Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ask Me Anything -- Motor Trend's Jonny Lieberman Defends Picking the Benz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well said artsci, + 1000...

I know that Jonny has left the building but I want to suggest this safety test.

Jonny, park the S-Class in your garage, close the garage door, and turn on the engine. And stay in the car. Run a stop watch to see how long you survive. This great, highly praised car emits poison that kills living things. Then multiple that by the millions of cars on the road. If you're rational, you'd conclude that all ICE's are engines of death on a global scale. It's just a slow death. This is why auto journalists have to start being accountable for the damage being done by fossil fuel powered vehicles.

I was in Scottsdale, AZ and saw a S500, and while I'm certain the interior is everything that one should expect from a MB, the exterior looked dated and boring. That said, whether we like the style of the S500 or MS, opinions on style is very subjective--I do like the MS' style more, by the way. To be fair, I haven't driven either and am a true admirer of the MS and it's electric drive-train and current infrastructure. However, all indications are that the MS' instant high torque is a blast, only compared to roller-coasters and what people think being launched in a rocket might feel like. Oh yeah, and then there's it's amazing corning and breaking, all wrapped up into a car that brings reasonable environmental consciousness within a sexy package.

The S500 might be good, but the MS is great in more ways than almost any ICE based vehicle can be. Others have talked more at length about those ways so I need not repeat them, but those ways are facts and not only subjective.

I just got my p85 Tesla delivered five days ago. My partner's wife just got the S series which I got to ride in. Different strokes for different folks. My Tesla is pretty loaded and is no doubt the winner. I have kept my GTI VW which is a great car for fears that the Tesla may not meet my expectations. After a week I am totally convinced I do not need a back up car. This is the car of the future. Finally a concept car has come to fruition.

Originally Posted by jonnylieberman
I plugged the car in at 3:00 pm to 110 volts (I don't own an electric car -- I should, but don't have a charger at my house) and the next morning at 8:00 am I was SHOCKED to discover that I'd gained 27-miles of range.

I call BS on this too. 3 pm until 8 am equals 17 hours of charge time. 17x4=68 miles, not the SHOCKING 27. While not great, it's much better than the 27 miles you claim. Something is off on your math.

Originally Posted by jonnylieberman
I plugged the car in at 3:00 pm to 110 volts (I don't own an electric car -- I should, but don't have a charger at my house) and the next morning at 8:00 am I was SHOCKED to discover that I'd gained 27-miles of range.

I call BS on this too. 3 pm until 8 am equals 17 hours of charge time. 17x4=68 miles, not the SHOCKING 27. While not great, it's much better than the 27 miles you claim. Something is off on your math.

Good point. It may not have gained 4 mi per hour but at least 3. Possible car set for timed charging and started at midnight, which would give credence to jonny's number but further impugn him for failing to do his homework. Typical of most journalists, unfortunately. Either too busy or over confident that he "knows cars".

Good point. You should see at least 2 miles added per hour. Something is wrong with his story. He has left the building I guess and is no longer interested in defending his position. Maybe he realized how wrong he was in his assessment.

Good point. You should see at least 2 miles added per hour. Something is wrong with his story. He has left the building I guess and is no longer interested in defending his position. Maybe he realized how wrong he was in his assessment.

Or he decided we are a bit too passionate for him, and didn't want to get sucked into the vortex. It's possible that he's got many other cars out there lined up to test, and other advocates to rile up.

Hi Jonny, thanks for coming on here to talk with Tesla fanatics. The lion's den, you might say.

I wonder, is there also a Mercedes owners' forum that you visited to discuss the comparison? Would love to read that if so.

I've been watching your videos for a few years now and will continue to watch them, keep up the good work (entertaining plus informative).

I was immediately saddened when you said you had 75 miles of range when you got the car. This means that the car was not understood by your team. Also, when you said you didn't have proper charging at your house (a regular socket is not proper charging for an electric car) - I came to the conclusion that this was a hastily-put-together review that did not pay electric cars the respect they deserve. Electric cars are undeniably the way of the future, and you guys need to understand the ways in which they are different from combustion cars, so that you can properly review them. These comments about the Model S are not conclusive based on the preparation you and your team did prior to giving the car to you. I look forward to a proper review from you, where you get a 240V socket at your house (at least) - don't forget you will eventually get more and more electric cars to test. In 10 years people will look back at this review and laugh at the stone-age attitude shown by the review team. And they will know how difficult it is to get gasoline, since so many gas stations will have closed.

The Mercedes beats the Tesla in interior quality and luxury, I do not doubt that, but that's it. You gave it the win despite your other comparisons of performance, price (including running costs) and things like cargo space, all of which favor the Model S. People who buy a S550 do not buy it because it's their only car and it's what they'll have to lug everything around in. Buyers of the Model S undoubtedly lug stuff around in it without hesitation... it is a practical car.

Your comments about safety were totally speculative, and frankly, out-of-order for a professional journalist. This brand new Mercedes has no track record whatsoever to look at, and there are no government test videos to watch. (though I think I did see one from Mercedes) The Model S which is a 2012-vintage car, has 2 years of track record, and there are no deaths or permanent injuries yet, only glowing stories of how good it does in crash and fire situations. Yet, with nothing except speculation to go on, you still said the Mercedes was a safer car. Please stop discussing a car's ability to protect occupants who deliberately ride without safety belts on... that is ridiculous and irrelevant. It's something Jeremy Clarkson might talk about.

This was clearly a "luxury comparison" only, no doubt about it, and I am not surprised the Mercedes won it. However if you do a comparison where all factors are in play, I think the Mercedes couldn't possibly emerge victorious.

Wow, Hey there jonny!
nice pic of the tesla burning in this months motortrend...and half page on the added protection needed. :wink:
love motortrend, by the way...been a subscriber for years, and was reading my dads for years previous to that.
the only problem with being a tesla fanatic is the wait for the model x, and gen 3 review. ICE's are getting stale.

To stick to the thread topic...here is my burning question...

Why are Motortrends's letter of the month prizes so weird? You would figure you dudes come by some super cool stuff.

edit:
just read the thread. comparing cars always is pretty subjective. 'car mags' all the time compare cars without truly defining the criteria. lots of times, even despite the numbers it comes down to 'feel', and objectivity gets left in the glovebox. thats probably where jonny is/was coming from. i personally have no problem with that. thats why they make chocalate and vanilla.

Last edited: