Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

As Model 3 deliveries ramp up, are you worried about charger queuing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That happened to me on the aforementioned trip last weekend above. That was a first. You can however change the setting either higher or lower as the attached message says to suit your needs. Again splash and go seems to be the long term answer. I needed 96 miles actual to make to destination. I unplugged right after taking this pic. MY car charges to 249. My car also has free supercharging. Well just because its free, does not necessarily behove you to fill it to max.

50 minutes once or 25 or 20 minutes twice. Last weekend it was chancing it stopping more than once. I met some great people though. Sorry for the dust. Great camera, too much detail. Going 80-85MPH most of the way. IT was also quite hot and the tires are plumped up beyond the 45PSI. All good stuff. View attachment 447015

That message is interesting - When I was in Southern California in a Model 3 in late May this year, I had a similar message but with no option to adjust charging limit. (see photo below from San Clemente 20 stall location) It was far more "this is the limit". In saying that, it wasn't actually enforced though. We were able to charge up higher with no fees/forced stopping.

I had it at Santa Ana, San Juan Capistrano, Fountain Valley and Buena Park. The only time I didn't have this message was at the Redondo Beach Supercharger after a baseball game at 23:30. It's a bit insane there though as there are a TON of Ss & Xs around and they all have free Supercharging. Superchargers are also located more like petrol stations instead of here where they're clearly designed as distance driving stop overs.

IMG_8528.jpeg

I can see that home charging will be the norm, but when you're on a longer trip it must be a real PITA to have to wait a while for a charging bay to be available (plus your own charge time of course). I've become so accustomed to fast & smooth fill-ups at petrol stations that it's got me a little concerned. I guess the usual first EV jitters!
Only the same as a que on a nk holiday took us 20 minuets last bank holiday drive out

Surely all should be converted to CCS by now?

Conversion of Supercharger stalls to CCS stated in earnest in February. Across the WHOLE of EU.

Tesla completed all-stalls conversion to CCS at 8 sites in UK during AUGUST alone ...

Tesla rolled out 2 CCS stalls at over 65% of Supercharger sites across the whole of the EU in the first two months, and 88% by the end of month 3, including UK ones before left-hand-drive M3 was available (first CCS stall in UK was end Feb 2019)

I think the rate of rollout of all-stalls has progressed at a much more impressive rate than anyone would have expected.

CCS can charge at any 3rd party site too, of course, so if Supercharger not available then Model-3 has that option too

I think it’s surprising they’ve not done all the stalls as they visit each site. I’ll bet the time travelling between sites is more than the time it takes to convert 8 stalls. Particularly if there are two or three engineers in a van.

I think it’s surprising they’ve not done all the stalls as they visit each site. I’ll bet the time travelling between sites is more than the time it takes to convert 8 stalls. Particularly if there are two or three engineers in a van.
I would guess they have a parts supply shortage otherwise it doesn't make sense that they didn't convert them all at once

Telford's my closest and there's never more than 2 or 3 charging at the same time (I currently charge my zoe there on the way back from a long trip).
Teslas are currently massively concentrated in South East right now so Telford as an outlier is always going to be one of the quieter ones. Good that it's there though since the next one you would hit when travelling west into Wales is Ballacolla in Ireland!

Both of the ChargePlaceScotland chargers in Lochwinnoch were occupied yesterday when I popped round to charge up. One was occupied by a nice green Model S, and the other by some hideous hybrid thing. Not a big problem, I just tried again this morning and both slots were clear.

Both of the ChargePlaceScotland chargers in Lochwinnoch were occupied yesterday when I popped round to charge up. One was occupied by a nice green Model S, and the other by some hideous hybrid thing. Not a big problem, I just tried again this morning and both slots were clear.

slightly off topic - but I signed up on their website (Charge your car) ahead of my scheduled Model 3 later this month.

I can't then make out what I need to do - do I need the app? the RFID card? What payment is it? It's not particularly clear.

slightly off topic - but I signed up on their website (Charge your car) ahead of my scheduled Model 3 later this month.

I can't then make out what I need to do - do I need the app? the RFID card? What payment is it? It's not particularly clear.

Either the app or the RFID card. Either way you need to register a payment method, but you only get charged if you order the RFID card for an annual payment of £20. I haven't tried using the app to initiate a charge yet; I find it more convenient just to pull the RFID card out and tap it against the charger.

I think it’s surprising they’ve not done all the stalls as they visit each site.

They are doing I think?

I think the aim was to initially do two-stalls-at-90+%-of-sites across the whole of EU pronto (that took 3 months), and then all-stalls thereafter (that's been going on for about 5 months so far)

Of the few sites that did not have any stalls done during the early mods phase, the ones done recently have been done all-stalls

I reckon 16 sites (out of about 50 in UK) have not been completed. However, at least one of those has 6-out-of-8 done so that feels to me more like "had a problem doing the last 2" rather than "some done, coming back later" ... or could be that the crowd-sourced data is duff :rolleyes:

I signed up on their website (Charge your car)

I have used CYC, although not recently. I don't have RFID (I use 3rd party charging once or twice a year, its not worth the annual subscription to me ...). For CYC I initiated the charge on the APP, and then got a bill by email and they debited my card.

The location of their own Stall, on the map on their own APP, was off by a mile (that wasted half an hour of my time driving around surrounded by fields of Wheat thinking I was being a Plonker ... crowd-sourced location on PlugShare was spot-on, so suggest you start with their map instead of CYC one!!). Plugshare likely to have a nice photo of the location that some kind soul has uploaded :)