado to Southern California road trip this winter with my son. The first route may be backtracking the Elon trip rather than the more obvious I-70 to I-15 route. Keep your eyes open, wide...and let us know what your see...

Good to know this thread exists! :crying:

The information I received yesterday at the "Drive Free" event in San Francisco CA was verbal and came from Kevin Kassekert. Director, Supercharger Deployment & Energy Efficiency Tesla Motors Inc. 3500 Deer Creek Road Palo Alto, CA 94304. Quartzite will be Arizona's first operational Supercharger. When queried if Quartzite is currently under construction ... the response was "yes" .. I had thought the first Arizona supercharger would have been Yuma due to so many historical firsts occurring in Yuma. BTW this got chuckles :biggrin: from Tesla reps!! They do not do historical back ground checks when planning supercharger sites, they are way too busy. My thinking was that with the "Ocean to Ocean Bridge" crossing in Yuma and the history of the 1st year round travel route from coast to coast along the I-8 & I-10 corridor.... Yuma being Arizona's first SC, would tie the two historical events together somewhat. Again, the reps appreciated the brief history lesson but admitted that their site teams were a little too swamped to match up SC installations with historical impact studies. I chuckle myself! ..... it was just a thought! Sooooo Quartzite it is! ...and I apologize again for not getting the site address in Quartzite.. I just forgot to ask! One other thing they mentioned is the SC site teams are taking into consideration the distance between SC's so 60Kwh owners are able to travel easily along the TSCN. The biggest impression I was left with is, that the SC deployment team is extremely busy. Each SC has many, many components to plan, organized, coordinate, follow up with, direct and manage.... AND... there are approximately 100 active sites they are working with! They stated many times, they are working as fast as they can, and Tesla owners will all be able to enjoy the TSCNetwork as fast as they can humanly roll it out! They deserve our praise and our patience.
..... and YES!!! I want all the Tesla Superchargers finished yesterday also:smile:

Good to know this thread exists! :crying:

Quartzite will be Arizona's first operational Supercharger. When queried if Quartzite is currently under construction ... the response was "yes" .. I had thought the first Arizona supercharger would have been Yuma due to so many historical firsts occurring in Yuma. BTW this got chuckles :biggrin: from Tesla reps!!

This is interesting news. I still think there is a need for one on the west side of the valley. Just to get into Litchfield Park is 115 miles. This also means there must be one going in somewhere around Indio/Palmsprings.

Cottonwood and others, how are you all managing to get approx. 250 miles on a charge. I can't seem to get more than 210. Just drove to PA from DC, with HVAC off, cruise control on, range max on. drove 60 on 55 mph speed limits and 70mph in 65 mph speed limit areas. Started with 259 after a range charge. Drove 204 to PA and had only 7.5 miles range left.

I just got off the phone with Tesla support and they told me to charge after 180 miles, as the ranges I am getting is about right for a P85 with 21 inch wheels and Michelin Pilot tires (which he said reduces range by about 15 miles compared to the 19 inch wheels).

I would really like to know your secrets, as I want to take a trip from the DC area to Gilbert, AZ. Thanks