Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Tesla Finishes Dead Last On These 2 Quality Measures"

This headline, repeated by at least two financial "news" outlets today falsely implies failings on the part of Tesla's vehicle quality. The two metrics in question have nothing to do with the vehicles, but rather refer to some rating of recent institutional selling, and Tesla's eps vs. other automakers. I tweeted a link to TM, perhaps others may want to voice concern to TM as well. They have to ignore most of the shenanigans, but I think some things, such as those that can create false negative consumer perceptions, are worth at least considering a response to, perhaps a legal response. First time I've noticed IBD stooping to this kind of behavior.

Tesla Finishes Dead Last On These 2 Quality Measures TSLA VLKAY - Investors.com

I noticed that, too. Extremely misleading.

I agree as well....it certainly worked as click-bait. IBD's rating index was considered a very poor joke when I worked on Wall Street a zillion years ago; in this age I suppose anything that causes clicks are more important than any worthwhile article.

I also thought, as did Texas EV, that the only way for the article's headline to come close to passing muster would be were it to read "TSLA Finishes.....". Stock prices are the ONLY thing the IBD indices measure. Shame on them.

To those who haven't clicked: don't. Nothing to see there; just that the stock price doesn't hit the IBD's targets.

More click bait: "Why Tesla Stock is Finally Dying". The punchline of the piece is that the existing car companies are just about to swamp Tesla with their mass manufacturing of BEV's and Tesla will remain a bit player. What a bunch of BS. It ignores the lack of battery capacity with the other companies (without a GF) and Tesla energy.

http://247wallst.com/autos/2015/10/08/why-tesla-stock-is-finally-dying/

More click bait: "Why Tesla Stock is Finally Dying". The punchline of the piece is that the existing car companies are just about to swamp Tesla with their mass manufacturing of BEV's and Tesla will remain a bit player. What a bunch of BS. It ignores the lack of battery capacity with the other companies (without a GF) and Tesla energy.

http://247wallst.com/autos/2015/10/08/why-tesla-stock-is-finally-dying/

lol this article is a joke. Personally, my favorite line is "the current price is a rally from $185 in late April. Shares, now trading at $232, will be back under $200 again." Yes, there's a chance that Tesla may dip below $200 temporarily but to say it with such confidence just shows how opinion-based this article is and the lack of factual knowledge.

This article makes the two most common and biggest comparisons that most critics point out in my opinion:

1) Comparing Tesla's market cap with companies like GM - When will people realize that Tesla is much more than a traditional auto maker? Aside from having vastly superior cars in every aspect, Tesla will end up making more money from their energy storage business when it's all said and done. Funny how quickly everybody is forgetting the impact that Powerwalls and Powerpacks will have on an industry separate from cars. Not to mention GM already went out of business not even a decade ago.

2) Comparing Tesla's vehicle sales to those of other car makers - Tesla's ~25% profit margin beats virtually every other car maker aside from Porsche, who also does not sell that many cars. Also, growing sales around 50% each year is remarkable and not being done by anybody else. So not only will Tesla see six-figure vehicle sales in a couple of years, they will see seven-figure vehicle sales not too far after that, at a higher selling price than the competition, with higher margins than the competition.

Bottom line: I can write an essay on how Tesla so different from every other company you can think of. Better management/engineers, brand loyalty, competitive advantages (superchargers, range, performance), resources (GF), energy storage potential.. the list can go on for a while. Keep comparing Tesla to GM and Toyota because you look like a fool.

Something rare, an acurate and informative article, and it's at WSJ:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-tesla-leaves-its-rivals-playing-catch-up-1444327842
...The events at VW manifest, rather melodramatically, this approaching asymptote, where there is no more blood to be squeezed from the stone. More rigorous emission testing will only hasten the inevitable. The future has a plug. Everybody sees it....

... I am struck by the lag time. This isn’t about profit and loss but industry leadership. The Germans are headed where Tesla already is and, taking Frankfurt as the measure, they are in no great hurry to get there. At least they were not before events of the past month so brightly illuminated the handwriting on the wall.

The Journal does not have a single point of view on Tesla. Dan Neil, the paper's automotive columnist and the only writer capable of knowledgeably and intelligently evaluating cars, has unambiguously expressed his strongly favorable view of the Model S.

What Neil wrote about Tesla in the Journal April 3, 2015 ought to cause the Journal's financial and political writers to hide their heads in shame.

I know a lot of gear heads. The only ones who don’t think the Model S is the best in the world haven’t driven one. (emphasis added).

