Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Whats the reason for no CD Player in MS? Cause everybody has an iPod?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My previous car, an LS 460, had a multi-disk CD/DVD drive and an HDD. The audio system automatically converted audio CD's to MP3 files from CD to HDD. But due to concerns about copyright infringement, they placed a lot of restrictions on what could be copied (only original audio CD's - no copies - no CD's with MP3 or WMA). The car would play CDs with MP3 files - but wouldn't copy the files to the HDD.

By omitting the optical drive, Tesla has simplified their audio system (eliminated the extra complexity of having an optical drive) and also avoided the copyright issues - because if there is any copying of copyrighted material onto a BT or USB device, it's done before it gets to the car.

As more software functionality is added - would be even better if the car would be able to connect via WiFi and access content from personal media servers.

I think is is completely ridiculous that I'm going to spend $100,000 on a car and it doesn't even have an 8-Track tape player!!! How is that OK? My mothers 1977 Pontiac had one yet in 2013 Tesla still hasn't gotten the memo. Perhaps we should defer our cars until 2014 to see if an 8-Track player is available as part of the Studio Sound package?

I think is is completely ridiculous that I'm going to spend $100,000 on a car and it doesn't even have an 8-Track tape player!!! How is that OK? My mothers 1977 Pontiac had one yet in 2013 Tesla still hasn't gotten the memo. Perhaps we should defer our cars until 2014 to see if an 8-Track player is available as part of the Studio Sound package?
If I could get it for under $50, I'd totally buy a bluetooth-compatible 8 track tape player. The WTF factor would be priceless.

If I could get it for under $50, I'd totally buy a bluetooth-compatible 8 track tape player. The WTF factor would be priceless.

Perhaps one of these would fit in the opportunity area?

Alas, the volume does not go to 11.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 264

You can always make one bluetooth-compatible by adding something like this adapter (just picked one at random, not recommending this one in particular).

Sourcing the 8-track player might be more tricky: there seem to be a few tired-looking ones listed on ebay, though the combination will probably bust your $50 budget.

Probably none of them have a line-out, but should be relatively easy to tap something inside or put a dummy load on the speaker terminals.

Actually this is a pretty legal question, if you rephrase it a bit. Question is not really about CD vs USB but rather if it is possible to have two separate sources of material. For example in my current BMW I have my IPod connected and I typically listen to an audiobook. However when i ride with my little one she wants her store or music. It is pretty inconvenient to flip to her playlist since then I need to remember which chapter and approximate position I was at and then locate that place to continue my listening. So i solve this problem very simply - I have children things on MP3 disk I burned so I just flip between two sources and that's it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes I feel That car designers assume that kids are driven around by non-working mom who is only listening to kids stuff while husband is all about business. Some 50s point of view I think. Both my wife and me enjoy nice careers and I do like drive children around - they are MY children after all and I like spending time with them. I feel that car designers still live sometime in 50s

Actually this is a pretty legal question, if you rephrase it a bit. Question is not really about CD vs USB but rather if it is possible to have two separate sources of material. For example in my current BMW I have my IPod connected and I typically listen to an audiobook. However when i ride with my little one she wants her store or music. It is pretty inconvenient to flip to her playlist since then I need to remember which chapter and approximate position I was at and then locate that place to continue my listening. So i solve this problem very simply - I have children things on MP3 disk I burned so I just flip between two sources and that's it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes I feel That car designers assume that kids are driven around by non-working mom who is only listening to kids stuff while husband is all about business. Some 50s point of view I think. Both my wife and me enjoy nice careers and I do like drive children around - they are MY children after all and I like spending time with them. I feel that car designers still live sometime in 50s

Actually I'd call that a pretty hokey workaround. If you have an audio book on USB it should go back to where it was even if you played music in the meantime. That's the way the iPod works. The USB music support still needs quite a bit of improvement.

There is considerable room for improvement with the audio and navigation systems - which is a good thing, because unlike other manufacturers, Tesla is planning to continue to provide software updates, unlike my previous car that used the same software with the HDD-based audio and navigation system for the 6+ years I had that car.

In addition to automatically bookmarking long audio files (i.e., audiobooks), would also be useful to have protected content apps - like Audible - which would not only be able to play the protected content, but get full access to the owner's library of audio books. Without that ability, then you either have to use a mobile device via USB or BT that can run an app that plays the protected content, or do something to strip the DRM protection and convert to MP3 or another open format.

On the other hand... I've found it useful to listen to the audio book through my smartphone - so that my smartphone always knows the latest position - so that if I'm away from my car and want to continue listening to the book - I can do so with the phone - and when I get back to the car, I'll still be at the correct position. Having the car auto-bookmark wouldn't provide this type of synchronization with the same file being played on other devices.