Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi vs Jaguar vs Tesla - Globe and Mail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, having read Globe and Mail's "comparative" review, it certainly comes across as an Audi sales pitch while also stating untruths (“Some time ago, nobody was really interested in battery technology,” Noest said. “This has really changed in the last year or so. Everybody wants to talk to us now.”). Boy, does Audi really like to push the narrative that it's ahead of the curve. Overall, they've got a decent vehicle to start off with - a nice interior although I don't like the tiered screens. The front seats look more adjustable with better leg support. I think it comes with a HUD, which I wish Tesla would do as well. If Tesla is looking at doing the same kind of Model 3 screen in a future S or X, then they need to make it a priority - in my opinion. Anyway, the link of the review is below.

“Some time ago, nobody was really interested in battery technology,” Noest said. “This has really changed in the last year or so. Everybody wants to talk to us now.”

Sponsor article =P

Yeah totally. Let's not forget VW has been promising electric (and briefly fuel cell) advances for years. They're the largest car company in the world and could have cracked this years ago, if they really wanted to. I am utterly unconvinced of their motives and I think they'd drop electric tomorrow if they could - way too disruptive to their product line and especially to their dealer + servicing model.

Yeah totally. Let's not forget VW has been promising electric (and briefly fuel cell) advances for years. They're the largest car company in the world and could have cracked this years ago, if they really wanted to. I am utterly unconvinced of their motives and I think they'd drop electric tomorrow if they could - way too disruptive to their product line and especially to their dealer + servicing model.

Agreed. While I would wish this move was part of a good, forward-thinking agenda, there's signs it's a response only. VW is still fighting against the penalties from the emissions scandals (which, as a corporation I guess it should), have had other questionable issues come to light (such as selling pre-production vehicles) and questionable numbers about range and such. Now, I agree that Tesla has also had some similar issues, but VW simply hasn't earned any trust back after all the fiascos.

It doesn’t read like an Audi press release any more than the typical automotive journalist “first look / first drive” review. These pieces tend to be a bit less critical.

The range is very disappointing on the Audi, but the interior design and (I assume) build quality are light years ahead of Tesla. I did drive an I-pace a few weeks ago as well and if I’m honest it’s a much nicer car than the Model S. Far more refined in terms of ride quality and tire and wind noise, and again with a much nicer interior. The Model S looks horribly dated and cheap in comparison to these newer vehicles.

The lack of a charging network is a huge issue though. I rarely supercharge but it’s invaluable to have the option to do so for longer journeys.

I’m pretty sick of hearing about all the wonderful EVs that the mainstream manufacturers are planning to launch and which have yet to really materialize. But now it does seem like we are going to have more choice at the higher end of the market. I think it would have made much more sense for Tesla to invest in a complete overhaul / redesign of the S and X rather than the semi and roadster, since now they have what is in the case of the S a seven-year-old design competing against brand new designs.

It doesn’t read like an Audi press release any more than the typical automotive journalist “first look / first drive” review. These pieces tend to be a bit less critical.

The range is very disappointing on the Audi, but the interior design and (I assume) build quality are light years ahead of Tesla. I did drive an I-pace a few weeks ago as well and if I’m honest it’s a much nicer car than the Model S. Far more refined in terms of ride quality and tire and wind noise, and again with a much nicer interior. The Model S looks horribly dated and cheap in comparison to these newer vehicles.

The lack of a charging network is a huge issue though. I rarely supercharge but it’s invaluable to have the option to do so for longer journeys.

I’m pretty sick of hearing about all the wonderful EVs that the mainstream manufacturers are planning to launch and which have yet to really materialize. But now it does seem like we are going to have more choice at the higher end of the market. I think it would have made much more sense for Tesla to invest in a complete overhaul / redesign of the S and X rather than the semi and roadster, since now they have what is in the case of the S a seven-year-old design competing against brand new designs.

I think that the Model S will have some interior revisions within the next couple of years. I agree that wind and road noise could be better along with using better materials, better seats (with more functionality - air cooled across the line, adjustable thigh support and side bolsters, etc - just think BMW comfort seats or the equivalent), better cargo organization (such as being able to store the cover properly in the trunk, to perhaps use it as a cargo shelf as well, maybe some foldable dividers in the under floor storage for grocery bags, maybe a accessory racking system on the back of the front seats). I'd like to see framed windows - it'll help prevent damage to the window lifts when there's ice on it and replace the pull handles with something like the Model X (these cars are truly designed without thinking about winter issues). I would think wireless charging would be an upcoming option if it's already in the Model 3.

Looking at my wish list, I'd say it would be some work but certainly not that extensive - at least from the armchair CEO perspective. I agree that doing a major overhaul would be in Tesla's best interest in order to compete with the other manufacturers.

I think that the Model S will have some interior revisions within the next couple of years. I agree that wind and road noise could be better along with using better materials, better seats (with more functionality - air cooled across the line, adjustable thigh support and side bolsters, etc - just think BMW comfort seats or the equivalent), better cargo organization (such as being able to store the cover properly in the trunk, to perhaps use it as a cargo shelf as well, maybe some foldable dividers in the under floor storage for grocery bags, maybe a accessory racking system on the back of the front seats). I'd like to see framed windows - it'll help prevent damage to the window lifts when there's ice on it and replace the pull handles with something like the Model X (these cars are truly designed without thinking about winter issues). I would think wireless charging would be an upcoming option if it's already in the Model 3.

Looking at my wish list, I'd say it would be some work but certainly not that extensive - at least from the armchair CEO perspective. I agree that doing a major overhaul would be in Tesla's best interest in order to compete with the other manufacturers.

Agreed, although a major interior redesign is a huge project. I dont think people spending $100k plus will tolerate an implementation of the Model 3 interior layout. My concern is the insanity of getting the Model 3 rolled out without bankrupting the company has meant that every other project has basically been shelved.

Audi has the benefit of sharing interior design of the e-tron with the A6, A7, A8 and Q8 and all of their sub-models. So even though adapting to an EV world will be tough, other non-EV models help them spread the costs.

Reactions: TrevTremaine

A bit less critical is one thing, not having a single substantially negative thing to say about the Audi while scattering lots of criticism of the competition throughout the entire article = advertorial. I find it hard to believe this is the perfect car and he didn't spot a single thing he didn't like or even found questionable.