Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to price out options for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's look at the competition...

Lexus IS 350FSport LOADED - $50,500
BMW 330xi Every check box - $58,000
Audi A4 Premium Plus LOADED - $48,000
Infiniti Q50 Sport AWD LOADED - $55,000 (But you can negotiate these down quite a bit)

I think many people who "look at the competition" will also:

1. Take into account the savings from not buying gas, having oil changes, new brakes, etc.
2. Rebates on EV's.
3. Driving in carpool lanes alone in the vehicle.
4. Ability to charge your car via Solar Panels (free charging from the sun).
5. They are not a "Tesla".

For many people, other than you, I think these will outweigh the difference in price of those vehicle you list above. But, of course, Tesla won't win over everyone and for those like you, who see no difference between much more expensive batteries vs. an ICE, and don't really care about the difference between the two, there's always those cars you list. Tesla won't be selling to everyone. The vehicle market is HUGE. I happen to think there are a lot of people like me who have children and are concerned about their future. Buying a Tesla to me is not the same as it is for you. It's about my children's future. But at the same time, I'm not so naive as to think I am changing the world by buying a Tesla, or that Tesla itself will even change the world, since I think it's too late, and we're circling the drain, but I do have my legacy. In fact that's all I've got is my legacy. And when my kids and grandchildren (to come) look back on me when I'm gone, they will be able to say that I had a Leaf and a Tesla long before most people had even one electric vehicle. At least I made an effort, even if it was made in vain. I keep repeating this in different threads but I think it's important.

Last edited:
Reactions: SureValla
I think many people who "look at the competition" will also:

1. Take into account the savings from not buying gas, having oil changes, new brakes, etc.
2. Rebates on EV's.
3. Driving in carpool lanes alone in the vehicle.
4. They are not a "Tesla".

For many people, other than you, I think these will outweigh the difference in price of those vehicle you list above. But, of course, Tesla won't win over everyone and for those like you, who see no difference between much more expensive batteries vs. an ICE, and don't really care about the difference between the two, there's always those cars you list. Tesla won't be selling to everyone. The vehicle market is HUGE. I happen to think there are a lot of people like me who have children and are concerned about their future. Buying a Tesla to me is not the same as it is for you. It's about my children's future. But at the same time, I'm not so naive as to think I am changing the world by buying a Tesla, or that Tesla itself will even change the world, since I think it's too late, and we're circling the drain, but I do have my legacy. In fact that's all I've got is my legacy. And when my kids and grandchildren (to come) look back on me when I'm gone, they will be able to say that I had a Leaf and a Tesla long before most people had even one electric vehicle. At least I made an effort, even if it was made in vain. I keep repeating this in different threads but I think it's important.
Don't forget to mention the possible ability to charge your car via Solar Panels ( free charging from the sun).

Reactions: Canuck
One of the reasons why I believe that the options on the M3 will be less than on the MS is because they used the MS to pay for the M3's.
The M3's aren't paying for anything else. The purpose of the M3's are going to be mass marked cars ( mass market money).

I believe that after the M3......Tesla will have enough capital to build whatever they want without a need for any other model to have to raise capital for another model.

So, you think that Tesla (or anything for that matter) is going to have a feature that is one price for one model and another price for another model and no one will notice??? C'mon and think a little bit. Why would anyone buy a Model S anymore if the features are more expensive? You have to think logically on this. If it costs $1,500 for red multi coat paint for the Model S, it will be the same price for the Model 3. If the the air suspension is added to the Model S for $2,000 (or whatever it costs currently) it will be the SAME price for the Model 3. It is just common sense at this point. Anyone who is in business or taken a business class or even a darn math class for that matter should be able to see why they will be the same price for the same feature on all the Tesla vehicles.

As far as mass market money... the base model is mass market at $35,000, but the added features will make it a somewhat mass market luxury vehicle similar to the Lexus IS, BMW 3 Series, etc.. You can spend $35,000 and get a base model Lexus IS200t, OR you can spend $47,500 and get the IS200t F Sport. Same engine... just upgraded features, upgraded interior, upgraded body moldings, etc.. Now, people who opt for the larger battery and ludicrous mode, etc. on top of the extra features such as sunroof, leather interior, air suspension, etc. are going into BWM M3 money and greater.

If you all think you're going to get a fully loaded, decked out Model 3 with the largest battery and ludicrous mode for under $75k, you're out of your mind. It will still be upwards of the $90-$100K for a 100% fully loaded with every option and battery upgrade available. It is the nature of the beast.

Tesla will continue to use money from sales for future projects and vehicles. The Model 3 money will be used for the next generation of vehicles. That is how the car industry works. Making a profit and using some of that profit to create the next generation of vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: TacC and Canuck
I don't think you understand what Elon was saying when HE said ( not me ) that the MS directly paid for the M3. Tesla didn't have any profits to build the M3 from. It was itemized in to the price of the MS. In other words....they allocated money from the MS directly to the M3. Tesla didn't sell MS's and then reach into the bag of profits and use that to fund the M3's. They sold an MS and built in ...lets say..... 19-40% ( I'm guessing here) of the cost of the sale was dedicated to the M3. No MS sales .... No M3. The M3 can be sold at cost....without adding any extra in for another model. They can probably just add their 5%-15% profit in to the M3 and make enough capital to do whatever they want to do in the future.

Ummmm, you are very wrong. Tesla is funding the Model III with investor capital infusion. They've done several already, and are likely to have to do another one before the end of next year. The Model S built investor confidence so they could raise more money. Tesla is spending way more money than they're bringing in by selling the S and X models because they need to expand a lot more than just their factory lines to make the III a reality. They can only do this for so long. The Model III has to be a profitable one for Tesla.

Reactions: Model 3 and Alketi
So, you think that Tesla (or anything for that matter) is going to have a feature that is one price for one model and another price for another model and no one will notice??? C'mon and think a little bit. Why would anyone buy a Model S anymore if the features are more expensive? You have to think logically on this. If it costs $1,500 for red multi coat paint for the Model S, it will be the same price for the Model 3. If the the air suspension is added to the Model S for $2,000 (or whatever it costs currently) it will be the SAME price for the Model 3. It is just common sense at this point. Anyone who is in business or taken a business class or even a darn math class for that matter should be able to see why they will be the same price for the same feature on all the Tesla vehicles.

As far as mass market money... the base model is mass market at $35,000, but the added features will make it a somewhat mass market luxury vehicle similar to the Lexus IS, BMW 3 Series, etc.. You can spend $35,000 and get a base model Lexus IS200t, OR you can spend $47,500 and get the IS200t F Sport. Same engine... just upgraded features, upgraded interior, upgraded body moldings, etc.. Now, people who opt for the larger battery and ludicrous mode, etc. on top of the extra features such as sunroof, leather interior, air suspension, etc. are going into BWM M3 money and greater.

If you all think you're going to get a fully loaded, decked out Model 3 with the largest battery and ludicrous mode for under $75k, you're out of your mind. It will still be upwards of the $90-$100K for a 100% fully loaded with every option and battery upgrade available. It is the nature of the beast.

Tesla will continue to use money from sales for future projects and vehicles. The Model 3 money will be used for the next generation of vehicles. That is how the car industry works. Making a profit and using some of that profit to create the next generation of vehicles.
What are you talking about "no one will notice"? When did I say that? Everyone will notice. Its nothing to hide. Good question....why would someone buy something on an MS that is cheaper than the M3? I never said they would or wouldn't.

Again...think a little bit. I'll say it again for everyone. The competition for the M3 is not the MS.

You aren't listening or you aren't understanding. Let me slow it down.

Lets say Tesla charges $3K for AP on the MS
AP does not cost Tesla $3K - It costs Tesla $1K
-----> $1K is built in for M3 <------
so $1k (cost) + $1k (capital) + $1k (for M3) = $3K

Tesla spells it out in such a way that it will charge $2K for AP in the M3
Tesla still makes $1K capital from AP..... the "same profit" it makes on the MS's AP.

That's how it has been described over and over by Tesla as to how the M3 and its options can be an affordable car.
Tesla will be able to use straight profit ( the $1k example ) to build their additional models. They will be able to use capital.

I hope that's clear.

Last edited:
Ummmm, you are very wrong. Tesla is funding the Model III with investor capital infusion. They've done several already, and are likely to have to do another one before the end of next year. The Model S built investor confidence so they could raise more money. Tesla is spending way more money than they're bringing in by selling the S and X models because they need to expand a lot more than just their factory lines to make the III a reality. They can only do this for so long. The Model III has to be a profitable one for Tesla.
No I"m not very wrong. I'm giving examples and quotes from what Tesla gave.

You can say that they are lying if you want to...but this is not my idea.

Its the identical thing they did with the Roadster sales - in order to get the MS going. Per Tesla.

They told investors to hold on and that the M3 will be the first model that will generate capital. They told investors that their investments are good even though they don't have any capital at the moment. They laid out the business plan - if anyone cared to read it.

Last edited:
Reactions: melindav
Who buys cars new? I don't think that $35k is affordable for the average American. This average American.

A lot of people, apparently, since it's impossible to just make used cars to sell.

You should write Tesla a letter with your complaint/concern. Tesla deemed the M3 affordable / mass production transport.

Oh wait...GM said the same thing about the new Bolt. You might want to send them a letter also.

I think they just look at the facts:

Average new car price zips 2.6% to $33,560

Sorry,I meant Performance model upgrade! Not something I was planning on to get the white interior.Hopefully white will be an added color like gray and tan for the $2500 by the time model 3 rolls out.
On the Model X, white is available on an (otherwise) base model. It just goes to show that while we can speculate based on how things currently look on S/X, we really won't know for sure until the Model 3 design studio opens.

Me, to name one. There's a lot of us who own a Model S/X and have reserved Model 3's. The Model S is great but it's huge. I want a small, fast, electric car to zip around in (in addition to my Model S). The Model S/X don't meet that bill. I would love a new Roadster rather than the Model 3 but they are not going to make them again for some time and I don't want to wait. The older Roadsters are great but they don't really interest me since I want Supercharging and AP. There's more of us out there than you may think. If they make a Model 3 for $70k with ludicrous and everything else, they will really hurt Model S sales. But in this debate, I sure hope you are correct. Something tells me I'll be paying about $90k plus though for a fully loaded one.
Totally agree with just about everything here. I'm thinking fully loaded except ludicrous for $80k. And then I'll have a long hard look at how much the P is costing me (X is the road trip vehicle, so I don't need the range, which means without P I'd likely get the smallest battery). Then I'm pretty sure my wife will encourage me to get what I really want, because I've "earned it " (which I think is a bunch of hogwash, cause it's still ridiculous how much I'm spending on transportation - but it is what I want). Without battery or performance upgrades, a mid-$50s fully optioned Tesla is still a dream car.

That's why I also promote SolarEdge which I have on my roof. Click the link in my signature to follow my solar progress. Hopefully you will be inspired also.

My objective - to be as environmental friendly as possible - The cheapest way I can. Right now my panels will produce enough for my house and my M≡ once I get it.
I love my solar system. Except my roof is already full, and I was barely coming out at net zero without a Tesla. Gonna have to start paying for electricity again this winter for the Model X. And then when I get a Model 3.... At least the solar will be keeping me out of the higher pricing tiers for electricity.