Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to price out options for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your prices are not correct. I went to the BMW and AUDI websites and your prices are just not correct.
MY prices came directly from the websites "build your own...". You need to be sure to select all options to get the highest price. That is what produces a $161,000 Model S, for example. Paint,interior trim, wheels, etc are all contributors. I'm a bit too lazy to redo all the calculations and reintroduce them here. Thirty years of working with auto manufacturers on pricing/promotion has taught me how to do this. I did not get it wrong.

Reactions: Alketi
Note Here are my BMW numbers:
320i sedan base $33450
M4 Convertible max options $107564
The 4 series and 3 series are the same vehicles except that the 4 series is 2 door and the 3 series is 4 door. Thus I prices the M4, it is ten thousand or so less if we stay to four door sedans only. BMW just made the extra model designation a few years ago when they figured out they could charge extra for only two doors.

I could save these only in web archive and did not try to change format to present them here.

Yeah The M3 look like it should top out around 90K (starts at 64K for a stick). The S4 starts at 49k, looks to top out around 70K. For reference the ATS-V starts at 60k as well and tops out around 77K.

I don't see an issue with the PDL version of the 3 coming in around 70-90 as it would be in pretty good company in that price range (really not sure why the Audi is so much cheaper than the others). 100K would be a stretch, in my opinion.

Here is where you would start to configure the BMW 3 series. TESLAS M≡ is starting lower and comparable. That's my point.

upload_2016-8-31_12-33-28.png

MY prices came directly from the websites "build your own...". You need to be sure to select all options to get the highest price. That is what produces a $161,000 Model S, for example. Paint,interior trim, wheels, etc are all contributors. I'm a bit too lazy to redo all the calculations and reintroduce them here. Thirty years of working with auto manufacturers on pricing/promotion has taught me how to do this. I did not get it wrong.
I'm not talking about "highest" prices.

My point is (before this gets really stupid) that the M3 is comparably priced to its competition. All I know from Tesla/Elon is the starting price.

Yeah The M3 look like it should top out around 90K (starts at 64K for a stick). The S4 starts at 49k, looks to top out around 70K. For reference the ATS-V starts at 60k as well and tops out around 77K.

I don't see an issue with the PDL version of the 3 coming in around 70-90 as it would be in pretty good company in that price range (really not sure why the Audi is so much cheaper than the others). 100K would be a stretch, in my opinion.

I agree with you here. I also feel the car feels more luxurious at the base level than the tesla base. For example the S4 has alcantera seats base not cloth. The BMW M3 has a carbon fiber roof. Yes it costs a lot but if you look at the BMW M3 compared to the BMW 3 series every body panel is practically replaced. It is a lot more changes than what Tesla puts in their PXXDL models. It isn't just a powertrain difference. Mirrors, fenders, etc... All different. The Audi A4 to S4 is a better comparison because the body is identical with just way more power. If there was an RS4 in the states (I saw one in Switzerland) I think they change out the body panels too.

Reactions: jkk_
Note Here are my BMW numbers:
320i sedan base $33450
M4 Convertible max options $107564
The 4 series and 3 series are the same vehicles except that the 4 series is 2 door and the 3 series is 4 door. Thus I prices the M4, it is ten thousand or so less if we stay to four door sedans only. BMW just made the extra model designation a few years ago when they figured out they could charge extra for only two doors.

I could save these only in web archive and did not try to change format to present them here.
I just called BMW and asked them a stupid yet relevant question to this thread.

I told them that I want to order their M3 and that I needed to get the price above $90K. After 10 min of conversation...they couldn't. I'm not sure how Teslas M≡ could approach $100K. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Love
Reactions: jkk_
I'm not talking about "highest" prices.

My point is (before this gets really stupid) that the M3 is comparably priced to its competition. All I know from Tesla/Elon is the starting price.
With this I agree. There is little question that the M3 base price was set to equate with the others. As for the other extreme, it probably only matters to Tesla's margins. Just as with the competitors the greatest volumes will be close to the base price. The US average BMW 3-Series sales price is around $43,000 , just about what Elon forecast for the Model 3. The base model with no options is a nice car too, as will be the base Model 3.

I agree....Cadillac ATS v, BMW m3, Audi S4 should be approximate costs of AWD ludicriuous mode tesla model 3....and possibly the tesla will cost less....depending on options chosen.

With this I agree. There is little question that the M3 base price was set to equate with the others. As for the other extreme, it probably only matters to Tesla's margins. Just as with the competitors the greatest volumes will be close to the base price. The US average BMW 3-Series sales price is around $43,000 , just about what Elon forecast for the Model 3. The base model with no options is a nice car too, as will be the base Model 3.
whew.... thanks.

I only made my comments because there are folks here who were providing outrageous M≡ prices as though the M≡'s prices were somehow set by the S/X. The price of the ≡ have been set by who/what Tesla said they are competing with. Investors bought in - and provided funding.

Take no value in that interior photo. That is still the car from the reveal and was nowhere near even close to production intent.

I think we should take some value with that photo, and make noise that that is not going to cut it. That is, give feedback so Tesla know what we want.

I just called BMW and asked them a stupid yet relevant question to this thread.

I told them that I want to order their M3 and that I needed to get the price above $90K. After 10 min of conversation...they couldn't. I'm not sure how Teslas M≡ could approach $100K. Maybe I'm missing something.

:D You really are ludicrous - while I don't agree with you about everything (not referring to this max price discussion) I do love your craziness ;)

Back to the original post, I think that Tesla will have a reasonable upgrade package for around $42,500 or exactly what you will get back from the US government and still making it a 35k. For me as the original poster suggested if there is a 60kw option that gets 260+ and is under $44k I am getting it 100%.

The other thing to keep in mind is they will want to keep some distance between the 3 and the S. They still want to sell a ton of Model S' so even with options I don't see it approach much more than 60k. I don't care what BMW does, Tesla is different and if they are going to pump out 400,000 of them in 2018 they will need to have less options rather than more.

Then why get bent out of shape when the performance model of the 3 is 70 or 80 thousand? That model has no comparison to the standard 3 series. Or am I missing something?
Bent out of shape? I'm already out of shape.

Anywhooo. $80k for the M3 ( in my opinion ) would be insane. Especially for a Tesla that isn't slated as having increased prices for things to support a future model.