Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin Build 2023 Quality Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've stated in previous threads that I'm not one for going through with a white glove and check listing delivery items. It was cloudy, and we weren't rushed by our delivery guy. We spent time looking it over for anything obvious, but nothing stood out. Our SA said any issues in the first few days just to bring back and they will take care of.

Now that we've had a chance to drive the car home, and during a very bright day here in Indiana we've noticed 3 slight issues we may need to address. I'm looking for advice on others who have had similar issues, and where you focus your attention during your service visits.

1. Car has a slight misalignment (only 2 miles on the car so I'm sure no one in QA drove it enough to notice). Pulls to the left.

2. This is our first Tesla in cold weather, so we put the windows up and closed the doors while exiting. Then we noticed "zpzzpt" the windows come down slightly. We know this is part of the icing avoidance - However the passenger window lowers farther than the driver side and sticks our slightly. Should this be of any concern or worry here?

3. As I was taking pictures I noticed a slight "indention" on the front windshield where it meets up with the roof of the car. This seems like it may be an issue but is it a risk for them to replace a brand new cars windshield this early?

Also Tesla Service (the app) has been great in communicating - however the invoice reads north of $1400 - I'm assuming all of this will be covered. We are still under 100miles and only had the vehicle for one day. Our Sales Associate said we would be fine, but I can't get anyone to commit to that on my text messages. :)

Attachments​

• IMG_1172.PNG
    IMG_1172.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    677.8 KB · Views: 2

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
So I've stated in previous threads that I'm not one for going through with a white glove and check listing delivery items. It was cloudy, and we weren't rushed by our delivery guy. We spent time looking it over for anything obvious, but nothing stood out. Our SA said any issues in the first few days just to bring back and they will take care of.

Now that we've had a chance to drive the car home, and during a very bright day here in Indiana we've noticed 3 slight issues we may need to address. I'm looking for advice on others who have had similar issues, and where you focus your attention during your service visits.

1. Car has a slight misalignment (only 2 miles on the car so I'm sure no one in QA drove it enough to notice). Pulls to the left.

2. This is our first Tesla in cold weather, so we put the windows up and closed the doors while exiting. Then we noticed "zpzzpt" the windows come down slightly. We know this is part of the icing avoidance - However the passenger window lowers farther than the driver side and sticks our slightly. Should this be of any concern or worry here?

3. As I was taking pictures I noticed a slight "indention" on the front windshield where it meets up with the roof of the car. This seems like it may be an issue but is it a risk for them to replace a brand new cars windshield this early?

Also Tesla Service (the app) has been great in communicating - however the invoice reads north of $1400 - I'm assuming all of this will be covered. We are still under 100miles and only had the vehicle for one day. Our Sales Associate said we would be fine, but I can't get anyone to commit to that on my text messages. :)

Attachments​

• IMG_1172.PNG
    IMG_1172.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    677.8 KB · Views: 2
That's unfortunate to hear you found some imperfections. The circle spot on the glass is hard to see, but I could definitely see the distorted branches on the reflection. I don't have any experience with their issues yet, but I do know YouTubers that follow like Ryan Shaw says they will always charge you in the app but deduct it later on. Hope you get those repaired sooner than later!

We, Tesla people scrutinize these cars so much more than any other brands. to a point that it's really paranoia. Every pic I've seen in the thread is normal and all other makes are similar. I'm sure there are bad ones, but these aren't it.
Look - I agree with you, look at all my other posts. I am also reporting what needs work, and how I’m proceeding. The forum is a vast pool of knowledge where we share our experiences. I’m sure if our CRV pulled to the right, had a window that doesn’t close fully, and a dent in the windshield, I’d go about it in the same way…

Look - I agree with you, look at all my other posts. I am also reporting what needs work, and how I’m proceeding. The forum is a vast pool of knowledge where we share our experiences. I’m sure if our CRV pulled to the right, had a window that doesn’t close fully, and a dent in the windshield, I’d go about it in the same way…
I don't doubt that, that's why I said, "we", Tesla people... most other people including myself don't check for panel gaps and paint or anything at all TBH and I never had a problem with any of the cars I bought. I will be doing the same when I pick up tomorrow but I don't think my bar is as high as the average Tesla owners.

I don't doubt that, that's why I said, "we", Tesla people... most other people including myself don't check for panel gaps and paint or anything at all TBH and I never had a problem with any of the cars I bought. I will be doing the same when I pick up tomorrow but I don't think my bar is as high as the average Tesla owners.
I agree, the Tesla community takes the inspection too far sometimes. I watched a few YouTubers that made me cringe at the things they were complaining about. However, Tesla did do it to themselves. smallindiana's response is 100% justified and pointing out legitimate concerns.
My personal bar is pretty high myself and I will see every imperfection but I won't complain about it unless completely unacceptable or can't fix it on my own

I agree, the Tesla community takes the inspection too far sometimes. I watched a few YouTubers that made me cringe at the things they were complaining about. However, Tesla did do it to themselves. smallindiana's response is 100% justified and pointing out legitimate concerns.
My personal bar is pretty high myself and I will see every imperfection but I won't complain about it unless completely unacceptable or can't fix it on my own
Agreed. I’m pretty easy going, and expected some minor imperfections during my first delivery day appointment, but I was completely caught off guard at how bad my first (Austin build) vehicle was at delivery. Paint issues, panel gaps, scratches on the seats, some sort of adhesive all over the interior, a scratched up rear bumper cover, ill fitting door trim on 2 doors, scratches and paint transfer on the rear of the vehicle potentially indicative of a minor collision at the factory (which may have made the panel gap worse)…even my SA admitted it would take about 2 weeks of body shop appointments to fix it up. And for a new car that passed the factory and the showroom? And for as much as I am paying?

