Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cliff -
Let me pass on my kudos again... I sent a bug report in on Fri and your son sent a great response later that afternoon, including link to a sneak peak of the new version. I played with it a bit over the weekend (and saw that he was adding features / options along the way). The new version takes EV Trip Planner from a great point-to-point planning tool to a true road-trip tool.

For reference, we're planning a huge road trop from Phoenix to Saltspring Island BC this summer. Was fantastic for doing the route planning -- especially trying to figure out where to stop for a night on the big drive days...
Wow, you going to Salt Spring Island? I've got a trip planned there in September via the San Juan Islands, then on to Vancouver. Document your experience well!

Wow, you going to Salt Spring Island? I've got a trip planned there in September via the San Juan Islands, then on to Vancouver. Document your experience well!

Bill -
Yep... Got married there too. My in-laws live on SSI, so we're up there just about every summer and every other Christmas. I was doing our trip planning this weekend -- mostly to figure out where we would be each night on the driving days and to coordinate ferry schedules. 3 week total trip, with one week on SSI. TMC Connect just happens to be on our way up, so will join...

If you are doing the San Juan's first, the Burlington Supercharger is ~30 min from the Anacortes ferry terminal. You can catch a ferry to Sidney, BC from Friday Harbor, and then catch ferries to SSI or other Southern Gulf Islands from Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island. On Saltspring, there is only one public charger location, with 2 plugs (just on the edge of the main town of Ganges, about a 5 min walk to nearly everything in town), but its on a 30A circuit, so will charge pretty slow. Since we'll be on the island for a week, we'll just charge off and on from the public charger and on 120V at my in-laws. The car probably won't see more than 10 miles a day that week, so works for us...

Last edited:
The Cordes Junction Supercharger permit has been filed for. Here is the information: Application for Permit was filed (A12014000937) on 4/4/2014. Black and Veatch is the contractor. The address is the Shell station at 14925 Stagecoach Trail, Cordes Lakes. The application for permit was filed with Yavapai County.

Globe, AZ Supercharger Needed

I drive from Tucson, AZ to the White Mountains region (Pinetop, AZ) several times a month and would really like to see a supercharge in Globe, AZ. I know many people in the northern/Scottsdale Phoenix area would prefer to travel to the White Mountains region via Payson, AZ and ideally, it would be nice to have a supercharger there too. But traveling through Globe, AZ, even for people in northern Phoenix, is not many miles out of the way.

I had filled out the online Supercharger form requesting a supercharger in Globe several months ago, but never even got a confirmation that my request was received from Tesla. I decided to draft a more formal request a few weeks ago and actually got a reply:
Thank you for the email and suggestion.

Our Site Development Team has received the request for Globe, AZ and will consider the area as we explore the route in greater detail. Should you have additional recommendations in the future, please continue to suggest them here. Due to the volume of requests we get on a daily basis, we aren’t able to respond to each one, but certainly save all suggestions and reach out if there is a good fit.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and support of Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Here is the request I sent to Tesla. Maybe if there is additional interest in this location, some more people can tickle Tesla regarding the Globe, AZ site:

Proposed Future SuperchargerGlobe, AZ
Intersection of HWY 70 & HWY 60
(
Carl’s Jr. 1680 E Ash St, Globe, AZ)

Direct travel to the AZ White Mountains region from both Phoenix and Tucson is difficult, even in a 85kWh Model S. A range charge is needed and then one usually arrives at the destination with anywhere from 5-40 miles of remaining range, usually due to elevation changes, winter weather or headwinds. A perfect “half-way” point is Globe, AZ.

This location and potentially others are near the intersection of HWY 60 and HWY 70. Since you already have a relationship with Carl's Jr. AZ, it may be easier to approach them, although there are other fast food restaurants within walking distance along Ash St. (HWY 60). Large power lines run through the back of the properties on Ash St.

This location is ideal for both Phoenix and Tucson traffic for access to the AZ White Mountains hiking and skying region (Pinetop, Sunrise). Also east bound traffic (HWY70) can also access locations in SE AZ and Lordsburg, NM which is listed on the 2015 Supercharger map. North bound on HWY 60 can access Show Low AZ, and the Holbrook Supercharger 135 miles away.

I travel through this route (Tucson, AZ -> Globe, AZ -> Pinetop, AZ) and stop at the Taco Bell at the Globe, AZ HWY60 & HWY70 intersection which is half way for my 200+ mile, 4000ft elevation gain trip - in a Model S 85P (range charged). Average speed for both the Phoenix & Tucson to Globe 100mi route is 55mph with stretches at 65mph, with mostly mountainous scenic travel.

Contact information for the people at Carl’s Jr. (which I’m sure you still have on file):

Margaret LeVecke
MJKL Enterprises
602 722-xxxx

Distances Between Globe, AZ and Existing & Future Superchargers
Holbrook, AZ (Existing) 134mi
Buckeye, AZ (Existing) 117mi
Gila Bend, AZ (Existing) 143mi
Show Low, AZ (Future) 87mi
Casa Grande, AZ (Future) 86mi
Lordsburg, NM (Future) 153mi
Cordes Lakes, AZ (Future) 155mi

Distance Between Globe, AZ and nearby Cities
Phoenix, AZ 88mi
Tucson, AZ 106mi
Show Low, AZ 87mi
Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ 96mi
Sunrise, AZ 130mi
Safford, AZ 77mi
Willcox, AZ 122mi

Thanks for your consideration,

Arizona’s Tesla drivers get new Supercharger for summer migration

Not much we don't already know about, but it's nice to see that news organizations are covering those stories:

