Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see a personal need for Seven seats, so I am torn between Five or Six seat configurations. I'm considering different aspects and have found I like both for different reasons.

I could use the cargo space provided by a Five-seater. One of the primary reasons I decided to reserve a Model X back in 2013 was for the space (to be able to haul drum equipment without a small trailer). It appears the X may not have quite as much interior cargo room as original anticipated, but I believe the Five-seater will be plenty for my needs. That said, it's not something I want to assume. I've seen many posted pics of Six/Seven-seat configurations, but has anyone seen a Five-seater in person yet? Moreover, does anyone have a pic of the cargo space in a Model X without installed third row seats?

I'd be a bit bummed if the space available proved too small, but am certainly not in the "I'm-just-gonna-have-to-cancel-my-reservation-now" boat. The good news is, the X will tow that small trailer (if needed) and, luckily, I really like the Six-seat setup. Though, I am wondering about the second row without the middle seat. Has anyone heard anything about interior arm rests in the second row for six-seaters?

I took the factory tour just after the first of the year, but the production line was still down (for the holidays, I believe) and the only fully assembled Model X's I was able to see were being prepped for delivery later that day. I was allowed to walk around them and look inside through open doors, but not to touch, much less sit in, and with the rear hatches closed, I wasn't able to gauge the storage in the back. Unbelievable beautiful cars, though. When someone says images do not do it justice, it is 1000% true. It has to be seen in person to get the full impact of how amazing they are.

I poked around the forum and didn't see answers for either of these questions, though that doesn't mean it's not on here somewhere, so apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

Thanks.

I don't see a personal need for Seven seats, so I am torn between Five or Six seat configurations. I'm considering different aspects and have found I like both for different reasons.

I could use the cargo space provided by a Five-seater. One of the primary reasons I decided to reserve a Model X back in 2013 was for the space (to be able to haul drum equipment without a small trailer). It appears the X may not have quite as much interior cargo room as original anticipated, but I believe the Five-seater will be plenty for my needs. That said, it's not something I want to assume. I've seen many posted pics of Six/Seven-seat configurations, but has anyone seen a Five-seater in person yet? Moreover, does anyone have a pic of the cargo space in a Model X without installed third row seats?

I'd be a bit bummed if the space available proved too small, but am certainly not in the "I'm-just-gonna-have-to-cancel-my-reservation-now" boat. The good news is, the X will tow that small trailer (if needed) and, luckily, I really like the Six-seat setup. Though, I am wondering about the second row without the middle seat. Has anyone heard anything about interior arm rests in the second row for six-seaters?

I took the factory tour just after the first of the year, but the production line was still down (for the holidays, I believe) and the only fully assembled Model X's I was able to see were being prepped for delivery later that day. I was allowed to walk around them and look inside through open doors, but not to touch, much less sit in, and with the rear hatches closed, I wasn't able to gauge the storage in the back. Unbelievable beautiful cars, though. When someone says images do not do it justice, it is 1000% true. It has to be seen in person to get the full impact of how amazing they are.

I poked around the forum and didn't see answers for either of these questions, though that doesn't mean it's not on here somewhere, so apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

Thanks.

They haven't made any 5 seaters yet. From looking at it closely this evening, it looks like you'll go from an ~15 inch rise from the floor where the middle row is mounted to the cargo shelf/back of the back seats folded down, which is the "top" position of the rear cargo shelf, to the level of the "low" position for the cargo shelf being flush with the non-existent rear seats in the 5 seat configuration, probably about 10-11 inches off the floor. So you'll gain ~4-5 inches of vertical space in a cargo compartment that is at most 5 feet deep from the back of the back hatch to the back of the back seats in cargo mode. That 4-5 inches is important because it's all space unencumbered by the slant of the rear window, etc. So it would significantly increase usable cargo volume.

OK, but for my purposes the 6 seater works better because it allows for the length of some of my cargo to run between the middle row seats. And, as it happens, with the shelf in the "low" position should be nearly ideal for the folded down rear seat backs to neatly support the fuselage of my plane(s).

For your drum set, I suspect you'd have no trouble, but it's been a long time since I saw a friend's drum set getting hauled in his mom's car, so I could be wrong.

There has been no discussion of arm rests for the middle seats in the 6 seater. Given the bucket nature of the seats and the back side bolstering, I don't think you'd miss arm rests all that much. Riding in a friend's sprinter with a bench seat in the middle, I VERY MUCH miss arm rests and my back hurts after a long trip. I don't think I'd have that problem riding in the middle row of the 6 seater.

Peter+

Dave,

I have spent weeks searching for the same information you seek. It is not to be found. Everything I have learned supports the statements made by @pvogel except I believe that the amount gained vertically will be a little more than 4-5 inches (closer to 9-10 inches if I had to guess).

I started with the 5s configuration assuming it offered the most cargo area. In fact, the 6s configuration offers the most. I will share my other considerations for switching to the 6s in case any of this info is helpful for you.

6s offers unobscured rear view with the third row folded (not so for 5s and 7s)
6s offers room to stretch legs for 3rd row occupants (described as less claustrophobic by those who have compared 6s to 7s)
6s offers the ability to carry long items up to 15 inches in width (I estimate 8ft long resting on the center console and 10ft long resting on dash, the others are limited to 5ft)
6s offers faster ingress and egress to/from the 3rd row through the space between the 2nd row seats
The middle seat in the second row is narrower than its siblings and offers significantly less headroom
The 2nd row cup holders will hit the legs of a middle seat 2nd row passenger
The vertical space gained in the 5s means that you will not have a flush deck (will need to lift items out rather than sliding them out)
Early reports of rain entering the car when opening the FWDs seems to land on 2nd row center seat (possibly a bad seal issue and non factor)
5s does not have a separate heating and cooling for the rear of the vehicle.

