Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cordes Junction has undergone some substantial upgrades recently, including the complete rebuild of the interchange with hwy 69 to Prescott. A logical site for an sc between Phoenix and Flagstaff. No Carls Jr., though, and the McDonald's parking area is small.

Cordes Junction has undergone some substantial upgrades recently, including the complete rebuild of the interchange with hwy 69 to Prescott. A logical site for an sc between Phoenix and Flagstaff. No Carls Jr., though, and the McDonald's parking area is small.
Dismissing scant fast food restaurants or outlet malls, it does seem to be a good location as far as miles, range, and elevation goes. I'd use it. (MS 60kWh from Phoenix) It's seems to me to be a well placed SC in the overall Arizona SC plan.

- - - Updated - - -

Dismissing scant fast food restaurants or outlet malls, it does seem to be a good location as far as miles, range, and elevation goes. I'd use it. (MS 60kWh from Phoenix) It's seems to me to be a well placed SC in the overall Arizona SC plan.

Oh, and lots of those miles north of Cordes Junction have NO ELECTRICITY infrastructure. (It's the high desert)

Steve,

I would suggest you try another phone call to the RV park in Tuba City. I spend a lot of time on the Navajo and Hopi lands. You may get a completely different answer the next time you ask, you might even get another person answering the phone. Also, should you make the trip as suggest via Goulding's, as per bsbomber post above, do think about stopping in at the RV park in Tuba City and speaking to them in person. The Navajo are very kind and accommodating when they speak to you in person.

Gene, I stopped for a booster charge at Goulding's and then dropped in at the Quality Inn Navajo Nation in Tuba City to see if I could persuade them to offer at least mid-day charges to transient Model S owners. I pulled up under the portico right in front of the reception desk and pointed to the S while I told the two women behind the desk that I wanted to enquire about using one of the campground's 50A RV plugs for a couple of hours. They were instantly much less defensive than the woman I had talked to on the phone the week before. Pretty soon I had employees coming out of the woodwork to see the car. I must have spent 30 minutes talking to everyone who was interested, and before I left the general manager came out and talked to me, too. I showed her the supercharging map on the 17" and explained how people traveling between Flagstaff and Blanding would need a booster charge. By the end, she was excited about the possibility not only of offering 50A charges to Model S owners (she grasped the business advantage of having well-heeled tourists spending time at the motel/restaurant), but also to the idea that Tuba City is a natural spot for a new Supercharger serving the entire northern AZ/southern Utah vacation wonderland. She mentioned, too, that the property owners have a second Quality Inn in Page. I showed her the form on the TM website where land owners can request a Supercharger on their property, shook hands all around, and continued on to Flagstaff.

So, for those traveling Flagstaff-Blanding and needing a charge, call ahead during business hours and talk to Yvonne at Goulding's Campground in Monument Valley, 435-727-3235; or Iva at the Quality Inn Navajo Nation in Tuba City, 928-283-4545.

THAT's the way to do it, Steve!!!!! Great job negotiating/marketing/prosletyzing. Wanna come hit the RV parks all the way back to Alaska with us in two months? :)

Calling all owners to Buckeye, AZ!

Updated Buckeye Supercharger thread here:

Supercharger - Buckeye, AZ - Page 13

Mayor is asking for multiple vehicles to show up for the ribbon cutting, if possible. No date/time yet, but I will be notified as soon as the Mayor knows. I will post the update to the above Buckeye thread. I learned from a newspaper columnist that Buckeye is on the short list of Arizona cities to be considered for the gigafactory, so a show of solidarity from area owners would be wonderful!

Let me know when and I will be there with my Model S

Updated Buckeye Supercharger thread here:

Supercharger - Buckeye, AZ - Page 13

Mayor is asking for multiple vehicles to show up for the ribbon cutting, if possible. No date/time yet, but I will be notified as soon as the Mayor knows. I will post the update to the above Buckeye thread. I learned from a newspaper columnist that Buckeye is on the short list of Arizona cities to be considered for the gigafactory, so a show of solidarity from area owners would be wonderful!