Tesla has now opened 94 Supercharger stations in North America, including one of the newest installed on West Pima Street in Gila Bend, for Arizonans’ annual summer migration to San Diego. The newest installations are part of Tesla’s push to “fill out electric highways around the world.” - See more at: Arizonas Tesla drivers get new Supercharger for summer migration

Yes- having something in Southeast AZ will be needed to go east of Tucson- The Tesla Supercharger map doesn't show any Superchargers between Casa Grande and New Mexico- that won't work for the I-10 route- Even if they put one in Tucson, that wouldn't be close enough to New Mexico- probably need one in Wilcox-

Yes- having something in Southeast AZ will be needed to go east of Tucson- The Tesla Supercharger map doesn't show any Superchargers between Casa Grande and New Mexico- that won't work for the I-10 route- Even if they put one in Tucson, that wouldn't be close enough to New Mexico- probably need one in Wilcox-
A Supercharger in Willcox, AZ would be a perfect 150 miles from the planned Supercharger in Casa Grande, AZ, but putting a Supercharger midway between Casa Grande and the planned installation in Lordsburg, NM probably makes even more sense. I'm betting on Benson, AZ - 110 miles from both Casa Grande & Lordsburg.

Any idea where in Casa Grande? also, there is about to be a new outlet mall built on the northwest side of Tucson, maybe thats the logical place for a Supercharger? it's just over 100 miles to Gila Bend and about 135 miles to Buckeye from the NW side of Tucson. although it's about 170 miles to Lordsburg from there. Casa Grande is pretty close to the other two in the PHX area.

Does anyone have any info on 'when' in Casa Grande, or any other location between Tucson and Phoenix?

This is really causing an issue for me, as I frequently make day trips to Tucson from Phoenix and haven't figured out how to do it in the Tesla. I don't have twin chargers, so can't really take advantage of Picacho Peak. I'd love to find nice place to have lunch and charge. The best that I've come up with is the Arizona Inn, but they are just Blink chargers that I assume are 10-15mph. And I don't think that's going to be enough. Anyone have any suggestions? For now, I either have someone else drive or I take my ICE.

Also...any suggestions on a good place to stay in Tucson with chargers, in addition to Arizona Inn?

The La Paloma has a 14-50 they will put out for guests...

As for your day trips, we made it from our house in far north Scottsdale (basically by the Boulders...) to the La Paloma using right around 150 rated miles each way (and drove 5-10 over the limit on I-10). If you are closer to Scottsdale Airpark, you could probably shave 25 miles off the round trip making it 175 in total.

in an 85, that means you'd need to add 25-50 miles of charging while in Tucson. 2 hours on a Blink would do it if you need the lower part of that range and had one close to your destination... Or an hour or so lunch at La Paloma...

Last edited:
Any idea where in Casa Grande? also, there is about to be a new outlet mall built on the northwest side of Tucson, maybe thats the logical place for a Supercharger? it's just over 100 miles to Gila Bend and about 135 miles to Buckeye from the NW side of Tucson. although it's about 170 miles to Lordsburg from there. Casa Grande is pretty close to the other two in the PHX area.
And exactly 6 miles from my place on Dove Mountain!:biggrin:

Does anyone have any info on 'when' in Casa Grande, or any other location between Tucson and Phoenix?

This is really causing an issue for me, as I frequently make day trips to Tucson from Phoenix and haven't figured out how to do it in the Tesla. I don't have twin chargers, so can't really take advantage of Picacho Peak. I'd love to find nice place to have lunch and charge. The best that I've come up with is the Arizona Inn, but they are just Blink chargers that I assume are 10-15mph. And I don't think that's going to be enough. Anyone have any suggestions? For now, I either have someone else drive or I take my ICE.

Also...any suggestions on a good place to stay in Tucson with chargers, in addition to Arizona Inn?

Yet another example of why I strongly recommend to Tesla buyers to get dual chargers. Between Show Rooms, Service Centers, Sun Country Highway, personal HPWC's, and places like Picacho Peak, there are more places than you first think where dual chargers are useful...

Yet another example of why I strongly recommend to Tesla buyers to get dual chargers. Between Show Rooms, Service Centers, Sun Country Highway, personal HPWC's, and places like Picacho Peak, there are more places than you first think where dual chargers are useful...
Speaking as an early-adopter road warrior, I heartily second that thought. I committed to my MS in the summer of 2012 and it never occurred to me that I'd need a second charger. Boy, do I wish I got it. And too cheap to pay for the retrofit.

I do this trip all the time. Bookmans on Speedway and Country Club (I believe) has a Level II charger (charges at 40MPH). I usually plug in and leave the car for a couple hours and have plenty of range to make it back to North Scottsdale at a reasonable speed. I can't wait for the Chademo adapter to come out.

There is a listing in today's (4 June) model S Tesla forum showing a link to 29 "coming soon" superchargers. Of local interest are those in Cordes Lakes, Wickenberg, and...Casa Grande.
No estimated dates for construction, but it's nice that Casa Grande is among the 29. That's better than being on the "end of 2015" map.

There is a listing in today's (4 June) model S Tesla forum showing a link to 29 "coming soon" superchargers. Of local interest are those in Cordes Lakes, Wickenberg, and...Casa Grande.
No estimated dates for construction, but it's nice that Casa Grande is among the 29. That's better than being on the "end of 2015" map.
Seems to me that an SC in Ash Fork would be quite useful for eastbound S60/Gen3 traffic on I-40 on the way to Grand Canyon (or fighting a headwind to Flagstaff), or Prescott and on to Wickenburg or Cordes Lakes. It's only about 98 miles from Kingman, but there's also more than 2,500 feet of elevation gain and the speed limit on I-40 is 75 (so people are probably driving 80+). Williams might be better just for Grand Canyon, but is probably too close to Flagstaff and doesn't have the intersection for Prescott.