Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The LA Times probably takes the crown away from the WSJ as the most anti-Tesla major newspaper around. You can pretty much count on the LA Times for such FUD. I suppose one only needs to look at the newspaper's owners or major advertisers to understand the bias.
I thought Forbes.com is carrying the flag recently.

Is Faraday Future The Second Coming Of Tesla?

George Hotz's Self-Driving Car Startup Comma.ai Poaches Senior Tesla Engineer

Why Wait For The Tesla Model 3? Here Are The Affordable Electric Cars You Can Buy Right Now

Three Stocks To Short Before Earnings: Apple, Tesla, And Twitter

Tesla's Stock Is Running Out Of Fuel With Model X Recall

This article is ridiculous but given how fast the CUV market is growing the author's central premise -- that Tesla could sell more CUVs (Model Y) than sedans (Model 3) -- could turn out to be right.

With 325,000 reservations in one week for what the author believes is the 'less popular' sedan, that would mean that Tesla does have a big problem -- figuring out how to double its production once Model Y is released. Seems like a pretty good problem to have!

BusinessInsider is not an actual "news" organization. It is a site that runs opinion pieces written by sponsors writers, you can trust nothing at all from that site. Nothing.

anyone see the latest hit piece on seeking alphalfa by Anton? someone "gave" him a model X to test for 2 weeks. speculation is its the one Ford bought and tore down. the regen terrified him

Wow... I looked this up just to read for the laughs...

1st paragraph: This guy wrote an article, but you can't trust him... I mean, I don't want to sound like I am on the level of car and driver... but I've had this for a week, so you can trust me.

2nd paragraph: Car looks good - Hey, this is actually a win for a bear, because people keep trying to say noone will buy it because it looks bad... Seeing someone who hates this car/company say it looks good is a win. People will buy the worst cars just because they look good.

Next three paragraphs: Wow... he really takes three paragraphs to complain about a feature that has been on the Model S (walk away door locks) and a key that has been virtually unchanged. Where was the complaints about this on the MS? If this is the best you got, then I am *NOT* worried. Everyone loves the key on the S, and everyone LOVES that the car just locks and unlocks on it's own without you having to remember. You spent a week and you couldn't grasp this? I just lost any impression of a good review when you fail at the key system... It isn't hard or complicated. And if you don't want to worry then you are welcome to go back to the old key style that you are used to, and manually lock and unlock the car (you can turn it off in the system settings).

7 paragraphs on the front doors being "poorly designed" while admitting to not being an engineer. And the way he describes the door hitting the other car, that would have surely caused damage. So the fact that he found none sounds to me like an over-exaggeration for the effect of a "hit piece" that this isn't passing the sniff test. It's as if he is characterizing someone else's issues with the doors as if it were his own. Yes, there have been issues with the auto-opening doors. Probably why they haven't put them on the S yet. Not sure this needed 7 paragraphs though...

1 paragraph on yet another thing that has been part of the S since day one. Sorry he is just now finding out about this, but he is supposed to be "the investment car review guy"... or some such. So how didn't he find this out on the S? All you need to do is tap the touch screen, and the car is back on.

2 nice-ish paragraphs on the wings. followed by two negative bullets about the wings. If you don't like attention you shouldn't buy a Tesla. Period. The Model X more so. This brand is quickly becoming like Lambo or Ferrari... you don't buy one unless you want the attention to go with it. Sorry... just the way it is. Same with any number of other high end / flashy brands. This is probably a negative for some (I have seen it posted) so it is fair to point it out, but I write this off as just part of the branding at this point. As for point 2, really? Do we have reliability issues with minivan doors or power lift gates? moving on...

Fit/Finish comment - Other than a handful of examples, I am not sure what people keep talking about with this... maybe it is just my untrained eye... but I never noticed weird gaps in either of the two cars I owned or any number of cars I have seen around, with exception for maybe the rear lift gate on the S... and I think this is a function of it being such a long single piece that is bolted on to two places at one end. Even a tiny amount of over/under-tightening of these is likely to throw the gaps off at the end.

Oh, so you have driven an S... so then why all the complaints about "issues" that have been there since 2012 in the way things work.

Some nice comments about the steering and handling, and then a random complaint about too much acceleration/deceleration. Uhhh, so learn to drive the car, buddy... You had it for a week and you still haven't figured out the pedals? It isn't just two settings, full on and full off, it is a pedal with a full range... All this to say he doesn't like the acceleration, and it gets old... really? You going to review a Ferrari next and then complain that it drives too fast? You can buy a slower MX, noone makes you pay for the P90DL if you don't want the speed.

Then complains about autopilot... I can't wait for a review on the MB/Audi/BMW review where he hates on what is essentially the same feature, but worse... Again, noone makes you buy or use this option... it is an option after all.

More fit and finish complaints... maybe the early cars do have an issue... seems like he is just complaining to complain...

I would disagree with the statement that carplay and android auto have narrowed the advantage... I have been in these other cars, and their system is just not as intuitive or well built... which makes sense because they are trying to make a generic interface across completely different interior designs... this becomes difficult to make work well. This would be the equivalent of getting Android OS to run on a Windows Phone and then wondering why the user experience sucks... Uhhh because the supporting buttons wasn't designed for it properly...

Folding second row seat complaint - Yeah, way to just repeat what I am sure you read online... Same with the roof rack complaint... can we move on?

Don't tell me what options I "Need". If I bought it, I would be happy without the premium upgrades package (and hey look no more auto-opening door issues!), 5 seats (I don't need a back row...), premium sound (why do you need satellite radio when they give you free access to slacker?), and towing is subjective (I wouldn't need it). So no, if the range of the 75D is enough for you, then by all means get the base model and it will be a GOOD SUV.

What a trash review. Even his legitimate complaints were overkilled by his desire to just trash the car... I give this review a 2/10...

anyone see the latest hit piece on seeking alphalfa by Anton? someone "gave" him a model X to test for 2 weeks. speculation is its the one Ford bought and tore down. the regen terrified him

I am not sure it is the Ford car. he stated it had every option, but NOT the 22" rims. Not sure what the car was delivered with. On founders & signature cars I would expect 22". On the other hand, someone could have swapped it.

I asked the question in the (currently last) comment on his article. Let's see if he answers.

I am not sure it is the Ford car. he stated it had every option, but NOT the 22" rims. Not sure what the car was delivered with. On founders & signature cars I would expect 22". On the other hand, someone could have swapped it.

I asked the question in the (currently last) comment on his article. Let's see if he answers.
Just because it's a founders, doesn't mean it has 22" rims. Heck, my guess would be most have the 20" wheels because of the better range and less wear.

There is a Bloomberg video about Model X that sounds like it should be good and balanced, but when you watch it, it devotes about 15% of running time to showing the reporter twiddling her thumbs waiting for a supercharge, along with a shot of "Two hours remaining" on the main screen. She never discusses how great it is to wake up to a fully charged car, never mentions safety or autopilot, that supercharging is free, ... arrggh. Overall, it is damning with faint praise.