I don’t ask for much, but geeze, it was just sad. Tesla does it to themselves, because if they are not doing good quality control, it falls on the consumer to do it for them.

I’m hoping my upcoming delivery #2 (my last chance on this order), another Austin build, fares better.

Agreed. I’m pretty easy going, and expected some minor imperfections during my first delivery day appointment, but I was completely caught off guard at how bad my first (Austin build) vehicle was at delivery. Paint issues, panel gaps, scratches on the seats, some sort of adhesive all over the interior, a scratched up rear bumper cover, ill fitting door trim on 2 doors, scratches and paint transfer on the rear of the vehicle potentially indicative of a minor collision at the factory (which may have made the panel gap worse)…even my SA admitted it would take about 2 weeks of body shop appointments to fix it up. And for a new car that passed the factory and the showroom? And for as much as I am paying?

I don’t ask for much, but geeze, it was just sad. Tesla does it to themselves, because if they are not doing good quality control, it falls on the consumer to do it for them.

I’m hoping my upcoming delivery #2 (my last chance on this order), another Austin build, fares better.
I hope I get a freemont build lol. I don't understand how they miss the mistakes like that, like what kind of people are they hiring? My conscience wouldn't let a car go by with that many glaring issues

I have no idea why I freaked out abut this. My service advisor sat me down, went over everything, walked around the vehicle with me, and changed the estimate to zero for peace of mind. Said they would take care of everything (should be about an hour)

Honestly I'll say it was miles ahead of anything I've ever experienced w/ our Honda. There is even a fancy Tesla waiting room!

I have no idea why I freaked out abut this. My service advisor sat me down, went over everything, walked around the vehicle with me, and changed the estimate to zero for peace of mind. Said they would take care of everything (should be about an hour)

Honestly I'll say it was miles ahead of anything I've ever experienced w/ our Honda. There is even a fancy Tesla waiting room!
How are they addressing the windshield?

How are they addressing the windshield?
As I've learned from research replacing it may actually be worse if it isn't lined up correctly. I had them document it on our account/car and make sure that it was looked at for "spec" on the repair but I asked that they didn't replace it today. My main concern was having them see it, put it in the computer that it was there at delivery, so if other issues pop up due to this "indention" it's documented.

Besides I may get a crack or chip in a week or two and then I'd be replacing it AGAIN - so at this point just let it ride for a bit. We have really good glass coverage due to our previous experience w/ rock/crack chips.

We, Tesla people scrutinize these cars so much more than any other brands. to a point that it's really paranoia. Every pic I've seen in the thread is normal and all other makes are similar. I'm sure there are bad ones, but these aren't it.
Really? You think taking delivery of a car with a glass chip on the Backlite glass (rear windshield) is normal? No way. My paint also wasn't perfect and my gaps weren't perfect but good enough. I agree people do spend too much time trying to find defects but there are legitimate quality concerns at Tesla even to this day. Granted they do fix your car but come on the last thing I wanted was a Backlite glass replacement on minute 1 of ownership. I only accepted it because I didn't want to lose out on the $7500 incentive from Tesla so it stings even more after the price drop. Such is life. I'm still enjoying the car. Already put over 2000 miles in 34 days of ownership

Really? You think taking delivery of a car with a glass chip on the Backlite glass (rear windshield) is normal? No way. My paint also wasn't perfect and my gaps weren't perfect but good enough. I agree people do spend too much time trying to find defects but there are legitimate quality concerns at Tesla even to this day. Granted they do fix your car but come on the last thing I wanted was a Backlite glass replacement on minute 1 of ownership. I only accepted it because I didn't want to lose out on the $7500 incentive from Tesla so it stings even more after the price drop. Such is life. I'm still enjoying the car. Already put over 2000 miles in 34 days of ownership
I'm not disagreeing with you and I think you're not disagreeing with me either.

I just picked up my car in socal and it's in my eye, great quality. Paint was good, gaps looked good, interior was good and accepted before it was unlocked. But again, I'm not as picky as most who are on here but my MY looked pretty good to me. The only thing so far is a very loud rattle coming from the pax side rear, I haven't looked into it yet.

BTW, this is a Austin build and no matrix and I could care less about a light.

Attachments

• modely.jpg
    modely.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 199
I just picked up my car in socal and it's in my eye, great quality. Paint was good, gaps looked good, interior was good and accepted before it was unlocked. But again, I'm not as picky as most who are on here but my MY looked pretty good to me. The only thing so far is a very loud rattle coming from the pax side rear, I haven't looked into it yet.

BTW, this is a Austin build and no matrix and I could care less about a light.
Very nice - congrats!

what does austin build get extra that fremont build does not get?
It used to be the rear cargo cover, but I am not sure if Fremont is doing those now also or not. I think that may be it for the MYLR? I’m not sure if Matrix headlights come from one factory or both currently.

The “MY AWD” (standard range) vehicle itself (with the 4680 battery and structural battery pack) is only made in Austin, as will Cybertruck whenever that becomes a thing.

• Informative