"Best in the world" is a pretty strong statement. It should be evaluated in light of the fact that Neil isn't just a grease monkey who learned how to type. In fact, he is the only automobile writer in history to win a Pulitzer Prize for criticism, for his work when he was automobile critic for the L.A. Times. All the other awards over the years went to highbrow critics in such fields as fine arts, music, and architecture. The Pulitzer award cited Neil "for his one-of-a-kind reviews of automobiles, blending technical expertise with offbeat humor and astute cultural observations." Dan Neil doesn't just know something about cars. In his hands, fine arts includes cars. He is the best in the business.

This is worth recalling when political hacks on the WSJ editorial page rant about Consumer Reports having committed "prostitution" for publishing the very same favorable view of the Model S as the Journal's own expert, and when ill-informed financial writers garble information they could easily clarify by calling their colleague in the automotive department.

Last edited:
lol this article is a joke. Personally, my favorite line is "the current price is a rally from $185 in late April. Shares, now trading at $232, will be back under $200 again." Yes, there's a chance that Tesla may dip below $200 temporarily but to say it with such confidence just shows how opinion-based this article is and the lack of factual knowledge.

Love this article very much, fun to read:)

- - - Updated - - -

The Journal does not have a single point of view on Tesla. Dan Neil, the paper's automotive columnist and the only writer capable of knowledgeably and intelligently evaluating cars, has unambiguously expressed his strongly favorable view of the Model S.

What Neil wrote about Tesla in the Journal April 3, 2015 ought to cause the Journal's financial and political writers to hide their heads in shame.

I know a lot of gear heads. The only ones who don’t think the Model S is the best in the world haven’t driven one. (emphasis added)

Honestly that's a great read and no comedy;)
Well worth reading.

Here is a nice comedy article from Austria, Europe about Tesla Motors secretly refueling Model S with petrol:
Another car scandal: Tesla refueled at night secretly its electric cars with petrol

Have fun!

- - - Updated - - -

Your first link is not a valid URL and the second link doesn't work for me.
Here is a valid link to the interview you refer to Teslas Elon Musk: cars, design and those falcon doors | Marketplace.org

Thank's for the hint and the additional press artice about Musk and the falcon wing doors.
Both links should be fine now.
The interview recording is embedded in the web page linked by the first link!

The The Street (yes, I did that on purpose) format is a good illustration of what reading online articles has come to: It's like having children interrupt you every two sentences.

Some irony with that article, in that the author had to portray the car as superior, and the company as brilliant, in order to present the make-a-gas-car theme.

Notes, for newcomers (and to the purpose of the Articles thread):

Amazingly, Tesla has been almost equally clear that it hasn't been considering any form of plug-in hybrid
It's documented in the Ashlee Vance book, that Tesla studied this issue long and hard, considering various hybrid arrangements, before deciding they wanted a pure EV. It was the result of research, more than from stubborn opinion.

1. Gasoline prices decline, and electric car subsidies go away:
In this scenario, all other things equal, Tesla would face sales headwinds.
This is my opinion, but most of us would be happy to see both gasoline subsidies and electric subsidies removed together. And that changes or at least limits the effect on the car sales market.

A. Someone might want to buy Tesla for its superior direct sales network!
Tesla's "no dealers required" battle is far from resolved, so this idea is a bit premature. Though, it's fun to think what would happen to the dealership model if the Big 2-1/2* found a way in.

*The "Big Three" were considered to be GM, Ford, and Chrysler. A bit of a poke at what's now called FCA.

Just so people are aware TMC was recently trolled by a person named "Freddy", starting FUD threads about suspension failures and autopilot dangers. He has since been removed and all posts deleted. He is currently posting on Seeking Alpha as "Ralph Vader", and has previously posted there and many other places as "Keef Wivaneff". His telltale tactics include excessive use of capital letters, recurring spelling errors, referring to Elon as "Ewon" and "Eloon", posting pictures of wrecked Tesla's claiming the accidents were always from flaws in the vehicle, and general nonsense regarding Tesla.

Just so people are aware TMC was recently trolled by a person named "Freddy", starting FUD threads about suspension failures and autopilot dangers. He has since been removed and all posts deleted. He is currently posting on Seeking Alpha as "Ralph Vader", and has previously posted there and many other places as "Keef Wivaneff". His telltale tactics include excessive use of capital letters, recurring spelling errors, referring to Elon as "Ewon" and "Eloon", posting pictures of wrecked Tesla's claiming the accidents were always from flaws in the vehicle, and general nonsense regarding Tesla.

Heh. Do you need the troller of trolls back?

I kid I kid.

That guy has some serious mental issues. I think he has posted on the Tesla yahoo message board non-stop for the last 2 to 3 years. I'm at the point of feeling sorry for him (well, almost).

Yeah. I've had numerous arguments with him in comments sections. He is truly a crazy person. Maybe not as bad as Jim543678 since that guy posts false NHTSA reports. He's pretty close though. He once went on about how the SpaceX launches were faked. He has a fake video on YouTube showing a brake failure.