Service Center in Palm Desert (Palm Springs, CA)

A few hundred miles off topic to the west, but as an AZ resident, I was thrilled. Please re- cross-post where appropriate.
It appears, according to the TeslaMotors.com website, there will be a Tesla service center in Palm Desert (Palm Springs), CA.

Palm Desert | Tesla Motors

And a probable Supercharger in Indio, CA. (scroll down for latest info.)

AZ, good place to own a Tesla.

Last edited:
Chandler -> Buckeye SuperCharger -> Kingman SuperCharger -> Vegas

I know nobody likes a cross-poster.. but I'm not getting any nibbles on this in the AZ group section..
My family is planning a road trip to Vegas next weekend...

We live in Chandler and plan to stop at the Buckeye supercharger for a range-mode top-up.. from there to the Kingman supercharger is approx 182 miles..
EVTripPlanner tells me, with payload, massaging for predicted air temps (cabin=O.A.T.), and a 1.0 speed multiplier, that I will make it using 213 rated miles and "burn" about 362 wh/m doing it.
That sounds reasonable, risk wise. (S85, 19"). My understanding is EVTripPlanner does a good job of considering the elevation deltas along the way since Kingman is about 2500 ft higher and there are a lot of ups & downs on the way.
Has anyone else made the trek up to Kingman (from Phoenix or points south)?
Do you have any data on how you came out? wh/m used average, speed traveled, range remaining in Kingman, etc.?

Did you use EVTripPlanner and if so, how did it's predictions compare to your actual?

Thanks for helping out the semi-newby (7 months w/S85) with his first trip further than Quartzsite. :scared:
and please forgive the cross-post..

I know nobody likes a cross-poster.. but I'm not getting any nibbles on this in the AZ group section..

We live in Chandler and plan to stop at the Buckeye supercharger for a range-mode top-up.. from there to the Kingman supercharger is approx 182 miles..
EVTripPlanner tells me, with payload, massaging for predicted air temps (cabin=O.A.T.), and a 1.0 speed multiplier, that I will make it using 213 rated miles and "burn" about 362 wh/m doing it.
That sounds reasonable, risk wise. (S85, 19"). My understanding is EVTripPlanner does a good job of considering the elevation deltas along the way since Kingman is about 2500 ft higher and there are a lot of ups & downs on the way.
Do you have any data on how you came out? wh/m used average, speed traveled, range remaining in Kingman, etc.?

Did you use EVTripPlanner and if so, how did it's predictions compare to your actual?

Thanks for helping out the semi-newby (7 months w/S85) with his first trip further than Quartzsite. :scared:
I did the trip from Tucson/ Scottsdale Tesla store (and charger) last year before the Buckeye SC was a twinkle in TM's eyes. Because I wasn't willing to spend the time it would take to get a range charge in Scottsdale, I left with about 220 rated miles. There is a friendly stop in Wikiup at Davos RV which we used to get us over the top to Kingman. Was a close call. I'm planning on re-doing the trip in early May, and plan on leaving Buckeye with 252 rated miles. Believe it won't be a problem with a range charge in Buckeye. Will be anxious to hear your numbers when you do it. Couple of thoughts:
1. Highway 93 allows your to manage your speed at 65 which helps.
2. When you get to Wikiup make sure you have 90 rated miles in the tank. If not, stop at Davos.

Cross-post, in this case, no harm, no foul.
We've found EVTripPlanner very accurate and reliable for our road trip travels here in the Southwest. Yes, that climb up to Kingman is significant, and our first trip (a year ago, in a MS60, sans any Superchargers, it really surprised us.). We learned.
Napabill is exactly right, use Davos RV at Wikiup for a safety stop if the math warrants it. With good temperatures, and a light foot on the pedal, you may not need it. Trust EVTripPlanner and build in whatever safety cushion you want. I usually want 20 miles rated range in reserve on my flight plan, but I know many others are fine with ~10 miles rated range upon arrival and they are happy with that.

OT, I donate to EVTripPlanner each time I use it for a road trip. My understanding is they only get about 10 donations (~$300) per month; I see much greater value so I re-donate $25 with each trip. It's cheaper than gas.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark,

how about putting the Indio supercharger in the Near Arizona list. It is really essential for any kind of PHX to LA trip.

I second that.

Last edited: