Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi Q6 e-tron EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Audi production system looks quite 'slow' to me. I wonder how many motors they produce per week. The big Kuka robot at 15' seems to be way to big for the task it does.

As @Valore said, you usually make it slower for the videos, otherwise you can't see anything.

Also interesting as a comparison:

Audi apparently wants to start with 400 a day (each car needs 2), with the possibility to gradually increase output.
Audi Starts Production Of E-tron Electric Motors

But first they need to sell 70k a year, before they need to start thinking about a production increase.

Honestly, as interesting as these videos are to look at for laymen like us, the motors are probably about the least interesting part of EV manufacturing (which is probably why they are sharing these videos freely). The production techniques must be very mature since electric motors have obviously been manufactured in the millions for many years (ranging from things like washing machines over industrial vehicles to locomotives). The real magic happens in the battery packs, power electronics and software ...

Interesting. The guy in the video claims that regen braking can decelerate the car at up to 0.3g, which seems high (same as the Model 3 P with track mode). They also appear to have a new kind of blended braking system.
And up to 220kW regenerative braking! :eek:
Tesla usually does around 60kW with peaks around 90kW.

I guess those Le Mans hybrid racecars gave them some know how about regenerative braking.

Are they actually bragging about having regen?
No, it's just another blogger who has no idea what he is talking about. The potentially novel aspects of the Audi are (1) the degree of regen that it can apparently achieve (0.3g for such a heavy vehicle would indeed be impressive if true) and (2) that they appear to use a new kind of blended brake. It remains to be seen if they have solved the problems of existing blended systems (such as uneven transition from regen to friction braking).

No, it's just another blogger who has no idea what he is talking about. The potentially novel aspects of the Audi are (1) the degree of regen that it can apparently achieve (0.3g for such a heavy vehicle would indeed be impressive if true) and (2) that they appear to use a new kind of blended brake. It remains to be seen if they have solved the problems of existing blended systems (such as uneven transition from regen to friction braking).
Our 2015 e-Golf used the same Bosch electromechanical iBooster system that Tesla has used since the implementation of AP1. VW implemented a very good blended braking system. I could never tell what was regen and what was friction aside from the instrument panel power needle. The eTron certainly used that as a starting point.

On the other hand, our RAV4 EV has traditional vacuum assist hydraulic brakes and the regen blending is obvious and non-linear.

Our 2015 e-Golf used the same Bosch electromechanical iBooster system that Tesla has used since the implementation of AP1. VW implemented a very good blended braking system. I could never tell what was regen and what was friction aside from the instrument panel power needle. The eTron certainly used that as a starting point.

On the other hand, our RAV4 EV has traditional vacuum assist hydraulic brakes and the regen blending is obvious and non-linear.

From what I read about it the Audi system is significantly more advanced and uses brake-by-wire system, so no hydraulic connection from the brake pad to the brake booster like on Tesla and all other cars but entirely electronic.
It isn't made by Bosch but Continental.
Continental Automotive

Charging with an Audi e-tron Quattro

Fastned (a Dutch charging provider) is saying that the Audi e-tron quattro can charge at the max 150kW speed till around 80% on average, and that it charges with at least 50kW till 98%. That is completely unprecedented for any EV, charging at such high speeds to such high energies. And they have obviously seen it happen.
Not a native English speaker, I'm not sure the article means that.