For my needs this configuration was the best choice. Each of the others will be perfect for folks with different needs.

Please be aware that you will be charged $500 for changing your seating configuration, even if you move up from the 5s to the 6s, once your order has been accepted.

I think Tesla continues to damage its brand by penalizing customers for making changes when they have failed to provide the information needed to make an informed choice. Hope this information helps you avoid my fate.

Cargo room differences aside, the biggest differences with 5, 6 and 7 seats is the omnipresence of the middle row's middle seat headrest in the rear view mirror in the 5 and 7 seat configuration. It's a non-issue for many, but a big one for others. We have a 6-seater, have sat in a 7-seater, and am happy with our choice. But we don't cart around drum sets...

In the absence of folding second row seats it's the six seater for me. As pointed out the increased (less decreased?) visibility out the back window and the ability to place longer objects (such as skis) is very important to me. Gaining a few inches in height in the back is no big deal to me.

If they had offered a four seater (no 3rd row) I might have taken them up on it. So for now I will just leave them folded and haul around a bunch of dead weight.

They haven't made any 5 seaters yet. From looking at it closely this evening, it looks like you'll go from an ~15 inch rise from the floor where the middle row is mounted to the cargo shelf/back of the back seats folded down, which is the "top" position of the rear cargo shelf, to the level of the "low" position for the cargo shelf being flush with the non-existent rear seats in the 5 seat configuration, probably about 10-11 inches off the floor. So you'll gain ~4-5 inches of vertical space in a cargo compartment that is at most 5 feet deep from the back of the back hatch to the back of the back seats in cargo mode. That 4-5 inches is important because it's all space unencumbered by the slant of the rear window, etc. So it would significantly increase usable cargo volume.

OK, but for my purposes the 6 seater works better because it allows for the length of some of my cargo to run between the middle row seats. And, as it happens, with the shelf in the "low" position should be nearly ideal for the folded down rear seat backs to neatly support the fuselage of my plane(s).

For your drum set, I suspect you'd have no trouble, but it's been a long time since I saw a friend's drum set getting hauled in his mom's car, so I could be wrong.

There has been no discussion of arm rests for the middle seats in the 6 seater. Given the bucket nature of the seats and the back side bolstering, I don't think you'd miss arm rests all that much. Riding in a friend's sprinter with a bench seat in the middle, I VERY MUCH miss arm rests and my back hurts after a long trip. I don't think I'd have that problem riding in the middle row of the 6 seater.

Peter+

So, even without the third row installed, the rear cargo area changes elevation (by a several inches)? I guess I just assumed it'd be flat back there without the seats, unless I am not understanding your description correctly (which is very possible, lol).

Thanks to everyone for the input. It's very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

But we don't cart around drum sets...

Bummer. Then you could advise whether it's too small or not, lol.

I hadn't taken the middle seat view-obstruction into consideration. I'm guessing had I been able to sit in one at the factory, that'd have stood out to me instantly.

I've still got a bit more homework to do before I confirm. I'd like to be able to sit in (or better yet, drive) an X before I commit to a final configuration, but at the moment, I can sorta feel myself drifting more and more toward Six...

Thank for the input.

So, even without the third row installed, the rear cargo area changes elevation (by a several inches)? I guess I just assumed it'd be flat back there without the seats, unless I am not understanding your description correctly (which is very possible, lol).

Thanks to everyone for the input. It's very helpful.
I think what Peter is trying to say is that under the 3rd row of seats the floor is actually raised a bit to accommodate the rear drive unit. It can be seen in this slightly altered early CGI of the interior.

Model-X-Interior.jpg

Most of us postulating on what the 5 seat option will look like is assuming that "hump" will remain even if the 3rd row of seats is removed.

Cheers!

Is it just me, or does it look amazingly spacious inside that X with the white interior.

Absolutely! I noticed this at the factory event Friday. Elon's car with the white interior at the reveal event "felt" much larger than the demo cars, especially the ones with the black seats and black headliners -- tan seats helped, but the dark headliners still made the car feel smaller.

I'm really glad I went with tan seats and white headliner. I did try to call my DS a few weeks ago to change to white seats and white headliner but I was too late. Very glad I didn't go with black + black!

Absolutely! I noticed this at the factory event Friday. Elon's car with the white interior at the reveal event "felt" much larger than the demo cars, especially the ones with the black seats and black headliners -- tan seats helped, but the dark headliners still made the car feel smaller.

I'm really glad I went with tan seats and white headliner. I did try to call my DS a few weeks ago to change to white seats and white headliner but I was too late. Very glad I didn't go with black + black!

If it makes you feel any better, Tesla will not sell you an X with white seats and white headliner. They are two very distinctive whites and they clash, so they removed that option.

If it makes you feel any better, Tesla will not sell you an X with white seats and white headliner. They are two very distinctive whites and they clash, so they removed that option.
Doesn't mean you can't get it. Check out the pics Brett posted of his Pearl white delivery. He's got that combo.

Although, he did have a Sig. Perhaps they would allow it if you called and asked for it. Like the all vegan interior that isn't advertised anywhere either.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that that image (CGI) was lightened (not by me) so we could see the floor and seats better back when we were trying to figure out if the second row would fold.